What Papers Should Come With A Purebred Puppy?

Fiasco

Hi everyone!

Just have a question regarding what papers or documents should come from a registered breeder. I have recently (about 2 weeks ago) picked up my purebred Golden Retriever pup from a registered breeder in Brisbane (pic's to follow, I promise!) and only received his worming and vaccination records and a change of ownership form that was presigned by the breeder. Was I supposed to receive pedigree papers with him as well?

On the day I went to choose which pup I wanted, the breeder had me sign something but I can't, for the life of me, EXACTLY recall what it was (too excited to meet and pick out my pup!). Could someone please tell me what the appropriate documentation a purebred pup should come with when buying from a registered breeder? Please forgive my ignorance on this, I have never bought from a registered breeder before, only ever had rescue dogs so this is a new experience for me.

The pup was also given on a limited register which I understand the conditions of, but is that something different to actually registering your pup with the council? Do I need to do this separately?

Sorry for the confusion. I have tried to contact my breeder regarding all this but she is away on holidays at the moment and her friend who is dog-sitting for her was not able to answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for all your time :)

Hi Fiasco - firstly Welcome. Come and join us in the golden retriever thread under breed sub forums.

The change of ownership papers that you got, did Dogs QLD on the front and were they Orange? Or was it micro-chip papers. You should receive pedigree papers, but these may be sent later to you. Sometimes papers aren't available at the time of pick-up due to the registering body being a bit slow to process them.

Yes, Limited registration is different to registering with your council. You will still need to do this :)

Wow, thanks Goldenwei and Talien for your fast replies. That's certainly cleared things up for me. Goldenwei, the form I filled out was not orange but I'm certain was a change of ownership form that may have been a photocopy. I faxed it to the number that was on the form and it did contain his microchip number on it.

I have just had a look at Chase's sales contract and it says that the breeder is indeed responsible for forwarding the Pedigree papers - sorry I didn't look closely the first time! It also says that they are responsible for forwarding certificate of registration - again, separate from council registration? :confused:

Yep the form you sent away would be to change his microchip details.

Yes you will have to register him with the local council, this is different to Dogs Qld registration.

All the Dogs Qld registration really is when you get down to it, is piece of paper giving you his family details confirming he is a pure bred Golden with his pedigree recorded in the stud book.

Dogs Qld offices close down this week until after New Year, so unless you get lucky and the breeder sent it all away before they went on holiday, don't expect anything back until the 2nd or maybe 3rd week in January.

In the meantime enjoy! :D

Talien. Definately a golden. I have a feeling puppy may be from American lines. There is a QLD breeder who focus's on them, actually I think there may be two. They usually have very gold goldens. Cream isn't a recognised colour in the USA, so you will see some dark goldens. Have a look at some American Golden retriever websites, they can get VERY dark.

The change of ownership will be for the m/chip. The breeder is probably yet to register or has just registered the litter. Once the litter has been registered with Dogs QLD, the papers will get sent back to her and it is her job to forward them onto you :)

Cute puppy :)

This is timely, I was tossing up starting a thread asking why all the golden retrievers I see are very pale, almost cream. I was wondering of the truely golden ones are rare or is it just where I live? If you dont want me asking in here Fiasco, I can start my own thread. It has been bugging me...

I don't mind you asking at all! When I was searching for a reputable breeder to get my pup, I found that A LOT of Golden Retriever breeders were breeding light/cream goldens. I prefer the really gold colour coats (that's why they're called "Golden" Retriever after all!). I am not sure if Chase has American Lines in him, though I have seen some American ones - I believe they call them 'red' in colour (similar to a Ridgeback's colour almost). I was quite lucky to get the darkest of the litter as his littermates were a bit lighter than him. His mother was a light honey but his father was a really nice rich golden. That being said, there are a couple of really cream goldens at my local dog park who look beautiful, but people often ask what breed they are as they do not have that typical 'golden' coat.

The breeder told me that he will get a bit darker as he gets older, can any other goldie owners confirm? He is currently 11 weeks and haven't yet seen any noticeable colour changes in his coat (had him since 8 weeks).

Fiasco. Yes definately will get darker as he gets older. My eldest golden was very cream as a puppy, he's now a light gold colour. Have a close look at his ears, the edge of the ear should be darker than the rest of it, this is the colour, or about the colour he will end up.

Goldens shouldn't be red either.... the standard says, Any shade of cream or gold, but niether red nor mahogany.

I don't think breeders are necessarily breeding more cream, there are still plenty of goldens of all shades in the rings. The European lines seem to have more cream. It may also have something to do with the colour genetics and the mode of inheritance.... which I don't know much about... especially with shades of the one colour. I don't think breeders are going out of their way to breed more cream, I think that they are choosing the best dog for their bitch and if they happen to be putting two creams together etc then so be it. I think once people start being colour biased the breed will suffer. I admit I had a preference for gold when I first got into goldens, but now I don't care, I have seen some gorgeous cream dogs, but I have seen some equally gorgeous gold ones.

Fiasco... where's your puppy from? you can PM if you prefer

Hi Fiasco :)

That's a great black and white close-up.

It could win a prize. :D

Traditionally, Golden Retrievers were a copper coin colour. Very nice.

Times change and people's taste change too.

My dogs are often mistaken as retrievers, if retreivers were still the original colour, that could never happen.

Changes in some breeds are astounding, in others quizzical. Nevertheless, it's up to the particular fancier I guess.

Px

Fiasco. Yes definately will get darker as he gets older. My eldest golden was very cream as a puppy, he's now a light gold colour. Have a close look at his ears, the edge of the ear should be darker than the rest of it, this is the colour, or about the colour he will end up.

Goldens shouldn't be red either.... the standard says, Any shade of cream or gold, but niether red nor mahogany.

I don't think breeders are necessarily breeding more cream, there are still plenty of goldens of all shades in the rings. The European lines seem to have more cream. It may also have something to do with the colour genetics and the mode of inheritance.... which I don't know much about... especially with shades of the one colour. I don't think breeders are going out of their way to breed more cream, I think that they are choosing the best dog for their bitch and if they happen to be putting two creams together etc then so be it. I think once people start being colour biased the breed will suffer. I admit I had a preference for gold when I first got into goldens, but now I don't care, I have seen some gorgeous cream dogs, but I have seen some equally gorgeous gold ones.

Fiasco... where's your puppy from? you can PM if you prefer

Very true, thank you for your input. Also just PM'd you Chase's breeder details :)

Hi,

In Queensland you have to sign what is called a "limit register agreement" form. This is needed by Dogs Queensland to be able breeders to sell puppies on the limit register. a copy is available HERE from dogs queensland.

This is then attached to the litter regististration form we send into Dogs Queensland. It is basically an agreement that protects the breeder if anything that the puppy we sold WAS on the limit register and you by signing this form understands this. There have been cases where owners have later contacted Dogs Qld, complaining they cannot breed their bitch because it was on the limit register and they did not know. If you have signed this form, it should have been explained to you by the breeder and by signing it, you are supposedly are to understand that.

Like the others have said, the forms you sent off are more than likely the change of ownership for the microchip. When we microchip the puppies at 6 weeks, we have to register them with the microchip company in our name. They are not transferred automatically, as we have to sign part of the form as well as the new puppy buyer to transfer them into the new owners name.

Some breeders like to have all the puppies registered and the pedigree papers ready to go when the puppies go. Sometimes this is not possible due to a number of reasons. In QLD we can register the pups directly into the new owners names whereas other states, register them to the breeder then have to transfer them again to the new owner. Most breeders in QLd, will wait until all the puppies are sold before sending in the litter registration form to Dogs Queensland. This way, only one registration is paid not two (the second being the transfer from breeder to puppy buyer). Dogs Queensland generally take about 10-14 days to send the papers back to the breeder who then has to forward them to the puppy buyer.

As Dogs Queensland do shut down for the Christmas period, there would be a longer delay in getting the papers back. If you do not get them back by the end of January, then I would be raising questions then.

Around where I live in Vic we mostly get creams and light golds the breeder I went to has the darkest retrievers that I've seen IRL, but I do know that they can get very dark, never seen a dark puppy before he looks stunning! Arty is a golden brown colour, sort of a gold with a silvery tone to it. I am very interested to see what colours he comes out as!

Thanks everyone for clearing it all up for me. Makes sense now and I'll wait for the first couple of weeks in January to see if I've received anything or if the breeder is back from vacation. The form I signed on "puppy picking day" was definitely the one you showed me Mystiqview, thank you for that :)

And Tailen, Arty looks SO cute in your profile pic! And your cat on the far right in your banner looks exactly like my cat Nala! :laugh:

Thanks everyone for clearing it all up for me. Makes sense now and I'll wait for the first couple of weeks in January to see if I've received anything or if the breeder is back from vacation. The form I signed on "puppy picking day" was definitely the one you showed me Mystiqview, thank you for that :)

And Tailen, Arty looks SO cute in your profile pic! And your cat on the far right in your banner looks exactly like my cat Nala! :laugh:

if you papers don't arrive follow it up with the breeder. Papers can and do go astray. I am still waiting on papers sent out by the VCA on Dec 2nd, doubt they are going to arrive anytime soon so will have to chase up replacement papers in Jan when the office reopens. Right royal pain in the :bottom: