Rescue Lumping Breederswith Byb And Pet Shops

Kavik

Our rescue regularly advises people to get a pup from registered (and ethical) breeders - the numbers of people applying for any dog we have that even looks "pure" is incredible...

We had a pretty large response for a Poodle pup we had recently, and so many people wanted guarantees about future (possible) health issues, that we advised them to contact DogsNSW to find a reputable poodle breeder who could advise/guarantee same - unfortunately most people said that a registered purebred Poodle "costs too much"... grrr! Funnily enough, those people didn't even get an appointment to meet our pup either... *grin*

Don't be put off by the lunatic fringe in rescue... we aren't all like that... honest! We hate the Facebook armchair rescue warriors almost as much as you do - believe me!

T.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shrug: It's a shame, but technically what they are saying is true.

Totally disagree - got the same crap when I first got a purebred cat. If I hadn't got a purebred cat of my chosen breed I wouldn't have got one at all. Me not getting a purebred would not have saved one cat. And we also have had purebred dogs of a breed we love from rescue - if we had not rescued the breed we wanted we would not have taken a rescue. That is again our choice.

Not everyone thinks all dogs/cats are the same - not surprising as they aren't. Not everyone wants a rescue that is their choice - preaching at them, trying to guilt them into taking responsibility for other peoples negligence will only lose people who were perhaps considering rescue.

There are rescue groups placing young adult rescue dogs just as carefully as I was placing greyhounds. It's important to ask questions about what they do to avoid problems in the dogs they rehome.

I think there is a problem with buying a puppy of unknown breeding for a particular purpose, or even as a pet. Some rescuers will disagree, but I can't see how you can always weed out the puppies that will develop serious problems later.

Once you have an adult dog, a good foster home assessment will give you the best possible understanding of every facet of the dog's temperament. Whether the dog is a pound rescue, a surrendered dog, or a dog run on by its breeder. It takes weeks to understand the dog and see it in a range of situations.

I guess I am sensitive to this topic after reading a lengthy topic in the Rescue Forum here, where many rescuers are upset at what a minority of 'rescuers' are doing on Facebook and how the over-zealous ideas and activities of some 'rescuer's can lead to big problems for new dog owners.

The difference between ethical and unethical rescue is as big as the difference between ethical and unethical breeding.

Yep - When I was rescuing and people came to me wanting a dog that was good with their kids the inevitably wanted a pup (this includes my brother). I could tell them over and over again the benefits of getting an adult dog but they had in their heads that they could control a pup better. Many members of the public have a view that you can only bond with a pup. My brother finally agreed to getting an older pup - the best compromise I could get him to go with. When I eventually get another greyhound it will either be show bred or an adult from GAP.

Taking any life into your family is a big risk. A breeder (or rescue of course) cannot guarantee that you will never have problems with your pup. I'm with Greytmate on this one. All people can do is test and try to match dogs (from wherever) and homes with the information available at the time. I'd hate for people to read this thread and think that buying from a breeder makes their pup physically and temperamentally bulletproof, whereas adopting from rescue means their dog is a cluster of problems waiting to happen.

edit: too slow. what the last 2 posts said

Yep - when rehoming my Fauve babies I can tell people how I find Fauves to live with, how my Fauves are having grown up in my household but that doesn't mean that the pup they get from me will turn out the same as they will raise them differently. Even with careful breeding you can only control so much.

I am extremly lucky that all 3 of my pound dogs have been very healthy, but that is another unknown when getting a rescue that can make the dog unsuitable for what you want to do with your next dog as well. I am just glad that there are plently of good breeders out there breeding the best dogs they can and giving us the option of having a well bred healthy dog if that is what you choose to own.

You bought dogs from the pound, not from rescue, there is a big difference.

If the point of this topic is to show that good breeders should not be lumped in with the byb and pet shops, it has been lost on you. There is no such thing as 'pound/rescue'. You bought your dog from an organisation or different organisations and there is no reason to assume that all rescue organisations or pounds are the same or have the same level of quality control.

Coming onto DOL to whinge about rescue as a whole just because you had a bad experience with your own dog is just as offensive as the person lumping registered breeders in with brb and pet shops on Facebook.

Jacqui you are wrong about health testing in rescue dogs, and you are wrong to claim that your dog was carefully bred or well-bred. Your dog is cross-bred and its genetics are quite random. There is far less risk in adopting an adult dog from a good rescue organisation than there is to buy a cross bred pup like you did from a byb. The special qualities you ascribe to your dog can be found in just about any breed of dog, hence their popularity as pets. However the problems you report having with his behaviour are quite unusual in most breeds and very undesirable.

Very disappointing to see people jumping about to vent about rescue, when all prospective dog buyers need to be careful, regardless of where they buy the dog from.

Why do you do this in every thread? I'm not going to go into it with you again suffice to say a person can cross-breed for particular traits and have particular goals in mind, there will naturally be more variation expressed that what would be seen from the mating of 2 dogs of the same breed that share more genetic material than brother and sister would in any wild species but we're talking about degrees here, not absolutes - it is after all, how all breeds were formed in the first place. My dog has no behavioural problems, he has now been assessed by professionals and some of the best dog trainers in Australia and will be going for his B.H. early next year and since he picked up tracking first try, looks like he'll be doing that too (I do feel lucky and thank other, more constructive members on these forums for putting me in touch with such great people). If I misinterpret his behaviours to be more or less (or just completely different) than what they are, or you misconstrue what I say, or maybe you just don't know everything there is to know about dog behaviour... well that's an issue you have with me. And it's quite obvious that you have an issue with me, which I find strange, because I actually believe that at the heart of it, I want what you want.

When the parents are unknown (let alone the history beyond that), which was not the case with my dog you may be interested to know, there is more risk involved. When you don't even know what breeds are in the dog, there is again, more risk involved. I for one would never want to own a dog that had both bull breed in it and guarding breed, or like a breed bred to retrieve crossed with a breed bred to hunt. All I have to do is look at my sister's papillons and compare them to the working dogs at my club (GSD's, malinois's, rotties and dobes etc) and you can very quickly see the massive differences between breeds - and different people suit different breeds - it's handy information to have...

It's true, in my mind all good dogs should be capable of doing what my dog does, but they're good dogs because they have good material to work with and build upon in the first place. My gosh do we have some poorly bred shepherds show up at our club, incapable of anything really in even the most capable hands, thin nerves, fearful, lacking in intelligence and don't get me started on the back legs of some of them. The products of unscrupulous breeding, people looking to make money etc. And who knows when you get a shelter dog what the history is? Now if you don't mind and you're prepared to tailor yourself entirely to the dog you bring home, awesome. Or you just generally want something small and friendly with people and other dogs, awesome, shelter's the go. But how can you on a pure bred dog forum where people devote their entire lives to improving the breed and producing superior animals claim that a shelter dog is likely to succeed in the owner's chosen activity (if they have one outside of being a loving pet) than one from a breeder who has spent their whole life (and capitalised on the time spent by others) selectively breeding better dogs - for that purpose? Several factors go into making a dog the dog it is. Genetics, early upbringing, training, life experience etc and with rescue dogs you may know only some or none of that information. Of course there is more risk with a shelter dog.

I'm wrong about health testing am I? Do they hip score? Run the usual tests associated with the particular breed - if they know what breed it is? Where is this rescue organisation you speak of, they deserve way more publicity if they're running these sorts of campaigns and we should all be promoting them in the hopes that other rescue organisations feel pressured to emulate them. Oh but wait, rescue organisations have no money, they can't afford to test their animals - hence the reason very few ethical breeders will ever come close to making a cent from their hobby.

My dog has a small amount of rottweiler in it, which is a breed also in the working/protection group, and a breed used in the development of the doberman to begin with so I'd argue it's not in the same league as say the staffy cross everything that make up the vast majority of dogs we see in the pounds today anyway (again I work in greys rather than absolutes and I just know that statement is not going to go down well). What I don't understand is how you can call us hypocrites for supposedly grouping all rescue type institutions together, and yet you group every example of cross-breeding in the same category...

I recommend rescue to plenty of people and have seen plenty of happy stories. I would not purchase/adopt a dog under any circumstances where I did not meet the parents myself, meet the breeder, like the breeder, like the parents etc because my dog is too much a part of my life and I'm not prepared to take the risk that I end up with a dog I was disappointed in - maybe I'm a bad person, or maybe I've just been lucky enough to find out first hand what people are capable of producing when they devote themselves to the task. Plus I don't want desexed dogs - I like that little testosterone boost. That's just me. Doesn't mean I don't support the rescues that I think do a good job (because you're right, they're not the same), and now I've managed to get my work to choose one of them as one of our charities too.

I don't think I've seen a single comment that in anyway reflected that someone here thinks you don't need to be very selective and put a lot of time and effort into 'adding to your family', so I'm sorry you're disappointed, but I don't know why.

Edited by jacqui835

:shrug: It's a shame, but technically what they are saying is true.

Totally disagree - got the same crap when I first got a purebred cat. If I hadn't got a purebred cat of my chosen breed I wouldn't have got one at all. Me not getting a purebred would not have saved one cat. And we also have had purebred dogs of a breed we love from rescue - if we had not rescued the breed we wanted we would not have taken a rescue. That is again our choice.

Not everyone thinks all dogs/cats are the same - not surprising as they aren't. Not everyone wants a rescue that is their choice - preaching at them, trying to guilt them into taking responsibility for other peoples negligence will only lose people who were perhaps considering rescue.

Errrm.......did you read my entire post or did you just choose to quote me totally out of context to get a bite?

I recommend rescue to plenty of people and have seen plenty of happy stories. I would not purchase/adopt a dog under any circumstances where I did not meet the parents myself, meet the breeder, like the breeder, like the parents etc because my dog is too much a part of my life and I'm not prepared to take the risk that I end up with a dog I was disappointed in

I consider this thread has gone way OT but I just wanted to point out to other readers that there are plenty of good reasons why you might not be able to meet the sire, the breeder, the dam or even the pups before buying. :D

I am extremly lucky that all 3 of my pound dogs have been very healthy, but that is another unknown when getting a rescue that can make the dog unsuitable for what you want to do with your next dog as well. I am just glad that there are plently of good breeders out there breeding the best dogs they can and giving us the option of having a well bred healthy dog if that is what you choose to own.

You bought dogs from the pound, not from rescue, there is a big difference.

If the point of this topic is to show that good breeders should not be lumped in with the byb and pet shops, it has been lost on you. There is no such thing as 'pound/rescue'. You bought your dog from an organisation or different organisations and there is no reason to assume that all rescue organisations or pounds are the same or have the same level of quality control.

Coming onto DOL to whinge about rescue as a whole just because you had a bad experience with your own dog is just as offensive as the person lumping registered breeders in with brb and pet shops on Facebook.

Very disappointing to see people jumping about to vent about rescue, when all prospective dog buyers need to be careful, regardless of where they buy the dog from.

Hi Greytmate, 2 of my dogs came from rescues, and 1 straight from the pound, I was attempting to keep my reply from getting to long and wordy with specifics. The dog with the most serious behavioural problems which were not picked up before adoption came from 3 + months of foster care with a reputable rescue group, I was very aware of the difference between a dog from the pound and a dog that had been fostered and assesed before rehomeing, which is why I went with the rescue in the first place. Maybe you did not read my entire post? I was very clear that I was just relaying my own experiences with my own dogs and not rubishing all rescue dogs/organisations everywhere. I feel however that people do need to know that rescue dogs arn't always the perfect option for everyone, an opinion that seems to get pushed pretty strongly in some places by some people, I used to always push people towards rescue too. My point was that if you are looking for a dog for a particular purpose, which I was, that maybe rescue was not the safest bet to get the right dog for your needs.

My post may have missed the point of the original topic, as you say, however the conversation had strayed from that already by the time I posted, I didn't have anything to add to the initial post but thought my experiences relevant to add to the coversation where it was at when I posted. Not all people who breed dogs are equal, and not all rescue groups are equal either and shouldn't be lumped together, however even the good rescue groups are getting dogs from unknown breeding, upbringing and circumstances and despite their best efforts occasionally will miss something before rehomeing.

I'm sorry my post seems to have offended you so much, your reply came off pretty strong so I guess you are upset. Maybe a good time to go give your dogs a big hug and forget about the internet for awhile :) Take care

I'm all for the right dog for the right person, but I think these posts are over-playing the risks of rescue and underestimating the risks of breeders.

Adopting an adult rescue dog means you can see what you're getting moreso than a puppy. Good training and where necessary the intervention of a good behaviourist can resolve many issues.

Even the best of pedigree parents can have a pup with problems, and these might not become apparent until later in life. And even if the dog is a perfect specimen, it could have a non-genetic problem, experience or injury which renders it just as unsuitable for the desired purpose no matter how many years you have spent training.

Taking any life into your family is a big risk. A breeder (or rescue of course) cannot guarantee that you will never have problems with your pup. I'm with Greytmate on this one. All people can do is test and try to match dogs (from wherever) and homes with the information available at the time. I'd hate for people to read this thread and think that buying from a breeder makes their pup physically and temperamentally bulletproof, whereas adopting from rescue means their dog is a cluster of problems waiting to happen.

:thumbsup: very well said, 100% agree.

I don't think it's fair or appropriate to guilt people into getting rescues, but neither do I think it's fair to say that there are not enough rescues suitable for top sporting competition. You only have to look at the top dogs in any state in disciplines such as agility, flybsll, obed to see that a reasonable percentage of them are rescues.

Itd be good if people took a little more responsibility for the impact that their training/handling has in relation to how successful their dogs are.

Edited by Vickie

You only have to look at the top dogs in any state in disciplines such as agility, flybsll, obed to see that a reasonable percentage of them are rescues.

My second dog is a rescue. Got her from a breed specific rescue org at approx 2 years of age. She has a few issues but nothing major, and has quite a collection of first place obedience trophies in the 2 years we've been trialling :) Rescue was something I said I'd never do, but for some reason I did :shrug: Wouldn't swap her for the world, but I won't be guilted into getting more rescue dogs. My next few will be pedigree purebreds from reputable breeders, then maybe I will revisit rescue further down the track. Just my choice based on the fact that I feel sad I missed her puppyhood and I hate not knowing where she came from. I know of a few people IRL who like to preach about getting rescues and not from breeders, and it makes me feel like I can't get excited about a new puppy in their presence. Noone should be made to feel like that! Each to their own.

Edited by RubyStar

Why do you do this in every thread? I'm not going to go into it with you again suffice to say a person can cross-breed for particular traits and have particular goals in mind, there will naturally be more variation expressed that what would be seen from the mating of 2 dogs of the same breed that share more genetic material than brother and sister would in any wild species but we're talking about degrees here, not absolutes - it is after all, how all breeds were formed in the first place. My dog has no behavioural problems, he has now been assessed by professionals and some of the best dog trainers in Australia and will be going for his B.H. early next year and since he picked up tracking first try, looks like he'll be doing that too (I do feel lucky and thank other, more constructive members on these forums for putting me in touch with such great people). If I misinterpret his behaviours to be more or less (or just completely different) than what they are, or you misconstrue what I say, or maybe you just don't know everything there is to know about dog behaviour... well that's an issue you have with me. And it's quite obvious that you have an issue with me, which I find strange, because I actually believe that at the heart of it, I want what you want.

When the parents are unknown (let alone the history beyond that), which was not the case with my dog you may be interested to know, there is more risk involved. When you don't even know what breeds are in the dog, there is again, more risk involved. I for one would never want to own a dog that had both bull breed in it and guarding breed, or like a breed bred to retrieve crossed with a breed bred to hunt. All I have to do is look at my sister's papillons and compare them to the working dogs at my club (GSD's, malinois's, rotties and dobes etc) and you can very quickly see the massive differences between breeds - and different people suit different breeds - it's handy information to have...

It's true, in my mind all good dogs should be capable of doing what my dog does, but they're good dogs because they have good material to work with and build upon in the first place. My gosh do we have some poorly bred shepherds show up at our club, incapable of anything really in even the most capable hands, thin nerves, fearful, lacking in intelligence and don't get me started on the back legs of some of them. The products of unscrupulous breeding, people looking to make money etc. And who knows when you get a shelter dog what the history is? Now if you don't mind and you're prepared to tailor yourself entirely to the dog you bring home, awesome. Or you just generally want something small and friendly with people and other dogs, awesome, shelter's the go. But how can you on a pure bred dog forum where people devote their entire lives to improving the breed and producing superior animals claim that a shelter dog is likely to succeed in the owner's chosen activity (if they have one outside of being a loving pet) than one from a breeder who has spent their whole life (and capitalised on the time spent by others) selectively breeding better dogs - for that purpose? Several factors go into making a dog the dog it is. Genetics, early upbringing, training, life experience etc and with rescue dogs you may know only some or none of that information. Of course there is more risk with a shelter dog.

I'm wrong about health testing am I? Do they hip score? Run the usual tests associated with the particular breed - if they know what breed it is? Where is this rescue organisation you speak of, they deserve way more publicity if they're running these sorts of campaigns and we should all be promoting them in the hopes that other rescue organisations feel pressured to emulate them. Oh but wait, rescue organisations have no money, they can't afford to test their animals - hence the reason very few ethical breeders will ever come close to making a cent from their hobby.

My dog has a small amount of rottweiler in it, which is a breed also in the working/protection group, and a breed used in the development of the doberman to begin with so I'd argue it's not in the same league as say the staffy cross everything that make up the vast majority of dogs we see in the pounds today anyway (again I work in greys rather than absolutes and I just know that statement is not going to go down well). What I don't understand is how you can call us hypocrites for supposedly grouping all rescue type institutions together, and yet you group every example of cross-breeding in the same category...

I recommend rescue to plenty of people and have seen plenty of happy stories. I would not purchase/adopt a dog under any circumstances where I did not meet the parents myself, meet the breeder, like the breeder, like the parents etc because my dog is too much a part of my life and I'm not prepared to take the risk that I end up with a dog I was disappointed in - maybe I'm a bad person, or maybe I've just been lucky enough to find out first hand what people are capable of producing when they devote themselves to the task. Plus I don't want desexed dogs - I like that little testosterone boost. That's just me. Doesn't mean I don't support the rescues that I think do a good job (because you're right, they're not the same), and now I've managed to get my work to choose one of them as one of our charities too.

I don't think I've seen a single comment that in anyway reflected that someone here thinks you don't need to be very selective and put a lot of time and effort into 'adding to your family', so I'm sorry you're disappointed, but I don't know why.

You don't seem to understand dog breeding very well.

Your dog is a second generation crossbreed. As long as you keep coming into threads and claiming that the breeding of your dog could have produced the reliability of traits found in a purebreed, myself and others will keep coming in to remind you that you are wrong. By pushing your point that your cross-breed dog has specific purebreed attributes you are perpetuating a myth that cross-breeding will produce predictable traits.

Dog breeds were developed through culling and careful selection, much more so than by outcrossing. Your second generation out-cross is not a breed and not a good example to be constantly bringing up on a purebreed discussion board.

Please stop with the explanations about your breeder, we have heard them before and it doesn't change anything. You choose to enter so many threads and needlessly talk about your own dog, don't be surprised when people make comments.

:shrug: It's a shame, but technically what they are saying is true. That's not to say that a puppy that I don't buy from a breeder isn't going to end up the same way if I don't buy it though.

I've given up feeling the need to take responsibility for other people's crap behaviour and attitudes. :mad I know a lot of animals are in really bad situations, but just like I can't help every child that needs it I can't help every dog that is in a bad way.

My interest is not in rescuing dogs, it is in training dogs, the best I can do with the time I have is to make sure I look after my dogs and encourage others who I meet to do the same.

There a zealots in every walk of life and area of interest. They are best ignored.

Actually, it's not true. I have four pedigree dogs, and if I didn't have them it doesn't mean I'd be rescuing four dogs because I wouldn't. I wouldn't have any dogs. So my dogs are not taking up space in my house that four dogs in rescue could be using because I'd never get a rescue dog if it didn't have a pedigree.

Same with my cats.

I'm all for the right dog for the right person, but I think these posts are over-playing the risks of rescue and underestimating the risks of breeders.

Adopting an adult rescue dog means you can see what you're getting moreso than a puppy. Good training and where necessary the intervention of a good behaviourist can resolve many issues.

Even the best of pedigree parents can have a pup with problems, and these might not become apparent until later in life. And even if the dog is a perfect specimen, it could have a non-genetic problem, experience or injury which renders it just as unsuitable for the desired purpose no matter how many years you have spent training.

:thumbsup: very well said, 100% agree.

I don't think it's fair or appropriate to guilt people into getting rescues, but neither do I think it's fair to say that there are not enough rescues suitable for top sporting competition. You only have to look at the top dogs in any state in disciplines such as agility, flybsll, obed to see that a reasonable percentage of them are rescues.

Itd be good if people took a little more responsibility for the impact that their training/handling has in relation to how successful their dogs are.

I agree that there are some potential top sporting dogs in rescue, but you have to be good at temperament testing and also know where to find them, probably good networking would help. I don't feel confident in my ability to temperament test a pound dog to find a dog with a good temperament with sporting potential. I would trust you though :thumbsup:

With Zoe, I was not looking for a world winning agility dog, I was simply looking for a dog that I could give sports a go with and have fun with. She was to be my first real go at sports. I would most certainly have changed a lot of how I trained and socialised her (I will most certainly own my mistakes with her), however I did the best with what I knew at the time and I don't feel I did any worse than someone looking for just a pet would have done, the person who would have adopted her if I didn't. Most people would assume that puppy preschool, some off lead play at a dog park and obedience classes from 4 months would be enough to have a social dog.

Definately this :thumbsup: no matter where you get your dog from, and what issues he may or may not have, at the point he becomes yours you are responsible for turning him into the dog you want him to be, well behaved pet or performace dog or whatever else. I freely admit that while I trained Anna to the best my ability with what I knew then, it wasn't nearly good enough for what she needed to bring out her best. I've since spent a lot of time and effort and a small fortune learning how to be a better trainer for her and we are slowly getting there and I have no doubt that in the hands of a better trainer she could have been a great agility dog within a reasonable time frame, I still hold out hope that together we will get there eventually. It is the challenging dogs who teach you the most, and my older dogs have all taught me so much about behaviour and training and I'm grateful to them for having the patience to teach me.

I wish I knew what I know now when I got Zoe, maybe she would be better, maybe not, I feel guilty that I didn't know enough to fix her or bring her to her potential, but I also don't think that anybody deserves to go through that, and most dogs are lovely and fine without half the work I put into her.

:shrug: It's a shame, but technically what they are saying is true. That's not to say that a puppy that I don't buy from a breeder isn't going to end up the same way if I don't buy it though.

I've given up feeling the need to take responsibility for other people's crap behaviour and attitudes. :mad I know a lot of animals are in really bad situations, but just like I can't help every child that needs it I can't help every dog that is in a bad way.

My interest is not in rescuing dogs, it is in training dogs, the best I can do with the time I have is to make sure I look after my dogs and encourage others who I meet to do the same.

There a zealots in every walk of life and area of interest. They are best ignored.

Actually, it's not true. I have four pedigree dogs, and if I didn't have them it doesn't mean I'd be rescuing four dogs because I wouldn't. I wouldn't have any dogs. So my dogs are not taking up space in my house that four dogs in rescue could be using because I'd never get a rescue dog if it didn't have a pedigree.

Same with my cats.

well said and i definitely agree, i adopted my dog knowing where he was from and knowing if i ever needed to i can reach his breeder to discuss any concerns. i wouldnt have gotten a dog had he not become available to me and i cant say ill ever choose to go to a rescue for a dog, i like knowing where he is from i like knowing he has been screened for genetic issues being aware of his past and knowing what i am signing on for. it makes him much easier to trust around children and include in my daily life with family and friends. i cant see myself ever getting a puppy so to avoid many issues associated with adopting older dogs i look at older dogs from reputable breeders. a rescue cant give me those things that are so important to me and so i wont be adopting from a rescue for the foreseeable future. i will however continue to support rescue however i can.

Don't get me wrong, at 12 she now tugs for the first time ever (a little, but hey, she is 12!), does MANY tricks, training every day, chase a ball and regular walks, so I do plenty of stuff with her even though she is my oldest dog, but does not get to run offlead obviously or meet other dogs.

That add is just horrible!!! :(

As a rescue we always recommend people to go and buy from a registered, responsible breeder or adopt.

My mum is a registered breeder of Rhodesian ridgebacks and JRTs. And I hope to one day show a pedigree dog myself. I have often been criticized for this but I don't mind they are just extremists.

OMG I just watched that and it made me feel sick. Stupid ad people. People choose rescue or breeders because of the same reason - to have a family member. I have only been in rescue for 7 months, but it is things like that ad that will turn people off rescue. Can't believe somebody thought that was a good idea.