gone

oh I wasnt suggesting that it would be a good thing, its part of their personality! :D Just like any other breed has their traits.

Just out of curiosity

are breeders choosing traits and deciding what to change sometimes?

When you tweak with temperament

inevitably you always effect the dog's nerve.

Always when we make guard dogs 'softer'

and independent dogs more needy

the result is dogs that are not as steadfast in their response.

Clingy, hyperactive, neurotic - I hope the independent spitz (btw what is plural for sptiz? :o )

do not become that.

This is something my OH and I argue about a lot.

Huskies need that streak to help them survive.

If you had a dog that just did as it was told, you might find yourself sinking in a lake of ice.

There should be no argument.

Breed Huskies for less independence and you will change a whole lot more than propensity to sink in the ice.

Everything about the way the dog looks at its natural environment and human interactions is altered. Also the dogs sense of self in this context.

Edited by lilli

Our most hard-headed dogs are our best workers. The boys who are softer in temperament, are definately the weaker links in the team.

Yep, bet they're your most dependable and predictable too.

:)

Well.......that can depend on the day ;)

:laugh:

oh I wasnt suggesting that it would be a good thing, its part of their personality! :D Just like any other breed has their traits.

Just out of curiosity

are breeders choosing traits and deciding what to change sometimes?

When you tweak with temperament

inevitably you always effect the dog's nerve.

Always when we make guard dogs 'softer'

and independent dogs more needy

the result is dogs that are not as steadfast in their response.

Clingy, hyperactive, neurotic - I hope the independent spitz (btw what is plural for sptiz? :o )

do not become that.

This is something my OH and I argue about a lot.

Huskies need that streak to help them survive.

If you had a dog that just did as it was told, you might find yourself sinking in a lake of ice.

There should be no argument.

Breed Huskies for less independence and you will change a whole lot more than propensity to sink in the ice.

Everything about the way the dog looks at its natural environment and human interactions is altered. Also the dogs sense of self in this context.

;) You should be telling that to him.

I love the husky how it is.

It's a shame its a point we can't agree on, so it looks like Esky will be the last of her kind :(

I love independent breeds and I have lots of fun training mine, especially my beagle as she's way more independent than my sooky Sibe! I would never say it's impossible to train them (though lots of people have told me it is) but it is definitely more of a challenge sometimes! :laugh:

Agreed about Sibes and obedience, I wonder if anyone is trying to breed out the independent / obstinate streak in Spitz breeds?

I truly hope not!

I really hope not too - some of us love the independance of the a Spitz !

Yup, I don't even mind it when I ask Kyojin to do something and he gives me the finger first :laugh:

Soooo.....I read the other thread on this - and knowing the risk of losing my head, curiosity's still got the better of me :S

Why are people here racing sibes and not eurohounds? They look so much better suited to our climate.....

There are people in Australia racing Eurohounds. Very good friends of mine actually :) It's all a matter of personal preferance I guess and what breed appeals to you.

Soooo.....I read the other thread on this - and knowing the risk of losing my head, curiosity's still got the better of me :S

Why are people here racing sibes and not eurohounds? They look so much better suited to our climate.....

There are people in Australia racing Eurohounds. Very good friends of mine actually :) It's all a matter of personal preferance I guess and what breed appeals to you.

Yep all down to preference.

I prefer the looks of Spitz breeds. ;)