Your Ideal Dog.

Blackdogs

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Affectionate

Friendly (to me and my family members)

Easy going and doesn't require high maintenance.

Easy to handle eg take in and out of the car easily, bathing/grooming, walking etc

Compatible with all our other pets, eg cats, birds and bunny :)

We own 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, and they fit the above ideals of what we want in our dogs.

1) Quite drivey

2) Confident

3) Medium sized and 'wash and wear'

4) Intelligent

5) Resilient and tough

Yep, found it in my ACD's. When I got my first one, I was after a dog that could hang around the horse paddocks and come on rides etc. not get burs and 'farmers friends/pitchforks', think for themselves with snakes etc and be very loyal.

If have a 6th!

6) Non Breakable! (structurally functional for speed, endurance, strength and agility)

Edited by Inevitablue

confident

high drive

biddable/compliant

strong nerves

good/practical conformation - medium build, not extreme features, agile

If I could add a 6th - medium sized wash and wear like Inevitablue :laugh:

Kelpies have the physical attributes, some of the temperament attributes depend on lines

Calm, self assured, sound body & mind, sensible, loyal.

I'm not a huge fan of kissy cuddly sloppy sooky soft dogs. They're ok & have their place, just not my cup o T .

3 breeds have featured mainly for me....Bouv, Skye & Chow. My second dog was a Bouv 20+ yrs ago, I currently have a Skye and am about to get another Bouv.

I might add I also have a little mutt Iggy x who is fairly soft but not overly affectionate and clingy.

Kelpies have the physical attributes, some of the temperament attributes depend on lines

Ooohh yes, this is so applicable to ACD's too. Good nerves seem to be lacking in some lines.

Edit: I so hate Apples word self correct!

Edited by Inevitablue

1. not too needy.

2. Not a huge exercise or grooming need.

3. proud/confident

4. good recall

5. cuddly with family

i'll add another

6. large

My borzoi is everything except the recall. the younger Zoi is learning recall but the independence and prey drive are difficult to work with.

Soft nature

Low exercise requirements - although have two here which need a lot and that's no problem

Good with other animals and kids

Low grooming requirements

People focused.

My SBT Esme is the most awesome dog. She is high energy and quite needy but just so responsive and biddable. She is incredibly obedient and just wants to please. :love:

Handler-focussed

Intellegent

Active - keen for running, dog sports, whatever

Biddable

Able to 'switch off' and relax

My kelpies have the first 4, we are still working on the last one when we are out and about (they've got the couch-potato thing down pat at home ;)). But they are only teenagers and I think we will get there with time and training.

All the Aussie Sheps I have seen have all thses qualities, but I must say I'm partial to a more easy-care coat :D

Must be any combination of elegant, pretty, handsome or cute. Downright adorable will also suffice.

That's it :rofl:

My 2 dogs are SO different and they are both perfect for me. The Dalmatian is aloof, difficult to motivate, is active if it suits him and gets bored easily. The working English Springer Spaniel is HIGH energy, HIGH drive, incredibly handler focussed despite being extremely birdy, has the best on/off switch and has just enough coat for me to enjoy grooming without being annoying. I love having dogs at either end of the training spectrum....much better for me as a trainer and incredibly satisfying to compete with.

All the Aussie Sheps I have seen have all thses qualities, but I must say I'm partial to a more easy-care coat :D

I have a quite lightly coated Aussie who is SO easy to manage. Not enough coat for the show ring but it's perfect for a pet. She gets a full brush after a bath (about once every 2-3 months) and a brush of her pants and behind the ears every few weeks. If she gets dirty I just wait for her to dry and she's squeaky clean again!

Mine would probably be:

Biddable and/or easy to motivate

Relatively soft temperament but not timid

Fun-loving and not too "serious"

Active and agile

Great with people and other dogs

*Intelligent

*Affecionate

*Cheeky

*Good with people and other animals

*Confident

I have Samoyeds and IMO this is them exactly.

I'm also very interested in OES and Havanese and although I don't know the breeds very well I'd say they had a least a few of these traits, if not all.

1. Relatively independant

2. Medium sized

3. Drivey

4. Confident and intelligent

5. Good with kids

My Husky is fairly close to this, she's maybe a little too independant, and she's not confident with certain things, though that's her upbringing, not her breed. My Lappie is all of this, though drivey depends on the dog.

I have a quite lightly coated Aussie who is SO easy to manage. Not enough coat for the show ring but it's perfect for a pet. She gets a full brush after a bath (about once every 2-3 months) and a brush of her pants and behind the ears every few weeks. If she gets dirty I just wait for her to dry and she's squeaky clean again!

Oh Wuffles, if only you knew how close i've been to leaving behind my barking, hypervigilant kelpie and running off with a gorgeous Aussie who is sooking up next to me!

Confident

Driven

Structurally sound

Biddable

Relaxed

I have 3 BC's.

One ticks all boxes. The other two tick 4/5. My older girl is definitely not relaxed by nature, but we have an agreement now that she will at least be calm when she is not working. My boy is definitely not confident, but again, we have moved towards it.

My baby dog (now 18 months) has it all. :)

Edited by Agility Dogs

*Intelligent

*Affecionate

*Cheeky

*Good with people and other animals

*Confident

I have Samoyeds and IMO this is them exactly.

I'm also very interested in OES and Havanese and although I don't know the breeds very well I'd say they had a least a few of these traits, if not all.

this is an OES to a T :)