Rescue Lumping Breederswith Byb And Pet Shops

Kavik

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That add is just horrible!!! :(

As a rescue we always recommend people to go and buy from a registered, responsible breeder or adopt.

My mum is a registered breeder of Rhodesian ridgebacks and JRTs. And I hope to one day show a pedigree dog myself. I have often been criticized for this but I don't mind they are just extremists.

Yep same here! If people ever rang me looking for a particular breed or puppy I would actually go looking on DOL for registered breeders for them and have helped a number of people find a registered pedigree puppy instead of taking a rescue puppy.

That add is just horrible!!! :(

As a rescue we always recommend people to go and buy from a registered, responsible breeder or adopt.

My mum is a registered breeder of Rhodesian ridgebacks and JRTs. And I hope to one day show a pedigree dog myself. I have often been criticized for this but I don't mind they are just extremists.

Yep same here! If people ever rang me looking for a particular breed or puppy I would actually go looking on DOL for registered breeders for them and have helped a number of people find a registered pedigree puppy instead of taking a rescue puppy.

If you have one or a mix of one of the breeds theyre after do you offer those as options first? (just curious) they may be aware of breeders but trying rescue as an option first :)

If someone rang about a dog in foster care I would always talk to them FIRST about their family and what they were after. Often you would find that they had actually been considering a pedigree dog but had decided to look at rescue first to see if they could find something similar. The reality is that in rescue you can very, very rarely predict the eventual size, look or temperament of a puppy like you can with a registered dog. Of course how you raise that dog will change its behaviour BUT there are certain consistencies within a breed that you just don't have in rescue. If someone has a need or desire for something in particular what is the point of trying to sell them a rescue dog? My goal was to place the dog into the best home possible for the dog and a home that, in an ideal would, would own a pedigree dog, should be saving to own that pedigree dog IMO.

Tris rescue needs people like you.

That ad is so typical of PETA - Morons. What a load of rubbish. I would not buy a rescue ever so I haven't killed anything. I have held loads of dogs that have been dumped ended up in pounds and been euthed because people are morons and dump dogs, breed litters wily-nily and don't give a shit. I have not killed any dog by choosing to buy from the one source I am happy to buy from!

There was quite an interesting exchange a few weeks ago on the DogsVic site with a particular rescue group that was told it could not bring its adoptable dogs to the BigDay Out for Dogs run by DogsVic (for a number of reasons, apparently). Anyway, in the enshewing chaos and abuse, a letter was posted by the head of the rescue group which effectively accused Dogs Vic members and registered breeders of using dodgey vets, being puppy farmers, not vaccinating puppies or taking appropriate care of litters and animals in our care (etc etc). There was a heap of abuse aimed at registered breeders and DogsVic by the supporters of this group - there was even a post asking if it was true that Dogs Vic was selling unwanted dogs for scientific experiments!

So I have to say, while I generally do support the work of rescue groups (noting members of our breed club have been involved in breed rescues and its part of the Club's mission) I was pretty much revolted by the a buse laid on by this group, there was certainly a feeling of PETA to it all....

Rather interesting LM as I know some of the background to the refusal.

Why do you do this in every thread? I'm not going to go into it with you again suffice to say a person can cross-breed for particular traits and have particular goals in mind, there will naturally be more variation expressed that what would be seen from the mating of 2 dogs of the same breed that share more genetic material than brother and sister would in any wild species but we're talking about degrees here, not absolutes - it is after all, how all breeds were formed in the first place. My dog has no behavioural problems, he has now been assessed by professionals and some of the best dog trainers in Australia and will be going for his B.H. early next year and since he picked up tracking first try, looks like he'll be doing that too (I do feel lucky and thank other, more constructive members on these forums for putting me in touch with such great people). If I misinterpret his behaviours to be more or less (or just completely different) than what they are, or you misconstrue what I say, or maybe you just don't know everything there is to know about dog behaviour... well that's an issue you have with me. And it's quite obvious that you have an issue with me, which I find strange, because I actually believe that at the heart of it, I want what you want.

When the parents are unknown (let alone the history beyond that), which was not the case with my dog you may be interested to know, there is more risk involved. When you don't even know what breeds are in the dog, there is again, more risk involved. I for one would never want to own a dog that had both bull breed in it and guarding breed, or like a breed bred to retrieve crossed with a breed bred to hunt. All I have to do is look at my sister's papillons and compare them to the working dogs at my club (GSD's, malinois's, rotties and dobes etc) and you can very quickly see the massive differences between breeds - and different people suit different breeds - it's handy information to have...

It's true, in my mind all good dogs should be capable of doing what my dog does, but they're good dogs because they have good material to work with and build upon in the first place. My gosh do we have some poorly bred shepherds show up at our club, incapable of anything really in even the most capable hands, thin nerves, fearful, lacking in intelligence and don't get me started on the back legs of some of them. The products of unscrupulous breeding, people looking to make money etc. And who knows when you get a shelter dog what the history is? Now if you don't mind and you're prepared to tailor yourself entirely to the dog you bring home, awesome. Or you just generally want something small and friendly with people and other dogs, awesome, shelter's the go. But how can you on a pure bred dog forum where people devote their entire lives to improving the breed and producing superior animals claim that a shelter dog is likely to succeed in the owner's chosen activity (if they have one outside of being a loving pet) than one from a breeder who has spent their whole life (and capitalised on the time spent by others) selectively breeding better dogs - for that purpose? Several factors go into making a dog the dog it is. Genetics, early upbringing, training, life experience etc and with rescue dogs you may know only some or none of that information. Of course there is more risk with a shelter dog.

I'm wrong about health testing am I? Do they hip score? Run the usual tests associated with the particular breed - if they know what breed it is? Where is this rescue organisation you speak of, they deserve way more publicity if they're running these sorts of campaigns and we should all be promoting them in the hopes that other rescue organisations feel pressured to emulate them. Oh but wait, rescue organisations have no money, they can't afford to test their animals - hence the reason very few ethical breeders will ever come close to making a cent from their hobby.

My dog has a small amount of rottweiler in it, which is a breed also in the working/protection group, and a breed used in the development of the doberman to begin with so I'd argue it's not in the same league as say the staffy cross everything that make up the vast majority of dogs we see in the pounds today anyway (again I work in greys rather than absolutes and I just know that statement is not going to go down well). What I don't understand is how you can call us hypocrites for supposedly grouping all rescue type institutions together, and yet you group every example of cross-breeding in the same category...

I recommend rescue to plenty of people and have seen plenty of happy stories. I would not purchase/adopt a dog under any circumstances where I did not meet the parents myself, meet the breeder, like the breeder, like the parents etc because my dog is too much a part of my life and I'm not prepared to take the risk that I end up with a dog I was disappointed in - maybe I'm a bad person, or maybe I've just been lucky enough to find out first hand what people are capable of producing when they devote themselves to the task. Plus I don't want desexed dogs - I like that little testosterone boost. That's just me. Doesn't mean I don't support the rescues that I think do a good job (because you're right, they're not the same), and now I've managed to get my work to choose one of them as one of our charities too.

I don't think I've seen a single comment that in anyway reflected that someone here thinks you don't need to be very selective and put a lot of time and effort into 'adding to your family', so I'm sorry you're disappointed, but I don't know why.

You don't seem to understand dog breeding very well.

Your dog is a second generation crossbreed. As long as you keep coming into threads and claiming that the breeding of your dog could have produced the reliability of traits found in a purebreed, myself and others will keep coming in to remind you that you are wrong. By pushing your point that your cross-breed dog has specific purebreed attributes you are perpetuating a myth that cross-breeding will produce predictable traits.

Dog breeds were developed through culling and careful selection, much more so than by outcrossing. Your second generation out-cross is not a breed and not a good example to be constantly bringing up on a purebreed discussion board.

Please stop with the explanations about your breeder, we have heard them before and it doesn't change anything. You choose to enter so many threads and needlessly talk about your own dog, don't be surprised when people make comments.

It tends to be you and a couple of others with sight hounds as their avatars, many others seem to understand and support me either on the threads or through pm's. I find that interesting, because whippets are like the one purebreed dog that almost always out lives cross breeds and has very few breed specific issues. Just as you can't lump all cross breeds together, I don't think you can do it with pure breeds either.

I have never denied that he is a cross breed or different from a pure bred Doberman, only taken offense to a couple of your comments that group all instances of cross breeding together and negatively. I am all for the promotion of of purebreds, but I don't support the notion that cross breeding is always a bad thing. I don't promote it, but I do defend particular instances and I stand up for people I respect. I don't believe you're doing the pure dog community any good by bad mouthing others - your past comments such as cross breeds can never amount to excellence etc just breed animosity. I think you should focus on the good features pure breeds can offer rather than the perceived 'short comings' of cross breeds - you just can't group them all together. You can talk about practices you don't support and why, but to make statements that you could never hope to prove are just setting you up to offend.

My dog has a lot of Doberman traits as you would expect from a 4th generation cross - there is only one dog in his history that is not a Doberman and that was 4 generations ago.

Um I have Whippets and Greytmate has Greyhounds so what the hell has Whippets got to do with it??? I have also had Dobermann's.

I must have missed where having a sighthound means I have a few roo's loose in the top paddock :confused:

Well clearly it's cos they can't herd and keep those Roo's in for you ;)

(meant in a good natured way hoping I don't get bitten lol)

Um I have Whippets and Greytmate has Greyhounds so what the hell has Whippets got to do with it??? I have also had Dobermann's.

I must have missed where having a sighthound means I have a few roo's loose in the top paddock :confused:

Well clearly it's cos they can't herd and keep those Roo's in for you ;)

(meant in a good natured way hoping I don't get bitten lol)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And you know what is even funnier?...................................

I do have some Roo's running loose in the top paddock, they short out my fence the buggers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: