Dog Killed With Capsicum Spray- Melbourne

LouBon

This is so sad. :(

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/owner-accuses-council-of-coverup-in-death-of-dog-sprayed-with-capsicum-20111217-1p067.html

Owner accuses council of cover-up in death of dog sprayed with capsicum Mark Russell

December 18, 2011

Nicole Watson has lodged a formal complaint over the death of her dog.

MACLEOD mother of two Nicole Watson has accused Banyule City Council of a cover-up over the death of her dog, Hector.

The two-year-old Dogue de Bordeaux was found dead at the Nillumbik pound after having been subdued with capsicum spray by police and snared with catch poles by two Banyule City Council rangers.

Ms Watson believes police and rangers overreacted when called to capture the ''gentle'' Hector, and fears other family pets may face a similar fate amid a state government crackdown on wandering dogs.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Hector, The Dogue de Bordeaux found dead at the Nilimbik pound.

The Banyule Council declined a request by the RSPCA to interview the rangers and has refused to give Ms Watson a copy of the autopsy report revealing how Hector died, while Nillumbik City Council has told her she must make a freedom-of-information request for access to CCTV footage of her dog at the pound.

She has lodged a formal complaint with the state Ombudsman, the Bureau of Animal Welfare and RSPCA Victoria.

Questions over Hector's death in June last year come as councils face growing pressure from two sides: residents who want to ensure dangerous dogs are not roaming the streets; and owners who claim harmless pets are at risk of being targeted under new legislation that permits council rangers to restrain and destroy menacing and dangerous dogs.

Although Hector's breed are powerful dogs, they are described on VeAnimals website as being intelligent, calm and never showing unwarranted aggression.

''It makes me wonder what limits Hector was pushed to and did the council ranger know how to read dogs or even understand their behaviour,'' Ms Watson said.

In her complaint, Ms Watson said Hector had escaped from her yard on June 1 last year so she alerted the Banyule Council and asked to be contacted if he was found. Hearing nothing, she went to the pound the next day and was told her dog was dead.

''Hector … was lying on a towel dead in the pen and I just collapsed hysterically and laid over Hector to cuddle him,'' she said. ''Because l was crying so much l was wiping my eyes and they started stinging. I started screaming. It was then I had been told my dog had been capsicum-sprayed.''

Banyule Council spokesman Dave Bell said Hector had been behaving aggressively after getting into the backyard of another property and trapping a woman and her child inside their home.

He said rangers were unable to safely capture Hector so they called police, who used capsicum spray to subdue him.

Mr Bell said the autopsy showed Hector died from a combination of stress and possibly the effects of the capsicum spray, not from being choked by the catch poles. He said that had been explained to Ms Watson.

RSPCA inspector Daniel Bode confirmed his request to interview the rangers was refused.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/owner-accuses-council-of-coverup-in-death-of-dog-sprayed-with-capsicum-20111217-1p067.html#ixzz1gwN8Slhv

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine being faced with a dog like that? I'm sorry but for many of the population that would be simply terrifying, even if the dog was calm. If people don't know what type of dog they are looking at or whether it is friendly, they would have every right to be petrified and want to protect their children or pets.

As I said to someone whose lose dog was almost collected by a car in my vet's carpark, I have small dogs (NB pls don't presume this doesn't mean that I don't like larger dogs as many do) and I am always scared when I see a loose, larger dog as I have no idea what they are about to do!

The owner of this dog perpetually lets it wander - they have a workshop a few doors down from my vet. It's extremely inconsiderate to people walking in that area with dogs or not, to do this.

Poor dog. However, owners often think their dog is "gentle" but they don't take into account that in stressful situations even the most laid-back dog can be aggressive.

Absolutely and with a guarding breed they can act very differently with strangers than with their owners. The normally gentle giant can become a very dangerous animal with strangers. I also wouldn't call them a gentle breed. The first one I ever saw was in the group line up at a major Royal show and it sunk it's teeth into the owners hand in the ring when they tried to stack it.

Poor dog but the problem here is the owners allowing a large guard breed to escape. If you choose to own a powerful scary looking dog you have to assume that the public and even the pound officials might over react when they see it so it is vital to keep the dog contained for it's own safety.

Poor dog but the problem here is the owners allowing a large guard breed to escape. If you choose to own a powerful scary looking dog you have to assume that the public and even the pound officials might over react when they see it so it is vital to keep the dog contained for it's own safety.

I don't think any owner 'allows' their dog to escape, unfortunately it can happen despite ones best efforts if a dog is determined to get out it will, or someone may have let him out (we don't know the details merely that he escaped)

I do agree that with ownership of any larger dog breed or even some of the medium breeds with a more widely known reputation you have to accept that someone may misinterpret your dogs signals or judge on breed/ size alone. It is not always enough to have a well socialized dog unfortunately and even the best can turn when put in a strange stressful situation with people they don't know in particular. I would like to see more education for rangers on how to read signals and general public definitely needs better dog awareness too. This is a tragic example of both the owner and the system failing and a dog paying with it's life as a result..

Have to agree it's VERY suspect that they won't release footage or comply with an investigation.

I am the first to admit (even though both my dogs are big dogs) that wandering big dogs can be frightening, I encountered one 2 weeks ago and stayed clear, encountered it again a week ago and could see that time that it was friendly, I took it to the vet, but I am a very confident dog person, with experience in dog body language.

In saying that, the council are being extremely secretive, on top of that she notified the council that her dog was loose the day of and she was never contacted...why? Even worse if they had been contacted by her before the report of the dog in the neighbours yard came in, because if that was the case then they could have called her to come get the dog.

I can understand her anger and I would be the same. Could you imagine calling the pound expecting no news and being told your dog was dead, to see your dog laid out like that dead..

I can't imagine how distressing that was.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

When you report a dog as missing they don't get onto the Bat phone and let every ranger in all surrounding councils know about this missing dog. I think it is unreasonable to expect a ranger, when faced witha dangerous scenario, to ring council HQ and check if anyone has reported a missing dog and then contact that person to come and collect it. What if the dog had then bitten the owner? Could she sue the council then?

My dog escaped from the yard 2 weeks ago. There was a gap behind a tree and I only found it once she was home safe. I had to go into my neighbours yard and go through bushes to even find it. She is fearful and I expected that, if out and alone, she would shut down. Nope - she chased a man, barking wildly. Fortunately she is little and cute and nothing came of it. As soon as I realised she was gone I ran outside and called her name and she came running home. I was lucky.

If something had happened as a result of that incident (eg menacing dog fine, her being hit by a car, the man hurting her to defend herself) I would be devastated but it would be my responsibility - not the person who landed up hurting her.

Responsible dog ownership isn't just about always trying to do the right thing, it is about accepting responsibility for an animal's life and the community that can be impacted by that animal.

A few posters are assuming that the rangers misread body language - maybe they didn't?

Poor dog he might have been gentle but if he found him self in a strange place being a guarding breed he would have reacted and the lady could have been screaming or acting scared that would have made him panic more and once all te council ranger came along the poor dog would have been terrified.

I don't think any owner 'allows' their dog to escape, unfortunately it can happen despite ones best efforts if a dog is determined to get out it will, or someone may have let him out (we don't know the details merely that he escaped)

You'd be suprised. Someone I know has a 30cm gap under their fence and their "escape artist" JRT can walk right under it.

Gates with dogs behind then should always be locked so that trouble-makers can't just let them out. If you have tradies coming either have someone there or put your dogs in care. If your dog is a climber put in a solution or leave them in a run/indoors. It is a hassle and costly but to me that is all part of owning a dog.

Sometimes dogs to escape (happened to me as per my other post) but a fair whack of time people just don't care that much about their dog...

WOW talk about irresponsible! Shep is spoilt and generally happy at home :) but we did have another aussie visit who jumped the fence (we put another up over that section now) and led everyone out for a walk but with fences close to 6ft and only one place that shep had never shown interest in at all (he isn't a jumper) we were so surprised when we got back and nobody was home. Thankfully all back safe but it was an eye opener for us and I'm now a little more understanding when dogs do get out.

Still no answer as to why the secrecy? Refusing to talk to the RSPCA investigator? Why not releasing the autopsy? Why not the CCTV? They are making it as hard as possible for her to find out what happened. If they were not at fault they wouldn't be making it so hard. And why wasn't she contacted? Her dog was laying dead in their pound, a dog that had been reported lost/missing and they never contacted the owner?

Yes we as owners have a responsibility but as yo have admitted, even the most responsible owners can sometime have a pet escape. And I am sure this lady regrets it every day now but I can understand her anger at the Council and police, especially considering the secrecy they are operating under in relation to her dogs death.

Absolutely unacceptable. Dogs escape EVERY DAY.... this does not mean that as a result your dog may be killed if they react badly to being caught. Councils have the responsibility to impound and wait for owners to claim. Breed specific bias and cruelty is RIFE in Victoria and embedded in many councils. Banyule council was my old shire before I moved house and while this story disgusts and upsets me, it's not all that surprising.

How revolting. I hope she gets her FOI and I hope the truth emerges.

This story makes me worried. Clearly, it's concerning that a dog would die in a shelter environment and no accurate records be kept (or disclosed) regarding cause of death.

But more concerning is: Who has recommended that capsicum spray be used on dogs? On what basis is that a good strategy? Who does animal handling training for these people?

Capsicum spray is recommended for use on animals. It is generally regarded as less lethal than a bullet, which would also be an option for a menacing dog at large. Reactions can occur. There are a great many risks to the health of any animal out and about.

A woman and child were trapped in their house by a very large dog that could not be caught by 2 rangers - the police were then called. The alternative to capscium spray is presumerably a gunshot. Making sure that your dog is safely contained is sooooo very important. If fencing is not adequate then you need a fully enclosed run. So many people think it is ok for their dog to wander :mad and just because it is a gentle giant with you does not mean it is that way with strangers.

Edited by frufru

Guest lavendergirl

I feel very sorry for this lady. For all we know this may have been the first time the dog escaped the yard and it may have been totally unforeseen - unfortunately the ultimate price was paid.