Conformation

TheCheekyMonster

This may be a very stupid question but..... I may want to show Gus... he was sold as a show dog and I think I want to show him and see how he goes (I have never had experience in this area I have only ever had "pet" dogs), but I have a question about conformation, what exactly is it and how do you know if your dog has good conformation?? I know its important I just dont know why and would like someone to tell me haha :)

Do you have a line of communication with the Gus' breeder. I only started showing 3 years ago and the best advise I get is always from the breeder. They should be able to advise you regarding conformation of your breed and whether you have a good example of it.

If they don't think Gus is "right", offer to help with handling their show dogs. Just be being around the ring, you learn so much.

Good luck and if you do join the show "circus", enjoy the experience.

Thanks...

Well Its a little hard to get a response from the breeder so Im not sure they are the best option... whats main register papers??... I did get some papers for him in the mail the other day but I think they were just transfer of ownership.

The story with Gus is the breeder wanted him for himself but long story short I ended up with him and I wouldnt change a thing... before I took him home the breeder did say they wanted to show him and did not want me to desex him (because they will be using him in the future for breeding) which is all fine by me but I have not heard back from the breeder in relation to showing or anything like that... I have asked a few times but havent really got a response so I dont want to be annoying.

I actually think Gus has to much spotting for showing but thats why I wanted to know the rules on conformation and showing.... and what do you do when you show a dog :o

Edited by GussysMum

You need to look up the breed standard but it's still very open to interpetation. If you haven't joined your breed club it would be a good start. Then start going to shows and do alot of eavesdropping :laugh:

To be able to show your dog you need to have the pedigree papers and he needs to be on the full register, that means his papers will be blue.

excuse my ignorance but what breed is Gus? (Dally?)

Things can be difficult without help of your breeder... are they in the same state? If they are, and they show regularly, perhaps you can take Gus down there with you, tell them that you are interested in showing him and ask if they'd be willing to show you the ropes. I'm guessing, given they plan to use him in the future, he is already on Main register. If they sent you his papers, it will have his pedigree on the front, with his pedigree name, and a section on the back for you to fill out your details and the breeder shoudl have pre-signed it so that you can send it off to DogsNSW. If you want to show him, then you will need to pay the fee to transfer him as well as fill out a DogsNSW membership form if you are not already a member. Send both forms off together so that when Gus is transferred over, his papers will have your membership name and number on there. youwill need this when you enter shows.

Was there a specific reason why the breeder chose not to keep him? was it something to do with his structure or a fault she may have explained to you?

Yep, in VIC Main register papers are blue (as the PP mentioned) and limited register papers are orange.

I agree with looking up the breed standard and attending some shows before you show. :)

Whoops! Just realized you're in NSW...*edit* they're the same colours anyway.

Edited by F11

Yep, in VIC Main register papers are blue (as the PP mentioned) and limited register papers are orange.

I agree with looking up the breed standard and attending some shows before you show. :)

Whoops! Just realized you're in NSW...

Hahah yeap im in NSW, his papers were blue - I will look at them when I get home properly

Sparkytansy - he is a Dally, the breeder did not keep him because the Dalmatian I was allocated turned out to be deaf and this breeder is a memeber of NSW dalmatian club, all other pups had been picked up baring 2... one he wanted to breed from and the other was for a couple coming from qld, he said I could have the pup providing I let him breed from him when the time was right and I agreed to that, I have no issue with that and so thats how I ended up with Gus... I think the breeder felt confident that I was the right person for the pup.. I had been hassling him every day since the pups were born haha asking questions and getting excited....

Edited by GussysMum

That does make things a little easier then - if he's on main register and was intended to be shown, then I can't imagine your breeders having any issues. So now it's a case of getting him transferred into your name, becoming a member of DogsNSW and then entering some shows once he is 3 months.

When you become a member, I assume you will receive a "dog news" which lists all shows coming up.

There are show handling classes in NSW hopefully someone can give you the details, and no doubt they will help you with choosing and entering the shows, as well as explaining how it all works.

Back to your original question, the importance of conformation, and more so, the breed standard for conformation, is to ensure that the breed continues to have the characteristics and the "look" that the standard had in mind when it was written. Breeds are always changing and developing, but they will always generally look like the breed in its original form, and this is what we strive for, by improving but also maintaining our breeds close to their original standard. It is important to familiarise yourself with the breed standard for your breed, learn as much as possible about what it all means, and then look at your own dog objectively to acknowledge what is and isn't correct (no dog is a perfect example of it's breed standard). You also must understand, that the breed standard is how the individual interprets it, which is why there are always varying opinions between breeders, and between judges.

That does make things a little easier then - if he's on main register and was intended to be shown, then I can't imagine your breeders having any issues. So now it's a case of getting him transferred into your name, becoming a member of DogsNSW and then entering some shows once he is 3 months.

When you become a member, I assume you will receive a "dog news" which lists all shows coming up.

There are show handling classes in NSW hopefully someone can give you the details, and no doubt they will help you with choosing and entering the shows, as well as explaining how it all works.

Back to your original question, the importance of conformation, and more so, the breed standard for conformation, is to ensure that the breed continues to have the characteristics and the "look" that the standard had in mind when it was written. Breeds are always changing and developing, but they will always generally look like the breed in its original form, and this is what we strive for, by improving but also maintaining our breeds close to their original standard. It is important to familiarise yourself with the breed standard for your breed, learn as much as possible about what it all means, and then look at your own dog objectively to acknowledge what is and isn't correct (no dog is a perfect example of it's breed standard). You also must understand, that the breed standard is how the individual interprets it, which is why there are always varying opinions between breeders, and between judges.

Aaaa thanks :) that clears up alot!!... :) Also (my mistake) his 15 weeks old.. am I too late? do you need to start from 3 months or can you show at any age?

Gussy where abouts are you in NSW. Check out some shows in your area on the weekend. For example....there are 2 shows this weekend at Morriset on the Central Coast. Then you can see whats involved.

You will be in the Non-Sporting Group or Grp 7. I am also in non sporting with Std Poodles. I will be at Morriset on weekend. I will be the one with 2 "feral" baby puppies Std poodles(6 mths old :laugh: ). I am always happy for a chat :)

Gussy where abouts are you in NSW. Check out some shows in your area on the weekend. For example....there are 2 shows this weekend at Morriset on the Central Coast. Then you can see whats involved.

You will be in the Non-Sporting Group or Grp 7. I am also in non sporting with Std Poodles. I will be at Morriset on weekend. I will be the one with 2 "feral" baby puppies Std poodles(6 mths old :laugh: ). I am always happy for a chat :)

Ow awesome thats 1.27 hours away from me!! :) what time does it start? and is it all weekend or just one day?

Aaaa thanks :) that clears up alot!!... :) Also (my mistake) his 15 weeks old.. am I too late? do you need to start from 3 months or can you show at any age?

No you can start them at any age. If you are in Sydney the big Christmas show is on this Saturday evening 5pm at Erskine Park with 1300 dogs entered. If you are available come along and have a look at what happens at a show. Oh, Santa only arrives by dog sled at this one show a year :D but other than that and all the kids entertainment it is a normal show.

No you can start them at any age. If you are in Sydney the big Christmas show is on this Saturday evening 5pm at Erskine Park with 1300 dogs entered. If you are available come along and have a look at what happens at a show. Oh, Santa only arrives by dog sled at this one show a year :D but other than that and all the kids entertainment it is a normal show.

Omg thats awesome!! im in Gladesville :) so Erskin Park is a little closer.... Can I bring the dogs??....andd Nala is an APBT a very very well behaved one who we say she is shar pei, vizsla and staffy mix :S hahah but do you think it would be wiser to keep her at home? just because of wondering councils and some people who think all pitbulls have lock jaw and are baby killers "sad face"

Edited by GussysMum

1300 dogs is a fairly big show so it could be reasonably crowded - I'd tend to leave both dogs at home if you go to Erskine Park so you can talk to people without worrying about what they're up to. It's a lot easier to talk and watch and learn without having to worry about dogs as well. Plenty of time later to take an over excited Dallie pup :D

Technically only dogs entered in the show are allowed to be there but it's very common for others to turn up anyway..

Edited by Sandra777