Training Partner!

You could look at your local clubs too :) I go to Croydon, both the agility and obedience triallers are a really nice bunch of people.

Good to know! I will start up at Croydon when training goes back after Jan, and aim to show only on Saturdays where possible.

Gosh, I live in the inner suburbs and can't find very many people who are at all interested in training. The local obedience club was far too inconsistent, and Tarja found paddock-bashing for an hour with them boring. Oh yes, there was the severe kennel cough she picked up there, too :mad There doesn't seem to be anyone who actually trains in the local park, everyone just lets their dogs have a run as far as I can tell.

Some times you gotta get in with the right group of people at obedience clubs - try to have a chat with the people who are trialing.

As for training at the local park - most people go somewhere quiet to train so they don't get disturbed by a bunch of free running dogs and their casual owners.

I would love love love a training buddy!! I don't find motivation the issue, more just having some eyes to really see where i'm going wrong would help!! and find it even harder that I don't really have a club to go to to practice either!! I'm thinking of starting again next year with a club or their trial ring runout nights, so hopefully that will help - so anyone around the Bris area, i'd love a training buddy!! :D

what part of brissie? We have a little group Tuesday nights at Pine rivers that train if you're close.

I am an experienced obedience person and I have some terrific training buddies who keep me motivated and continually pull me out of the hole I have dug myself (thank you girls, you know who you are) thumbsup1.gif

These same people sympathetically listen to me whinging about the stoopid things I have done at a previous training session, nodding at the appropriate time, which makes me feel soooooo much better wink.gif

They have also clipped me over the ear when I have got frustrated or expected too much of my dog.

I think I can safely say the shoe has been on the other foot and I have been able to offer them the same advice, the sympathetic nod and the clip over the ear whenever they have needed it. We are a happy group of positive trainers and I wouldn't want it any other way.

As for help and advice - I am time poor, but I have always tried to help when I can, not the time wasters, but the people who want to improve and are prepared to put the time and effort in. I am sure some of you are reading this and nodding biggrin.gif

and if all else fails........I email the guru with the subject heading of......HELP rofl1.gif

You've been my obedience saviour and I hope you know how appreciated you are, by many of us!! :)

I may not have been "in the game" for long, but if I can do my bit to help others as a "pay it forward" kind of thing, I am only too happy to help those newer in the game, or even the old timers if I can ever be of any assistance laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

I think I can safely say the shoe has been on the other foot and I have been able to offer them the same advice, the sympathetic nod and the clip over the ear whenever they have needed it. We are a happy group of positive trainers and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Having been clipped many a time, I now wear a helmet to Sunday training :eek:

rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

I have a training partner that I meet up with on a Monday night. It's sooo helpful, I started training retrieving this year and without someone to help me each step of the way I wouldn't have gotten anywhere!! Mason is now ready for the RATG to be held next year due to the training. We have also managed to pull off our CCD and CD titles this year, granted our novice ring performance was not great but hey we got there in the end!!

RubyStar said about Ptolomy

You've been my obedience saviour and I hope you know how appreciated you are, by many of us!!

And not just in WA - there's a group of people down here in Tasmania who are also very grateful to WA DOLers for advice and inspiration (and commiserations :D )

Having been clipped many a time, I now wear a helmet to Sunday training :eek:

rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

And where are the videos????? :rofl:

Guess that's one of the advantages of being long-distance disciples :rofl:

Talian if your realy having trouble try the Ballarat Dog Obedience class in Vic Park on sundays. They have a puppy class and the instructors are great, and will help you out with your pup.

I have not done any obedience training with anyone for years now, and find it hard to get motivated to find a 'training buddy' :(. But if i get a new pup in the new year then i will have to suck it up and do some classes i think.