Finders Keepers.

Blackdogs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible story. How did you find Zeus' behaviour following all this? Did he settle in as nothing had happened or was there an adjustement period?

He fitted back in as if he never left, i had two kids by this point and was a bit nervous, he did have scars and no teeth and severe athritis so not sure what he went through, but yep he resumed his spot on the lounge and was still the same gentle well mannered/trained dog that went missing.

Unfortunately he wasn't with us long enough upon return due to his athrititis and cancer he was given his wings a few months back now at the age of 6 :(

When I had to get new tags for my dogs, the pet shop bloke who whipped them up on a computerised tag maker suggested he add the word 'microchipped' along with usual info. Seems a sensible idea to me - especially as I know Twig's has moved - & no extra cost involved.

When I had to get new tags for my dogs, the pet shop bloke who whipped them up on a computerised tag maker suggested he add the word 'microchipped' along with usual info. Seems a sensible idea to me - especially as I know Twig's has moved - & no extra cost involved.

Yep, ours have this on their tags too :)

Incredible story. How did you find Zeus' behaviour following all this? Did he settle in as nothing had happened or was there an adjustement period?

He fitted back in as if he never left, i had two kids by this point and was a bit nervous, he did have scars and no teeth and severe athritis so not sure what he went through, but yep he resumed his spot on the lounge and was still the same gentle well mannered/trained dog that went missing.

Unfortunately he wasn't with us long enough upon return due to his athrititis and cancer he was given his wings a few months back now at the age of 6 :(

I'm sorry to hear that you lost him so young, but at least he got to spend his last years/months with you. :)

That's a GREAT idea! :thumbsup:

Yep, ours have this on their tags too :)

When I adopted Fox from the shelter they gave me a tag (like the council tag) which has her full microchip number printed on it :thumbsup:

The shelter we got Weez from didn't microchip before adoption but they gave us a tag with their phone no. and a reference number - so if he escaped before we could get him registered anyone who found him could get in contact with us through the shelter.

Both great ideas to keep their adopted dogs safe I think :)

When I adopted Fox from the shelter they gave me a tag (like the council tag) which has her full microchip number printed on it :thumbsup:

The shelter we got Weez from didn't microchip before adoption but they gave us a tag with their phone no. and a reference number - so if he escaped before we could get him registered anyone who found him could get in contact with us through the shelter.

Both great ideas to keep their adopted dogs safe I think :)

When I had my cat microchipped, I was given a tag with the microchip number, only problem was CAR didn't enter her details into their system, which I didn't find out until I tried to update her details after we moved. So the tag may be a good idea, provided the correct details are actually attached to the microchip :).

what a great idea :-)

There certainly is no excuse for it in this day and age.

Over 30 years ago, before microchipping I found a little maltese X dog that was matted, starving, flea riddled and in a terrible state. You could see she had been on the road for some time. No dog could look like this and have recently been with an owner....and if they did, well, that's a whole different thread!

I was going to take her to the Lost Dogs Home but my experiences there frightened me off. I knew it would mean certain death for her as my family had previously adopted dogs from there that had been vaccinated at the home only to have them both come down with destemper within months. Both times we waited 6 months for the virus to disperse before buying another pup which was fine.

This was my childhood experience with the Pound.

So I took her home, fed her, bathed her, deflead her and took her to a vet. He suggested I keep her as she had little chance, even with me vacinating her then to make it out of that prison alive. He said the Lost Dogs Home was rife with Destemper. That was something I was sadly only too aware of. I was 18 and my decision was very emotive.

16 years later I had her PTS as it was her time.

I don't regret what I did as the odds of finding her owners was very remote.

However today, alot of pets are microchipped and are able to be reunited with their families.

Yet there ARE still many who are not, many who are not vaccinated and many who are doomed to die and not be adopted when being handed over.

Over the years I have found a number of dogs, which I have handed over to local vets, to be scanned and delt with by the correct procedures. I cannot bring myself to take any dog directly to a Dogs Home. "Gyrle", the Maltese X was the only one I kept and the only one I know for sure had a good outcome.

Edited by LizT

I am replying on my IPhone which is tricky so I can not reply to all that I would like so will do from memory.

Blackdogs are you for real, you claim to work in the industry but have no knowledge that scanners do not read all chips, like all things commercial each company made it's own style of chip and scanner to match. Oops big problem so they manufactured all chip reader, but of course early readers would have been expensive so vets would not replace in hurry. My vets scanner could not read a 1996 chip but when I took her to be rechipped it was found.

The databases there are 5. The worst being New South Wales, only available being contacted directly and that is difficult. From memory you cannot find dog using the search tool either.

All pounds in Vets in NSW use it so all NSW dogs once they leave must be transferred to National DB.

If this tread is still alive tomorrow I will tell my story about LDH and dealing with ArsePCA.

I am replying on my IPhone which is tricky so I can not reply to all that I would like so will do from memory.

Blackdogs are you for real, you claim to work in the industry but have no knowledge that scanners do not read all chips, like all things commercial each company made it's own style of chip and scanner to match. Oops big problem so they manufactured all chip reader, but of course early readers would have been expensive so vets would not replace in hurry. My vets scanner could not read a 1996 chip but when I took her to be rechipped it was found.

The databases there are 5. The worst being New South Wales, only available being contacted directly and that is difficult. From memory you cannot find dog using the search tool either.

All pounds in Vets in NSW use it so all NSW dogs once they leave must be transferred to National DB.

If this tread is still alive tomorrow I will tell my story about LDH and dealing with ArsePCA.

We use an all-chip scanner, so why would not knowing about selective scanners indicate I don't work in the industry? :confused: The databases are 5? :confused:

Edited by Blackdogs

:confused: The databases are 5? :confused:

CAR - Central Animal Records

CAR NSW - Companion Animal Registry

AAR - Australasian Animal Registry

NPR - National Pet Register

Petsafe

HomesafeID (seems to be just for QLD)

OMG 6 now. Will have to the last ones details as I do not have them. Very tricky in rescue getting it sorted.

:confused: The databases are 5? :confused:

CAR - Central Animal Records

CAR NSW - Companion Animal Registry

AAR - Australasian Animal Registry

NPR - National Pet Register

Petsafe

HomesafeID (seems to be just for QLD)

OMG 6 now. Will have to the last ones details as I do not have them. Very tricky in rescue getting it sorted.

Blimey no wonder it's confusing!

• 6 months later...

We took in a stray cat a few years ago, found her up the road and she'd been wandering around the streets here for about a week when we decided she would get hit by a car if we didn't do anything. The very next morning we took her to the vet, but she wasn't microchipped. The vet said we could either keep her and try to locate the owner, or they could pass her on to the pound, "but then she might get put to sleep".

She was a lovely, sociable cat, so we left our details with the vet in case anyone called, took her home and put up posters everywhere, and we also posted on every lost and found pet site we could find. One person called but didn't leave a number and we never heard from her again, other than that there was no interest.

So it's not just bad people who keep pets. We didn't want her to be put to sleep, which is most likely what would have happened at the pound. We assumed she'd been dumped, because otherwise someone would have been looking for her. If my cat was missing I would check everywhere, call every vet etc. I might try the pound first, but if the cat wasn't at the pound I would try everywhere else.

It was wrong of vet to say that to you. You could have put the cat through the proper channels and put your name on it if it came up for destruction.

Now you have a cat that someone may be pining over and that one day, you may be asked to hand back.

It is possible the cat escaped and traveled from the area of residence, so the owners may not have had the opportunity to see the posters. Further, not everyone is aware of lost and found internet sites.

I don't think you are bad people for doing this, just misinformed and misguided, to the potential detriment of some grieving pet owner. :(

Agreed, it was wrong of you to keep the cat, and wrong of the vet to advise you to do so.

I once had a friendly little girl wander into my front yard looking for a drink. After I gave her one, I checked her collar and tag. Aside from her name and the owner's phone number, it mentioned a well-known bikie group. I thought that upsetting an owner such as that would be a great deterrent to even entertaining a thought to keeping the dog. :)