Hmm

Large

Affectionate

Calm/easy going

Biddable/obedient/easy trained

Good jogging partner

I got all I wanted with my GR. :)

BUT, my next 5 requirements would be topped with Low shedding! :laugh:

Funnily enough, my previous dog only fit #2 & 5. She most certainly was not a good fit. :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name five attributes that comprise your ideal dog type.

Excellent Guard

Stranger intolerant

Loyal

Hardy

My best friend

Which breed/s of dog do you have and do they hold these?

Anatolian, Central Asian; yes.

If not, which breed of dog would you like to have to fulfill this ideal?

We are content :)

Edited by lilli

1. Tall/skinny

2. Quiet

3. Smooth coat and at least just single coated

4. Capable of living well with other dogs (in groups over three or four dogs)

5. Cuddly but not pushy or over-the-top.

The greys usually fit all five. The only other breed I'd seriously consider right now is a borzoi.

LOL. I changed my life to suit the dog I have. She's not perfect, but we wouldn't change a thing because it's who she is. Dory...of unknown parentage... But quesstimations have her as a Cairn Terrier x Staffy.

Affectionate

Loyal

Easygoing

Adaptable

Trainable

Having character is important too.

I love Rottweilers. Maybe at a future time.

* Loyal

* Loves People

* Good Guard Dog

* Low exercise requiments

* Medium sized

and of course

* Slobers

* Snores

* Lazy

* Easy to handle

I get all of those things out of my Aussie Bulldog Lulu that i adopted from the pound

12 mths ago.

Love her to Bits!

lulu-3.jpg

lasquish.jpg

I would like my dogs to live as long as I do....cos it bloody sucks when they die.

This. I know they say oh don't worry you'll find things to love in your next dog, but I never felt this way about a dog I've had before. I know I'm onto something special now and I don't want any other dogs :(

I would like my dogs to live as long as I do....cos it bloody sucks when they die.

This. I know they say oh don't worry you'll find things to love in your next dog, but I never felt this way about a dog I've had before. I know I'm onto something special now and I don't want any other dogs :(

Even though I love and adore the dogs that come after, it's just so, so devastating when one dies, and especially when they die young.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto,

best kept secret..... A Greyhound !!!!!!

Just a joy to own.

Yes they are faytiges. :thumbsup: I really stumbed into grey rescue and now I have two of the most divine dogs I have ever owned.kelscats Lulu is gorgeous. :)

Great replies everyone! :thumbsup:

Mine are:

-Biddable and Intelligent

-Athletic and agile

-Not in-your-face with affection

-Strong nerved

-High drive

And one more for fun:

-Black with pointy ears!

My Kelpie fits all of these and my Schipperke pretty much does as well, only the biddability part is sometimes in question as she can be very mischevious! :laugh:

I wouldn't mind a Border Collie (short haired) or a German Shepherd next.

Affectionate

Biddable

Off switch

Confident

Friendly particularly with children

Suki is most of the above but I would not call her biddable. She listens to me and has great recall but only because she wants to be near me at all times. She is not the brightest spark and not highly trainable but i love her to bits anyway:).

Affectionate

Easy going

Friendly to all (people and dogs)

Trainable

Fluffy :laugh:

Looks like my current 2 meet most of them if you combine the 2 of them - Kelpie is #4 - Bloodhound is #1, #2 and most of the time is #3 - but neither of them are #5 and I'd really like a fluffy next time :thumbsup:

So - Lapphund and Aussie are on our list for the next 2 dogs :D

1. Friendly with dogs.

2. Confident/friendly with people (including children).

3. Good watchdog (low barker).

4. Low shedding (preferably none).

5. Calm, easy going.

6. Independant and able to be left alone.

7. Cuddly.

8. Good looking dogs.

We have Field Spaniels who each match different of the above attributes.

The male meets 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8.

The female meets 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

The male, Henschke, up until last year was a pain to leave at home alone and would carry on like a pork chop and often howl. Nowadays as a result we think of the female joining the family and maybe maturity, he's a lot better at home alone and we can even come home and leave twice in one day (which before was unheard of). He's very sociable with other dogs, in fact if there is a dog that is a bit nippy, he will be the one targeted (but doesn't react). The only breed he has a problem with is a Boston Terrier but that is only because at a show he had a male attack him and latch on to his nose (no joke). Although he's a long coated breed, we find he hardly sheds, he's very confident around people and very gentle with kids. This is because we took him everywhere as a pup and many a time has stayed with friends and their little kids. He's very cuddly, especially when he's unwell. He's a great watchdog, with a deep bark and only barks when there is something present - not one of those dogs that keeps on barking and barking when the subject has long gone. He's also very calm (especially since he was desexed) and even after a week of not walking (injured my back) he just lies around (except for when he's playing with his sister).

The female, Jindi, we got when she was 7 months and unfortunately was quite shy of people. In the beginning we had a great deal of trouble with her - wetting herself and pooing when people came in the house, but now after 18 months, I've relaxed heaps and she's come through leaps and bounds. So much so, that we took her to the million paws walk, something I thought we would never be able to do and something I think has helped her immensely. In the beginning it would take her a good hour before she came up to someone new in the house, now it takes only a couple of minutes. So proud of her! And her temperament is second to none - a testament to her breeder and her mum.

She has also just found her voice and is now a good little watch dog, often hearing things long before the male. So now I have two watch dogs rather than just one. She's very friendly and sociable with other dogs, extremely cuddly, fine to leave on her own, but does shed tumbleweeds by the end of the week.

Both we think meet number 8 very easily, being such lovely looking breeds and greatly admired (not just by us, LOL).

Edited by poochmad