Finders Keepers.

Blackdogs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this post amazing Blackdog !!! Not doubting your word for a moment but it has never crossed my mind that someone would actually KEEP someone else's dog. Not only that,they think it is OK to do so. :(

I just shake my head, really. :mad On the other side of this I think it would make my day if I found someones 'baby' & was able to bring them back home to mum for them. Takes all kinds I guess.

It happens all the time. I could write a book about the emotional reunions I've witnessed. It's very sad. I've never really been able to understand the mentality myself. :(

The vet nurse who picked up my rotti boy fell in lvoe with him and his personality, When my husband called me to say that i wasn't going to work today i was going for a drive to pick Zeus up i burst into tears i didn't believe him.

I got to vet and nurse brought him out and he dragged her to me he remembered me and i him tears all round. He would of had a lovely home if he wasn't chipped :D

Can I ask how much the scanner was?

That's kind of cute, the mother pulling the polish off. :laugh:

I dont remember exactly but it was super cheap I bought it from Sway. You should spot it on her website. Works like a charm.

well the comment i made about chip reader come from the vet and the local dog catcher.

the council had a larger and i would think newer model the vet had a smaller older model....

it read a newer chip and gave a wrong read. the dog catcher had seen it many times before and it was a scanner glich...this could result in the dog being put in the pound and no owner being contacted.

chips are only good if they work...

side no one of my lot have ever ended up in a pound when lost... due to living a long way from the nearest dog catcher....

they are chipped but only for the times we are out.

In my opinion the OP doesn't want to reveal pound names or locations because they know they are waxing lyrical about the subject.

This seems to be a trend of the newcomers on this forum in recent times. The creation of many threads and a post count that skyrockets in a short time and an inability to accept that others will offer opinions in opposition to theirs. I so miss the discussions of previous times.

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's naming'

For the loser now

Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen

Please heed the call

Don't stand in the doorway

Don't block up the hall

For he that gets hurt

Will be he who has stalled

There's a battle outside

And it is ragin'

It'll soon shake your windows

And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is

Rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn

The curse it is cast

The slow one now

Will later be fast

As the present now

Will later be past

The order is

Rapidly fadin'

And the first one now

Will later be last

-Bob Dylan.

:D

This topic is clearly a very emotive one and I expect many of us on DOL have been on both sides of the situation and have dealt with it in the best way we see fit. I think the discussion has mostly been sensible and informative.

However I find your response above Blackdogs incredibly disrespectful. Anne has contributed her opinion based on her experience, that's what DOL is about. Either respond with an actual discussion point, rational argument or question, or politely ignore posts you just don't feel the need to respond to.

Obviously sarcastic or antagonistic responses, even when accompanied by smiley faces, are just annoying and pointless :D

In my opinion the OP doesn't want to reveal pound names or locations because they know they are waxing lyrical about the subject.

This seems to be a trend of the newcomers on this forum in recent times. The creation of many threads and a post count that skyrockets in a short time and an inability to accept that others will offer opinions in opposition to theirs. I so miss the discussions of previous times.

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's naming'

For the loser now

Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen

Please heed the call

Don't stand in the doorway

Don't block up the hall

For he that gets hurt

Will be he who has stalled

There's a battle outside

And it is ragin'

It'll soon shake your windows

And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is

Rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn

The curse it is cast

The slow one now

Will later be fast

As the present now

Will later be past

The order is

Rapidly fadin'

And the first one now

Will later be last

-Bob Dylan.

:D

This topic is clearly a very emotive one and I expect many of us on DOL have been on both sides of the situation and have dealt with it in the best way we see fit. I think the discussion has mostly been sensible and informative.

However I find your response above Blackdogs incredibly disrespectful. Anne has contributed her opinion based on her experience, that's what DOL is about. Either respond with an actual discussion point, rational argument or question, or politely ignore posts you just don't feel the need to respond to.

Obviously sarcastic or antagonistic responses, even when accompanied by smiley faces, are just annoying and pointless :D

Actually, she called me a liar and I've found her responses to be surly and rude. I, however, responded in good humour. It's time to lighten up, people! :D

I know no one likes a newb that undermines the collective authority by having an opinion, that's the way internet forums work.

However, that's a great song. I recommend we all go back through it, read the lyrics, hold up our lighters, sway to and fro and RELAX. The internet is not serious business! :)

I can see how responding seriously to antagonistic remarks at all is just encouraging the throng, so this will be my first and last bite. :laugh:

Now, back to topic. :)

Edited by Blackdogs

Not to mention the different microchip databases and the fact that most only check the database relevant to their state. As families become more transient, so do dogs.

Usually what happens is if you contact your registered database with a chip number, they can check any other databases in the state for you. If it's registered to an interstate database, they may not be able to check the details but they can give you the name of the database so that you can contact them directly. It's usually a pretty sound system, but as mentioned earlier, complications do arise. :)

I find this post amazing Blackdog !!! Not doubting your word for a moment but it has never crossed my mind that someone would actually KEEP someone else's dog. Not only that,they think it is OK to do so. :(

I just shake my head, really. :mad On the other side of this I think it would make my day if I found someones 'baby' & was able to bring them back home to mum for them. Takes all kinds I guess.

It happens all the time. I could write a book about the emotional reunions I've witnessed. It's very sad. I've never really been able to understand the mentality myself. :(

The vet nurse who picked up my rotti boy fell in lvoe with him and his personality, When my husband called me to say that i wasn't going to work today i was going for a drive to pick Zeus up i burst into tears i didn't believe him.

I got to vet and nurse brought him out and he dragged her to me he remembered me and i him tears all round. He would of had a lovely home if he wasn't chipped :D

Incredible story. How did you find Zeus' behaviour following all this? Did he settle in as nothing had happened or was there an adjustement period?

Not to mention the different microchip databases and the fact that most only check the database relevant to their state. As families become more transient, so do dogs.

Usually what happens is if you contact your registered database with a chip number, they can check any other databases in the state for you. If it's registered to an interstate database, they may not be able to check the details but they can give you the name of the database so that you can contact them directly. It's usually a pretty sound system, but as mentioned earlier, complications do arise. :)

Sorry, in pounds the normal course of action is nothing like you describe and I am getting a little tired of you effectively telling me to suck eggs on this. When a stray dog comes in the staff do not check every database.

As for accusing you of lying, you are being a drama queen. I asked you what world you lived in because your explanations and comments were not realistic and were incorrect.

You've made your way through this thread patting people on the head with smilies and condescending agreement comments if they say something you like and you have passive aggressively reacted to any comment that isn't to your liking.

Your statements about lost dogs being returned, and chips, are based on opinion and you state them as fact. My comments are based on FACTS and after many years debating, researching, working in and being an advocate for change in animal welfare issues I find your posts offensive and your accusations way off base.

did you guys know the average vet buys so many chips and recieves a free scanner to read that brand of chip. they do work on other chips but can refuse to read chips made by other companies....hence some dog will not register.

I have not found this to be the case.

Can you tell me which chip company does this?

I have purchased numerous scanners over the past few years and have not come across whilst "shopping" that is brand specific. I have not come across a deal like that either, would be interested to know more.

Most modern scanners will read all chips but sone of the older ones require a different scanner, this was my experience I'm unsure if it has changed since though.

Also it's worth checking the details not just that the chip is in there, as sometimes a chip

will read and be registered on a database but have no details attached, this happened quite a lot.

Most modern scanners will read all chips but sone of the older ones require a different scanner, this was my experience I'm unsure if it has changed since though.

Also it's worth checking the details not just that the chip is in there, as sometimes a chip will read and be registered on a database but have no details attached, this happened quite a lot.

This actually happened to me personally. Monte's details were never entered onto the NSW CAR. Thankfully it was discovered when I was checking rescue dog chips still registered to me and the list of dogs under my details did not include one of my own.

The chip system, as others have said, is far from perfect and a lot of improvements could be made very simply. Even creating 1 single national database would be a logical start. One day..... one day.

I came across a website the other day that has all the databased linked and you put in the number and it then tells you which data base it is registered to.

http://www.petaddress.com.au/Default.aspx

It is commonly used by pound staff to id the database the chip is registered with, it is a wonderful too.

Except for NSW chips and given mandatory chipping has been in for many, many years in NSW, that's a lot of dogs and cats that won't show on it.

Sorry, in pounds the normal course of action is nothing like you describe and I am getting a little tired of you effectively telling me to suck eggs on this. When a stray dog comes in the staff do not check every database.

As for accusing you of lying, you are being a drama queen. I asked you what world you lived in because your explanations and comments were not realistic and were incorrect.

You've made your way through this thread patting people on the head with smilies and condescending agreement comments if they say something you like and you have passive aggressively reacted to any comment that isn't to your liking.

Your statements about lost dogs being returned, and chips, are based on opinion and you state them as fact. My comments are based on FACTS and after many years debating, researching, working in and being an advocate for change in animal welfare issues I find your posts offensive and your accusations way off base.

I'm not talking about the pounds checking every database. I'm talking about the microchip registries advising on where the chip is registered to. If pounds don't bother to follow up on this, then that's a shame. :) (< smiley face = attempt to convey friendliness).

As for the rest, if you choose to see my disagreements as passive agressive and my agreements as condescending then that is your interpretation. I've tried to use emotes to better portray my tone, but obviously if people want to read something a particular way then they will regardless.

So far I've been called naive, a drama queen, a liar among other things. I know this is the internet and people love to get personal, so it's no surprise. However, I am not the topic, so now that everyone has expressed their grievances, can we please get back on topic? :)

Edited by Blackdogs

Sorry, I simply don't have time to continue in such a petty conversation with you Blackdog.

When and if I have the time I will post the statistics that show that less than 40% (approx) of animals are reclaimed in Victorian pounds and that more than 1/3 of all dogs impounded are killed.

However, you can continue to throw your opinion around about most being happily reunited if it keeps you feeling good, and making petty little accusations up about anyone who offers a different view.

Edited by ~Anne~

Sorry, I simply don't have time to continue in such a petty conversation with you Blackdog although I must confess to having a chuckle at your last post. That saying I see used with monotonous regularity here though of 'pot, kettle, black' comes to mind very strongly.

I am glad I was able to bring you some humour, Anne. :laugh:

Hopefuly our future conversations can be more productive. :)

Sorry, I simply don't have time to continue in such a petty conversation with you Blackdog.

When and if I have the time I will post the statistics that show that less than 40% (approx) of animals are reclaimed in Victorian pounds and that more than 1/3 of all dogs impounded are killed.

However, you can continue to throw your opinion around about most being happily reunited if it keeps you feeling good, and making petty little accusations up about anyone who offers a different view.

Oh, you edited your post. Do the statistics reflect all the animals surrendered to pounds? I'm talking about genuinely lost dogs, not surrenders. :)

I'm not sure what accusations you're talking about. I'm happy to discuss alternative views in a polite manner. :)