Pup Suddenly Not Interested In Food

Stevie's mumma

Hi again everyone,

seems there is always something wrong witht my gorgeous pug puppy Stevie

over the last few days she has become uninterested in her meals which is a little

odd for my usually food driven baby. she will pick at the food a bit but hasn't

been finishing it completely. she will still happily accept treats and a crust off

my toast etc, I'm lost for the reason why this is going on, we havent changed her

food or anything the only two things I can come up with is that now its so warm

and she lazes around more she isnt all that hungry, or she is worried she is going

to miss out on something if she stops to eat. Any opinions or advice would be great

Thank You in Advance

How old is Stevie? Is she desexed?

My girl has had two occasions where she stopped eating. First time was a month before she came into season. Second time (which is probably more likely to be the case with you) she just decided that she was sick and tired of what she was being fed, so I changed her kibble and all of a sudden she was wolfing it down again. I think some dogs get sick and tired of having the same thing over and over again, and the fact that she happily accepts treats and other bits of food (same as my girl did the second time) really makes me think she's probably just sick of the kibble like Halo was.

My girl has had two occasions where she stopped eating. First time was a month before she came into season. Second time (which is probably more likely to be the case with you) she just decided that she was sick and tired of what she was being fed, so I changed her kibble and all of a sudden she was wolfing it down again. I think some dogs get sick and tired of having the same thing over and over again, and the fact that she happily accepts treats and other bits of food (same as my girl did the second time) really makes me think she's probably just sick of the kibble like Halo was.

Thanks for your reply, Stevie is now 9 months old and has been desexed since she was 6 months, I was also

thinking she might just be sick of the food she has, I tried putting some watered down stock on top and she

was a little more interested, I think we might get some different food and mix it with what's left of her

current food, fingers crossed this is the case :-)

thanks again

Thanks for your reply, Stevie is now 9 months old and has been desexed since she was 6 months, I was also

thinking she might just be sick of the food she has, I tried putting some watered down stock on top and she

was a little more interested, I think we might get some different food and mix it with what's left of her

current food, fingers crossed this is the case :-)

thanks again

At 9 months her growth rate has probably suddenly slowed down and so has her appetite. As they finish growing some puppies continue to eat the same amount and get very fat, others reduce their own food intake. Growing puppies can need up to 4 times the quantity of an adult dog and it can come as a shock to realise they need so much less food as they stop growing. If she is still eating treats she isn't ill. Just offer a lot less food for a couple of days and see if she seems more interested. Offer small quantities and only give more if she eats the first lot. Also some dogs will not eat if it is hot so feed late at night in the warmer weather.

Keep an eye on her weight and condition. If this seems right she is eating enough.

Feed less snacks and concentrate on the nutritious food or else feed less of her evening meal.

I presume she is only being fed once a day now???

If they are perky, alert, energetic etc. and exhibit no signs of being sick then the only other explanation is that the dog is getting too much to eat.

The solution is therefore easy - feed less! :)

She maybe bored with that diet.

Our dogs meals consist of the following. Not all this in one meal, just varied to keep them interested.

Good quality dry food

Homebrand Tuna, sardines in oil for winter, springwater in summer. Too much oil can make them itchy, especially summer.

Fruits

Vege's

Raw meat (human consumption only)

Bones

Greek yoghurt

Leftovers

Eggs (sometimes semi boiled with shell on, or raw cracked in bowl)

There's most probably more, but can't think of it now.

I noticed you said you're giving you pup the crust of your toast. Please don't, wheat is not good for your dog and may crate a smelly and sometimes sores on your dog.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy

Sharon

Edited by pesh

Yea, Kyojin has just suddenly decided he doesn't like his kibble anymore in the last week or two. Which sucks coz I have about 20kg of it left! So I'm trying to add some tasty things to it so that he can finish up this lot before I think about trying him on something else.

Yea, Kyojin has just suddenly decided he doesn't like his kibble anymore in the last week or two. Which sucks coz I have about 20kg of it left! So I'm trying to add some tasty things to it so that he can finish up this lot before I think about trying him on something else.

Try mixing it in with the brand you know he likes. Or use a broth or an egg and coat the biscuit, might trick the poochie boy.

She maybe bored with that diet.

Our dogs meals consist of the following. Not all this in one meal, just varied to keep them interested.

Good quality dry food

Homebrand Tuna, sardines in oil for winter, springwater in summer. Too much oil can make them itchy, especially summer.

Fruits

Vege's

Raw meat (human consumption only)

Bones

Greek yoghurt

Leftovers

Eggs (sometimes semi boiled with shell on, or raw cracked in bowl)

There's most probably more, but can't think of it now.

I noticed you said you're giving you pup the crust of your toast. Please don't, wheat is not good for your dog and may crate a smelly and sometimes sores on your dog.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy

Sharon

I too cannot have wheat, so its the crust off my gluten free toast :-)