How Can I Stop A Dog From Going Through Our Bump Gate?

heroeswit

My Great Dane Cross (outside dog only) has decided that he want to go through our bump gate everytime we drive in. He wanders the street (almost no traffic) and he won't listen to me when I call him. I now have the neighbours complaining and he took one of the neighbours chooks (I think he only took it from this neighbours place is becuase I have finally got her to stop feeding him and now he thinks that there is food there). I have been training him to obey me but he was my father's dog before he died and then my sisters dog after that until she moved away for Uni. My mum and I are at a loss as to what we can do.

We have tried putting on a lead until we drive into the yard but he just pulls straight out of the collar. We are now hoping to have him on a chain when we are not home but I don't want to with all the horror stories I have heard about. Mum is so fed up with all the problems with this dog that today she said that because noone would want him the only other option would be to PTS crying.gif

I am hoping there are other options I can try.

Please give me any suggestions

Thanks

PS http://www.bumpgates.com/ this is the bump gate website if you are wondering what it is

Oh dwilds, tough situation. I actually think a secure run of suitable size might be best for this dog.

If he's wandering, killing other animals and won't respond to you I think it's only a matter of time until that is ordered or you have mi choice and he is ordered to be put down.

I'm sorry :( But could you build a secure area to keep him and take him out for activity once a day on a suitable chain/harness?

Perhaps an Invisible Fence? I've heard lots of good things about them but the quality ones are not cheap. I wonder if there's a way to trial one before committing to the purchase.

I too would prefer a run over a chain. If your Mum doesn't want to put up more fencing, would she be interested in a temporary run instead? Perhaps something like this? We bought two of these kits and they are a dogsend when renting and also when we visit the relatives up north. Within minutes of arrival, we can put together a freestanding run that the dogs can relax in totally safe and secure.

Edited by Dxenion

Hi dwilds

You need a second bump gate with a short driveway fenced on either side.

I have used the same configuration to allow me to return home without having the dogs escape or the four of them jumping all over me and making my clothes grubby.

It's basically a double gated drive.

Good luck

:cheers:

Can you do some training with him where your Mum or someone drives in and out while you're with him on the inside of your property? You could work on praising/treating him for sitting or at least staying on the inside while the car comes in?

Life is obviously more fun for him on the other side of the gate, does he get walks or other training to give him things to think about?

If you're on property and money is no object (haha) a cattle grid might help at the enterance?

The only other cheap thing I could think to do is keep treats inside the car and you might need to hurl one out the window before coming in the gate to distract him for a moment :D

Is he only getting out when a car uses the gate?

If so then you may need two people when the gate is used, one to hold the dog and the other to drive the car.

If other people are using it when you're not home I'd tie the gate up.

Sounds like you'll have to use the gate as a manual gate. Bit of a pain but it will keep him safe and stop neighbours complaining.

Is he safely contained otherwise?

This must be hard for you - being that he was your Dad's dog.. :(Unless you put up more fencing , or do heaps of training (get help from a professional) I would suggest rehoming the dog .

Perhaps contact a rescue organisation ? or put a notice up on DOL .

poor dog -

Sounds like you have a few options and I can't even remotely see why PTS would even be considered as the problem is yours not the dogs.

He won't listen when you call him - then work on the relationship with the dog.

He gets out of the collar - then do the collar up so it's snug so he cannot back out of it.

You could use a containment system: http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Containment-Systems/

You could use a dog run: http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Pens-%7B47%7D-Dog-Runs/

Sorry, but with all due respect it doesn't sound like the it doesn't sound like you've really done anything to try and manage the dog.

If your family just doesn't want to work on the problem or doesn't want the dog anymore then please try and find the dog a home where he can be managed effectively.

Sounds like you have a few options and I can't even remotely see why PTS would even be considered as the problem is yours not the dogs.

He gets out of the collar - then do the collar up so it's snug so he cannot back out of it.

You could use a containment system: http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Containment-Systems/

You could use a dog run: http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Pens-%7B47%7D-Dog-Runs/

Sorry, but with all due respect it doesn't sound like the it doesn't sound like you've really done anything to try and manage the dog.

If your family just doesn't want to work on the problem or doesn't want the dog anymore then please try and find the dog a home where he can be managed effectively.

Totally agree with this. Why on earth would you expect a dog that is not trained to not go through an open gate or come when he is called? :confused:

As for slipping out of the collar. Get a collar he cannot slip out of like a martingale.

If you are not prepared to restrain the dog each time you go in and out he needs to kept in a fenced area away from the bump gate. It isn't rocket science and the dog is not the problem. Your family are simply failing to manage the situation and if I was your neighbour I would be mad as hell too at your inability to keep the dog confined to your property.

Totally agree with this. Why on earth would you expect a dog that is not trained to not go through an open gate or come when he is called? :confused:

As for slipping out of the collar. Get a collar he cannot slip out of like a martingale.

If you are not prepared to restrain the dog each time you go in and out he needs to kept in a fenced area away from the bump gate. It isn't rocket science and the dog is not the problem. Your family are simply failing to manage the situation and if I was your neighbour I would be mad as hell too at your inability to keep the dog confined to your property.

+1

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I am going to get a containment system and see how we go. I am not going to let mum PTS there are other things we can do. So I'll just have to pay for another bump gate so he can't get out if the containment system doesn't work.

I also will be doing heaps more training and fun with him so we can keep him. I know it sounds like we aren't doing anything but I have been trying.

Edited by dwilds

Bump gates are great as it means you dont have to get out of the car to open and close the gate. But frankly, the simple solution to your problem is to get out to open and close the gate (have a chain by the gate to temporarily put the dog on while you go through if necessary - and yes a martingale or slip collar used for this pupose will stop him pulling out of it). As someone who goes through two gates on our property to get to the road...and has to open and close both of them...yes it can be a drag sometimes but it doesnt take long or much effort and it really is that simple a solution. Is there a physical reason why no one is getting out of the car?

Edited by espinay2

Bumping is ok, but make sure you never drive a trailer through when you bump as you could be in a mess of trouble :laugh: (yep...car one side and still connected and now damaged trailer on the other and stuck fast........ :eek: ). You also have to make sure you dont go too slow...or bump too hard :o

We are currently getting out when we are coming home. it is more of a convenience for us with our weather. We originally had it fitted cause my father was disabled.

I have had a couple of days off so I have been able to do a few focused sessions de-sensitising him to the open gate using a long lead and lots of praise for him when he stayed inside the yard. It seems to have helped as he is now staying back from the gate as we are coming in, but it is going to take a lot more training for us to be confident that he won't leave the yard. We are still going to get the invisible fence for training and if we have any other issues with the dogs getting out.

The bump gate is good if you are trying to keep bigger animals/ dogs out/ in, it doesn't work for dogs that are flexible or small because they just go straight underneath the gate. Plus we have added a plastic pipe to the bottom of the fence as it seems to stop most smaller dogs (ie border collie size) getting under but if the dogs are determined they can still get under.

Sounds like you're willing to take some pretty expensive steps to keep your dog safely contained, good on you :)

Yep, but just don't ever leave a martingale on an unattended dog. A wide sighthound collar would be better if the dog needs to wear one when you're not home. The width will help prevent the dog being able to slip his collar. Otherwise leave him collarless and slip a martingale or similar on him when you get home and have him on lead while the car goes through.