Blackdogs

Do dog people like cats?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. My cat preferences are as follows:

• I dislike cats
    • I like cats but I like dogs better
    • I like dogs and cats equally
    • I like cats better than dogs

Always had both cats and dogs in my own home and growing up. Have had a couple of short dogless periods in my life but never been without a cat or two. I have 3 border collies and many people seem surprised to hear I am also a cat lover. Currently just have the one kitty, Essie. Would hate to be without purring in my life :) Nothing like a warm lap cat in winter either. I like in your face cuddly cats so looking at getting something like a Burmese. I can understand if people don't like or don't want to live with certain animals, I can never understand why people have pets like rabbits, birds, fish...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put dislike cats, but i don't hate them, and i wouldn't go out of my way to hurt one or be mean to it. If i saw one in trouble i'd help it of course!

I'm allergic to cats and not keen on the personalities of those ive met, i wouldn't ever buy one.

Pretty well sums up the difference between dogs and cats:

What Pets Write IN THEIR DIARIES.

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary.[/b

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk Bones! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary…

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bastards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.....for now.

When anyone else read the cat part, did the little voice in their mind read it in a Daria voice; or am i alone in my madness??? :laugh:

I like cat because they are cats and not dogs.

It is a cats independance and aloofness that I most admire.

I love dogs because they are. It is their loyalty and devotion that makes them who they are.

Pretty well sums up the difference between dogs and cats:

What Pets Write IN THEIR DIARIES.

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary.[/b

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk Bones! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary…

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bastards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.....for now.

When anyone else read the cat part, did the little voice in their mind read it in a Daria voice; or am i alone in my madness??? :laugh:

No, you are not alone. :laugh:

I don't mind cats but since the age of about 19, I've been getting increasingly sensitive to cat saliva and cats give me a nasty case of the itchies- or the bright red, itchy, huge rash, if they rub their faces on any exposed skin. My last cat, Benson, used to leave long red marks on my calves from rubbing his face against them.

The allergies aside, I have greyhounds now (and foster greyhounds) so another cat would be out of the question anyway.

If it came down to a choice between a cat or a dog, it'd be a dog.

Cat saliva is full of bacteria and he plays in his litter tray :s Whereas dog saliva is antibacterial - if your dog licks a wound it heals faster.

There is nothing hygienic about dog saliva! :eek: No idea where you heard that from.

"In a study done at the University of California, Davis, researchers found dog saliva killed E. coli and Streptococcus canis, another harmful bacteria. The scientists concluded that when mother dogs licked their nipples it helped keep puppies free from disease, and that dogs licking their own wounds accomplished the same goal." "Another reason for the reduction of growth in these bacteria is an enzyme called lysozyme, which kills dangerous bacteria by lysing them. Lysing means that the lysozyme attaches itself to the cell wall of the bacteria and weakens it until the point where the cell wall ruptures and the bacterium dies. This is especially true for gram-positive bacteria, such as the Staphylococcus, Streptococcus and E. coli being tested in this experiment." They advise that so long as your dog is up to date with all parasite control (ie wormed), it's safe to accept their kisses. Worms are about the only thing you can catch from a dog.

Cat saliva on the other hand can kill - like a Komodo dragon their saliva is full of harmful bacteria. I know this first hand because I used to keep rats and the crazy thing was a tiny fang puncture from a cat was much more serious than a big wound by a dog. So long as they didn't die from the initial attack from the dog, they almost always recovered. If their flesh was broken by the cat's teeth, they needed antibiotics asap or they were as good as dead.

ETA: It's no co-incidence that people are much more likely to be allergic to cats than they are to dogs (more than 3x more likely) - their saliva is nasty.

Edited by jacqui835

I love both, but I must say dogs have to win. You just can't beat having your love RETURNED. With cats it seems mostly one way.

Though I do ADORE one of my 4 cats in particular, though this maybe because I'm convinced she's a "cog"/"dat" :laugh: She comes, sits and occupies the dogs and I on walks, as well as purrs, is squishable, catches mice and does zoomies! (though in trees as well as on the ground)

Just the right mix of awesomeness is Beanie Cat! :D

008.jpg

098.jpg

Cat saliva is full of bacteria and he plays in his litter tray :s Whereas dog saliva is antibacterial - if your dog licks a wound it heals faster.

There is nothing hygienic about dog saliva! :eek: No idea where you heard that from.

"In a study done at the University of California, Davis, researchers found dog saliva killed E. coli and Streptococcus canis, another harmful bacteria. The scientists concluded that when mother dogs licked their nipples it helped keep puppies free from disease, and that dogs licking their own wounds accomplished the same goal." "Another reason for the reduction of growth in these bacteria is an enzyme called lysozyme, which kills dangerous bacteria by lysing them. Lysing means that the lysozyme attaches itself to the cell wall of the bacteria and weakens it until the point where the cell wall ruptures and the bacterium dies. This is especially true for gram-positive bacteria, such as the Staphylococcus, Streptococcus and E. coli being tested in this experiment." They advise that so long as your dog is up to date with all parasite control (ie wormed), it's safe to accept their kisses. Worms are about the only thing you can catch from a dog.

Cat saliva on the other hand can kill - like a Komodo dragon their saliva is full of harmful bacteria. I know this first hand because I used to keep rats and the crazy thing was a tiny fang puncture from a cat was much more serious than a big wound by a dog. So long as they didn't die from the initial attack from the dog, they almost always recovered. If their flesh was broken by the cat's teeth, they needed antibiotics asap or they were as good as dead.

ETA: It's no co-incidence that people are much more likely to be allergic to cats than they are to dogs (more than 3x more likely) - their saliva is nasty.

Dog saliva may be safe to 'accept kisses', but I certainly would never risk ANY animal licking an open wound of mine, regardless of any studies. Those studies don't take into account what that animal has been eating or licking.

"Because dog saliva contains a special enzyme which promotes healing of the dog's wound, some pet owners think it will have the same effect on their own cuts. The enzymes in your dogs saliva only work on the wounds of dogs. Allowing your dog to lick your cuts could lead to infection from any germs the dog may have in its mouth." - Vetinfo.com

Dog saliva may be safe to 'accept kisses', but I certainly would never risk ANY animal licking an open wound of mine, regardless of any studies. Those studies don't take into account what that animal has been eating or licking.

"Because dog saliva contains a special enzyme which promotes healing of the dog's wound, some pet owners think it will have the same effect on their own cuts. The enzymes in your dogs saliva only work on the wounds of dogs. Allowing your dog to lick your cuts could lead to infection from any germs the dog may have in its mouth." - Vetinfo.com

It's not just some enzyme, it's lysozyme which kills many types of harmful bacteria - they're currently in the process of trying to isolate the antibacterial properties of dog saliva to develop new antibiotics since bacteria are fast becoming immune to our old ones. The bacteria remain the same and are killed by the same things whether they're on humans or on dogs, hence many people have had their wounds healed faster by their dogs (just google it and you can read 1000's of accounts and experiements). You don't have to let your dog lick you though, I don't particularly enjoy the sensation myself. I mean I also know that maggots can save people from infected wounds when no antibiotic can, and yet I would literally have to be dying before I let them put maggots into me...

Omg it gets better. For anyone suffering from acne or who knows someone who does...

A study published recently found that active components in canine saliva were effective in treating and preventing acne. Even more surprisingly, patients treated with canine saliva solutions saw better results than control groups treated with expensive, celebrity-endorsed acne medications.

"There are a number of components of dog saliva that have been shown by scientific research to act against infection or to promote healing, but this is the first evidence that canine saliva, which helps dogs clean and disinfect wounds, can also help humans maintain clear skin."

At least one company has already attempted to capitalize on the study's findings -- last week, French skincare giant Bonpeau launched PawActiv, a line of skincare products that contain varying levels of canine saliva. Despite its cheeky title, a spokesperson for the line maintained that it is a serious product with serious results.

"Our customers are able to see beyond any stigma associated with canine saliva, and realize that as a treatment for acne it is very effective -- and reasonable."

Edited by jacqui835

We owned two white cats some years ago who would accompany my wife and I for our afternoon/evening walk of about a klm and a half around suburban Terrey Hills in Sydney..... together with our 65 kg. Rottweiler and our German Shepherd who both loved the cats; dearly. They all slept together with never a problem.

We no longer have cats as when they passed we did not replace them as our Rottweiler breed grew over the years to 14.

We still like cats.

Growing up, my dad hated cats and my best friend owned a very unfriendly feral stray that would hiss and carry on if you got to close..so i never really gave cats much of a thought and was a self confessed dog lover.

In the past year my opinion of cats seemed to change a lot. My OH is a cat lover and recently got a kitten which i have been spending a lot of time with. And i some how found myself working part time at a cattery!! 90% of the cats we get in at work are just absolutely adorable, crave affection and are constantly under your feet. I do find cats a lot harder to read though, they can be unpredictable!

I think both cats and dogs have such different personalities. I love dogs because they aim to please, love cuddles 24/7 and are easily excitable. I love cats because they know how to entertain and looks after themselves. They don't need walking and are happy to leave you alone when you're not in the mood.

I would loooooooove to one day own a Birman, and definitely will be having both a dog and a cat when i get my own place.

This is my OH's kitten called Sheldon, and our dog buckley :)

2011-12-10_190934.jpg

I find it far easier to bond with dogs. That said, I am now proudly owned by two rescue kitties and wouldn't have it any other way!

That said, I find moggies quite difficult to warm to. I've met some that are sweet, but none that have 'converted' me into wanting one. I find purebred cats are my preference as like dogs, there is an element of predictability in breed characteristics.

I am on a one way ticket to hell for saying this. I love my girls so very much, but had I known how much easier maintenance the kitties were... I can't honestly say I would go through having three large breeds dogs again. Tess was my heart dog, and we got Lucy for companionship for her and to ease the transition for us when the inevitable happened - but Tess died just over a year later and much earlier than we had anticipated. I now have a very high energy giant breed who is all kinds of demanding (and loud) and we now consequently have Maggie as a companion to Lucy. It's hard work :laugh:

Isn't that an awful thing to say :o

ETA: This is all based upon our current living situation. If we had our way and had a small acreage (which isn't out of the realm of possibility in the next ~2 years), then it would be a different story altogether :)

Edited by Pheebs

I don't hate cats, but I find them increasingly demanding and annoying as I get older. Possibly this is because my family all like Sismese cats, which are known to be extra demanding and also very loud. Also, hardly anyone is responsible enough to keep their cats inside their property, so they wander the neighbourhood killing the native wildlife And crapping in my yard. And I wouldn't mind so much but my dog eats the poo and they don't bother to work them. Worms wiggling in the bottom of the water bowl is disgusting.

And if that isn't bad enough there are three little monsters that routinely attack my dog on our walks. They launch surprise attacks from behind fences and under cars and live in all directions so are nearly impossible to avoid. They have drawn blood on two occasions but the council officers tell me that they can't do anything.