Puppy Vaginitis

cowanbree

Does anyone have any miracle cures for puppy vaginitis? Vet tells me she will grow out of it but as she is attracting the attention of my males and causing war that isn't really a suitable answer. He has given me antibiotics but said it probably wouldn't help - and he is right as we are 12 days in and if anything it is worse

The root Goldenseal is used to treat Vaginitis.

A sitz bath with Lavender or Apple Cider Vinegar is also helpful.

A Tea Tree product can also help.

Thanks Liz, will have a look at that

Make a dilute wash up of whichever you choose (Lavender, tea tree, ACV) and cotton ball the area twice a day.

I'd be more inclined to have your treating vet do a swab & send to path for culture to see if they are using the correct AB for the infection or need a different approach for fungal growth.

I'd also be pretty wary of using even diluted tea tree oil on such a young pup.

fifi

Edited by fifi

I took her back to the vet yesterday and he has said to leave her for a week for the antibotics to clear her system and then bring her back for a swab. It is his opinion that antibotics won't help and she will have to grow out of it. Easy for him to say but one of my males is going mental over her, everyone has to be separated and it is causing fights so I can't see me leaving it 6plus mths until she comes into season. My dogs are all inside pets so this isn't going to work long term

Perhaps try colloidal silver? :) swab the area, a few times daily, and give some by mouth .

It is very safe .. and won't sting/burn or anything like that . It is purported to work on fungi, bacteria and virus infections.

I have used it on cat abscess, goat mastitis, and human sore throats/wounds/tummy upsets. it seems to do very good things.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar issue with one of our girls from a very young age, we tried so many different things and 3 vets but found nothing that would work, our boys went crazy over her, we even stopped showing her to prevent upsetting other boys at shows. Her first season at 14 months solved the problem.

Excuse my ignorance but I'm just wondering why a vaginal discharge, most mucous, not associated with a heat cycle is upsetting the boys??? Particularly as this is "puppy vaginitis" and not adolecent vaginitis? :confused:

Excuse my ignorance but I'm just wondering why a vaginal discharge, most mucous, not associated with a heat cycle is upsetting the boys??? Particularly as this is "puppy vaginitis" and not adolecent vaginitis? :confused:

Agreed if all it is puppy vaginitis anti biotics wont help and it will pass - it shouldn't make the boys horny.

Various smells and discharges will get many a boy interested - infection, anal glads, bitch who has just had a litter.

Some males react to all sorts of smells - anything 'different'. I have one that reacts like this to any signs of a vaginal infection (though is only interested in the girls in season when they are right on! Go figure!)

Agree, swab and see what you have. At least then you can target any treatment. But as mentioned it can be awfully hard to clear up and agree it may be a case of not fully resolving until the first season.

Vit C may be worth adding to the diet if you don't already.

Agreed if all it is puppy vaginitis anti biotics wont help and it will pass - it shouldn't make the boys horny.

Various smells and discharges will get many a boy interested - infection, anal glads, bitch who has just had a litter.

Some males react to all sorts of smells - anything 'different'. I have one that reacts like this to any signs of a vaginal infection (though is only interested in the girls in season when they are right on! Go figure!)

Agree, swab and see what you have. At least then you can target any treatment. But as mentioned it can be awfully hard to clear up and agree it may be a case of not fully resolving until the first season.

Vit C may be worth adding to the diet if you don't already.

How very unlucky for some then to have the boys reacting that way.

How very unlucky for some then to have the boys reacting that way.

Not really. Can be good sometimes as they can indicate something is up before you would have noticed yourself. I pay attention to my boys nose for the good of my girls ;) .

Not speaking with any form of authority or experience in puppy vaginitis whatsoever, but is it similar to thrush in humans? If so, might be worth trying probiotics - Inner Health Plus works absolute wonders for thrush I've found... within 24 hours all symptoms completely subsided.

Good luck!

Edited by Poo-Fong