Dog Reactions When You Come Home

Staffyluv

Can I please have some suggestions on how to stop the dog carrying on when I get home

Pound foster used to carry on (crying, jumping etc) when I left. So I resolved this by making a leaving routine by putting him in a safe place, with a treat and a toy - took about a week but it worked. No more anxiety when I left.

When I come home, he jumps, whines (it is like a crying sort of noise), runs around like a loon for about 5 minutes and 'can't seem to calm down'.

I have tried ignoring his reaction

Leaving him out until he sits quietly and is calm at the door (but as soon as he is in it starts)

Going out to him and spending a few minutes in the yard before coming inside (it is me, though as he carries on as soon as he sees me, does not matter if he is in or out). When I go out I just sit at the outside table and say nothing but he runs, whining and jumping around me.

The staffy cross pup we have here has just started doing the same. Now I can handle the staffy vocals (Ollie was very vocal) but the jumping and running (full blown zoomies) around like loons is getting to me.

I want them to be calmer, I realise this will take some work. So I have come to ask for the collective wisdom of the DOL training community. Yes I realise this might be better in the training section but thought I would get more advice here as not everyone goes into the training section :o

Now this really the only concern I have with the boys now - they have come so far from being complete lunatics from the pound, afraid of everything with no manners. They both now sit, shake and we are working on drop. They both fetch toys and balls (this is their fave).

They are both toilet trained to not go in the house and we have a bedtime routine that sees them both go to bed together and not get up until 7am, when I rise (if I want to sleep in at bit).

Your assistance is much appreciated.

PS they will both be going to formal training early next year but I have not had the time or the funds to do this right now, hence me trying to resolve it without professional help at the moment.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much help, my dogs go spare when we get home :o

I dont mind it to be honest, I run around the yard WITH them like a loon :laugh:

I think normally the best thing to do is just ignore them until they are calm, it may just take a while before they get it :)

I'm sure more knowledgeable people (who don't run round like a loon with their dogs) will be here soon :laugh:

Ignore the crazy. Reward (in a calm manner given that you're trying to keep them calm) when they calm down (ie give them treats, "good calm", more treats "good calm").

ETA: I don't do this. I love the fact that they are excited when I get home. They don't make a lot of noise though.

twodoggies - saying "no" isn't ignoring :-)

Edited by megan_

I completely ignore my dog when I come home, do not look at him, speak to him or anything. I began to ask him to sit, if he didn't listen I continued to ignore him, once he had sat and was calmer, then I reward him with a pat and saying hello.

Now when I get home he still comes over and has a sniff, is a little excited as evident by the tail but by no means jumping etc, after about 30 seconds he will go and sit in the same spot waiting for me to come over and greet him. Has worked for us. :thumbsup:

Good luck :D

after a hard day at the office it's so nice to be greeted like you are the best person in the world, I love coming home and seeing all my dogs lined up at the sliding door excited. They run in and they are so excited they zoom around and only one is smart enough to work out that's the time to get a pat from mum. I do put my handbag down first, give the cats a smooch, open any mail so it's not me walking straight in and letting them in

If your dogs get on well together I see no problems and if it's only for a few minutes you should be proud of hte progress that they have made. The only time I have had trouble is when in the past that I had a foster dog and my own dog and they started fighting when I came home :(

Ignoring them until they settle and then appearing is a good start. If they start up again then you just go back inside. It's a game if it's your choice - you carry on, I go away. you sit quietly then I'll progress to patting, playing, whatever has the value attached.

As others have said it personally doesn't bother me if they want to carry on and be stupid when I get home. (In fact one of our neighbours once said to me that the only time they carry on during the day is when it gets dark. They start up which makes the light come on and then they stop again. The light isn't automatic. They start up because they hear me in the house. They stop when I come outside and ask them to do something. :rofl: )

In fact I USE the stupidity to train with. If they can maintain any criteria or do anything I'm asking when they are in that state then it makes it pretty easy to get it when they are in any other state of mind. :)

I have another side to an enthusiastic greeting. Occasionally I have my cousin's miniature schnauzer fro a few days when they go away. All in all he is a great little dog and my young boy gets on so well with him. BUT, whenever we have been out and come home, or when he is finally picked up by his family he lets out an almighty scream, which continues for several minutes. We tell him 'No' to no avail and try hard to ignore him. I'm told that's how his family is greeted the same way. The neighbours must think there is a murder in progress. Any suggestions?

I know it's pathetic, but I love the welcome I receive when I get home from work...I use some of my two's sheer enthusiasm and delight at seeing me to offset some of the less than enthusiastic interactions I have during the day...lifts my spirits no end and I wouldn't change it.

I know it's pathetic, but I love the welcome I receive when I get home from work...I use some of my two's sheer enthusiasm and delight at seeing me to offset some of the less than enthusiastic interactions I have during the day...lifts my spirits no end and I wouldn't change it.

Not pathetic. Highlight of my day too. :)

But I can see the OP's problem. I find that the layout of the area where you greet the dogs is important. It's fun for me to meet my dogs at the side gate and watch them tear around the yard and then up the back stairs. If I had to greet them in a narrow passageway, It would be a bit stressful. That's all I can think of for now that might help. Greeting the dogs in a suitable area for them to be excited in.

I'm not much help, my dogs go spare when we get home :o

I dont mind it to be honest, I run around the yard WITH them like a loon :laugh:

I think normally the best thing to do is just ignore them until they are calm, it may just take a while before they get it :)

I'm sure more knowledgeable people (who don't run round like a loon with their dogs) will be here soon :laugh:

Lol yes, Sammy knows what time I get home, so he's waiting at the gate, and I can't help myself, I'm excited to see him too. I get changed out of my work clothes first thing and then let him in and the fun begins. Often he is so excited he has to grab a toy if he can, then he comes over for hugs. Poor kitty has to wait his turn.

If I wanted to stop it though I guess I would just completely ignore him, wait until he stops noticing me (even if it's only for a second), then call him over and say hello. Just do it on your terms - and don't just ignore, condition and reward the behaviour you want.

ETA My dog has no separation anxiety when left alone at home - he knows I come and go as I please. What he doesn't like is when I leave him with someone else (like ask someone to hold him whilst I go to the bathroom or something), he will often carry on a bit then, and won't move from the spot I left him.

Edited by jacqui835

Like others I do not mind the dogs going nuts when I get home. However I do not accept them jumping on me. My older dogs are fine, but my younger dog (10 months) still ocassionally jumps, mouths and pulls on my clothes. :mad I have to ignore her and will not talk to her or pat her until she is sitting. She is slowly getting it. :)

My oldest dog now has fantastic manner - she sit and waits for me near the door. However this took alot of work. When she was a pup she would get so excited jumping around that it would hurt me. I had to physically restrain her and would not let go until she was calm.

Coming home to 4 of them, it's important that they aren't running around like morons... I walk straight through them, let them outside, and continue on as usual. I don't talk to them or make eye contact until they are calm. Two of them calm down faster than the other two, and they get the attention first. The other two continue to be ignored until they settle.

If you find it difficult to do this, come in with the idea of doing something else first. come in and put the kettle on and make a cuppa, or go get changed. The whole time remain calm and relaxed so that they settle. As soon as they settle, call them to you.

Hmmm I have this dilemma a lot too - carry on doing something which isn't showing the desired effect to see if it works long-term, or try something else? :shrug:

In my case I come in the door, say "hello dogs", put my stuff down and say hello to my OH, then give them quiet slow pats. I find that acknowledging them stops them from pushing harder for attention (like jumping up), and then when I give them calm pats they have a hard time staying in a more excited state than I am and they just relax. Then they've got what they were after and trot off happy.

The exception is if they don't bark at all from when I pull into the garage from when I get in the door, then they get a fuss the instant I walk in :D

Ignoring the dog?

I come home and jump out of the car and go "Doggies!! Hello Doggies!! Doggies!! Run Doggies Run!!"

I suggest the OP doesn't do this. :laugh:

:laugh:

This is me :o

Me too, I miss my dogs so much when I go out, that when I come home, I'm just as excited to see them as they are to see me....I just love the welcome they give me when I arrive home, & wouldn't change it for the world. :)

But I agree if this isn't suitable to you then ignoring them would probably be the best way of handling it. :)

Ignoring the dog?

I come home and jump out of the car and go "Doggies!! Hello Doggies!! Doggies!! Run Doggies Run!!"

This is my OH too - he yells "PUPPIIEEEEEES!!!!" when he comes in then gives butt rubs and scritches, sometimes gets down on the floor and wrestles with them :laugh: I'm sure some trainers would have a fit if they saw it :p

Ignoring the dog?

This is my OH too - he yells "PUPPIIEEEEEES!!!!" when he comes in then gives butt rubs and scritches, sometimes gets down on the floor and wrestles with them :laugh: I'm sure some trainers would have a fit if they saw it :p

:laugh: Yep my OH is ten times worse than me :rolleyes: He sends them into a freakin frenzy