Finders Keepers.

Blackdogs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure you that it is not Wodonga Pound - they are awesome and have a very close working relationship with Wodonga Dog Rescue.

Well that is great! However, I wasn't suggesting that it was. Just that revealing the pounds I deal with would disclose my location and I would prefer not to do that. :)

You don't seem to mind disclosing your location so I thought you wouldn't mind disclosing the pounds. :)

I suppose I mind because in the 12 months since I resigned they may have changed their operation and I wouldn't want people to think that things are still done the same way. Regardless I think it is naive to think that rural Victorian pounds operate in the same way that pounds in larger areas of Victoria do.

I suppose I mind because in the 12 months since I resigned they may have changed their operation and I wouldn't want people to think that things are still done the same way. Regardless I think it is naive to think that rural Victorian pounds operate in the same way that pounds in larger areas of Victoria do.

Ahh, I see. Well I suppose if they don't make a secret of their practices I might give the ring around and compile a list for everyone. :)

I'm glad we agree that there are differences between rural and city pounds. :)

did you guys know the average vet buys so many chips and recieves a free scanner to read that brand of chip. they do work on other chips but can refuse to read chips made by other companies....hence some dog will not register.

I hadn't heard that one before. I thought microchip scanners could scan all chips. What's the point in having a microchip otherwise if pounds can't scan them? I'm sure pounds won't go out and buy all the scanner brands available and then try each one on every dog!!!

Can someone who works with microchips and scanners confirm this?

In my opinion the OP doesn't want to reveal pound names or locations because they know they are waxing lyrical about the subject.

This seems to be a trend of the newcomers on this forum in recent times. The creation of many threads and a post count that skyrockets in a short time and an inability to accept that others will offer opinions in opposition to theirs. I so miss the discussions of previous times.

Doesnt make any difference - the law says what has to be done. It has to be done. You dont get to choose based on anything else.

Last maremma litter I had the puppies were chipped as usual at 7 weeks. They all look so much alike that as Im getting them ready to send them home I scan them with my scanner to be sure Im matching up the right dog with the right chip and transfer papers etc . 3 of the 12 puppies which I saw with my own eyes microchipped didnt scan as having a chip .Because one Was on its way home and I could identify what it was by process of elimination I sent it out with an explaination to the new owner that I was concerned it wasnt showing and to take it to their vet asap to ensure it wasnt just my scanner. The two boys I took back to my vet and the vet couldnt pick the chip up either so they re chipped now for the second time free of charge .

The female showed no chip when she was taken to her vet after she went home and was also re chipped. Makes me wonder how many Ive sent home with chips that dont functon before I got the scanner . The vet seemed to think it was something wrong with the batch or something and they did check just after they went in and they definitely worked immediately after implanting. - Dunno.

I also had a couple of cats chipped and they developed infections and their bodies expelled the chips like a core of a boil. chips are good but not foolproof.

.... chips are good but not foolproof.

Totally agree with this - we have had them move, come out and stop working over the years. Found a chip sitting on the top of the coat of one of our Maine Coons and sure enough it was her chip. Could not see where it had come out but it had. So when we are at the vet we always check the chip to make sure it is where it should be and working. Vet doesn't mind and it only takes a minute.

I often wonder how often chips and pups are mixed up. I'm sure it must happen.

We came across it quite a lot Anne, normally with pups bought from pet stores. Pup 1 was given pup 2's details so both pups were chipped to the incorrect owners. Big mess :(

That is when we saw it most commonly also.

I have a potentially very sad story - before microchipping.

When I found a staffy bitch once (again pre microchips)

Council registration of dogs....with tags to wear on collars... pre-date microchipping by decades.

ID disks on dogs' collars have been around since Adam was a chap.

I read where King Edward VII's dog, Caesar, had an ID tag which said, 'I'm the King's dog.' Even the king of England was prepared that his dog might get lost.

Was there any reason why the 2 dogs you've posted about, did not wear either or both registration tags and ID tag?

I don't have sympathy for owners who lack the foresight to imagine what might happen if their dog gets lost....without any form of identification. I have sympathy for the pets.

My girl is microchipped and wears a collar with ID when we go for a walk. (On a martingale, so not a tight collar). She does not wear one at home because of the worry of strangulation if she gets it caught on a fence or something.

I often wonder how often chips and pups are mixed up. I'm sure it must happen.

We came across it quite a lot Anne, normally with pups bought from pet stores. Pup 1 was given pup 2's details so both pups were chipped to the incorrect owners. Big mess :(

Sorry a bit off the original topic but - this could be a potential issue in the future. With compulsory microchipping coming in - I suspect that it would be a good thing for breeders to have a scanner to check that the right puppy goes to the right owner.

How are other breeders planning on handling this? Not so difficult in my breed with dogs having unique markings but in solid colour breeds, I would imagine this could be tricky.

I do know of people who bought a golden retriever puppy, from an interstate breeder. (Puppy not microchipped before being sent). They were very happy. Had her microchipped etc. Got a phone call from the breeder three days later saying that she had accidentally sent the wrong pup from the litter to them - that they had received her show potential pick of the litter, could they please send her back and be sent the correct one. The people said no - you sent us this puppy, we paid for her she is now ours. They got her desexed quite quickly. I felt for both parties in this situation. Suspect that microchipping will help stop this type of mix-up IF the breeder checks the microchip before the puppy is sent.

I find this post amazing Blackdog !!! Not doubting your word for a moment but it has never crossed my mind that someone would actually KEEP someone else's dog. Not only that,they think it is OK to do so. :(

I just shake my head, really. :mad On the other side of this I think it would make my day if I found someones 'baby' & was able to bring them back home to mum for them. Takes all kinds I guess.

Edited by BC Crazy

My girl is microchipped and wears a collar with ID when we go for a walk. (On a martingale, so not a tight collar). She does not wear one at home because of the worry of strangulation if she gets it caught on a fence or something.

Sorry a bit off the original topic but - this could be a potential issue in the future. With compulsory microchipping coming in - I suspect that it would be a good thing for breeders to have a scanner to check that the right puppy goes to the right owner.

How are other breeders planning on handling this? Not so difficult in my breed with dogs having unique markings but in solid colour breeds, I would imagine this could be tricky.

Microchipping has been compulsory since around 1996 in NSW and Ive only recently acquired a scanner .We found all different ways of ensuring we didnt get the chips and the pups mixed up including painting some part of them with different dots of nail polish, coloured ribbons, shaving a spot etc .Some worked better for some breeds than others. In my case if the mothers spots the nail polish she will yank the pup's fur out to get rid of it, the collars get pulled off via other ltter mates and their Mum etc .Shaving is O.K. if its only a short wait between chipping and going - thats why I bough the scanner. Mind you Ive had girls in one place that should have been boys too - not my muck up but the vets.

In my opinion the OP doesn't want to reveal pound names or locations because they know they are waxing lyrical about the subject.

This seems to be a trend of the newcomers on this forum in recent times. The creation of many threads and a post count that skyrockets in a short time and an inability to accept that others will offer opinions in opposition to theirs. I so miss the discussions of previous times.

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's namin'

For the loser now

Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen

Please heed the call

Don't stand in the doorway

Don't block up the hall

For he that gets hurt

Will be he who has stalled

There's a battle outside

And it is ragin'

It'll soon shake your windows

And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command

Your old road is

Rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn

The curse it is cast

The slow one now

Will later be fast

As the present now

Will later be past

The order is

Rapidly fadin'

And the first one now

Will later be last

-Bob Dylan.

:D

Microchipping has been compulsory since around 1996 in NSW and Ive only recently acquired a scanner .We found all different ways of ensuring we didnt get the chips and the pups mixed up including painting some part of them with different dots of nail polish, coloured ribbons, shaving a spot etc .Some worked better for some breeds than others. In my case if the mothers spots the nail polish she will yank the pup's fur out to get rid of it, the collars get pulled off via other ltter mates and their Mum etc .Shaving is O.K. if its only a short wait between chipping and going - thats why I bough the scanner. Mind you Ive had girls in one place that should have been boys too - not my muck up but the vets.

Chips are definitely not foolproof. We've had our own issues with them.

Can I ask how much the scanner was?

That's kind of cute, the mother pulling the polish off. :laugh:

I find this post amazing Blackdog !!! Not doubting your word for a moment but it has never crossed my mind that someone would actually KEEP someone else's dog. Not only that,they think it is OK to do so. :(

I just shake my head, really. :mad On the other side of this I think it would make my day if I found someones 'baby' & was able to bring them back home to mum for them. Takes all kinds I guess.

It happens all the time. I could write a book about the emotional reunions I've witnessed. It's very sad. I've never really been able to understand the mentality myself. :(

did you guys know the average vet buys so many chips and recieves a free scanner to read that brand of chip. they do work on other chips but can refuse to read chips made by other companies....hence some dog will not register.

I hadn't heard that one before. I thought microchip scanners could scan all chips. What's the point in having a microchip otherwise if pounds can't scan them? I'm sure pounds won't go out and buy all the scanner brands available and then try each one on every dog!!!

Can someone who works with microchips and scanners confirm this?

The scanners we use scan all chips. I have not heard of selective scanners. :)