What Breeds / X-breeds Show Up In Shelters?

sandgrubber

Couple years ago, there was an article in that newspaper put out by the kennel association. The front page article was about an unlikely alliance (words used) by AWL in South Australia and the Kennel Association there. AWL had noted the overwhelming number of small 'designed' dogs being dumped or surrendered to them. And, by comparison, only very small numbers of dogs that were most likely purebreeds. Both associations were speaking with one voice that something was very wrong with how those designed small dogs were born, bred, sold and cared for.

Someone may still have a copy tucked away....

Just anecdotally, I keep an eye on AWL Qld's small dogs that have come into their care. And I notice how there are definitely less that could be purebreds. The ones that figure a bit more, are those that have become 'fashionable' breeds.... But there's no way of telling if they're the products of BYBs and puppy-farmers. However, the majority still look like mixed breeds.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

years ago cattle dogs were named as the most dumped dog

i cant remember where i read this

whenever i used to look at pound pics then it seemed that all the fluffies were right up there with the staffy mixes and huskymalamute breeds

fluffies i guess can be unreliable with house training and i know of people who have given up their little dogs cos of that problem

i guess the terriers can be wanderers...maybe some people just get sick of getting them back or theyre barkers or nippers

some dont want to pay the bailing out fee

sad stories abound

poor choices will always be the undoing of our pooches

We now have 2 poodle crosses at home - both from the Animal Welfare League. Zamba is 12 years old and we have had her for over 10 years. She is possibly pure poodle, or possibly a mix.

Brown dog is 6 years old, a brown Labrador poodle cross who would have been bred at the peak of labradoodle popularity. He was dumped at the pound by his original owners just over a week ago, and had been with us for 2 days now :)

Magic dogs, both of them.

My first mini poodle (of many moons ago) came from the Ssndy Creek dog shelter.

Edited by Zug Zug

Oops computer glitch. Wanted to add that the mini poodle from Sandy Creek (Mena) was the most obedient and devoted dog I have ever known. She was sold to me as a terrier cross - she was actually a poodle under a severely matted coat.

I will never understand how such dogs as these are surrendered to pounds.

(well, Zamba was easier to understand. She was a maniac with climbing skills and a penchant for escaping the yard. But the others have been utterly faultless)

Edited by Zug Zug

That's heartbreaking :( obviously I'm going on personal experience as there aren't studies but those with pedigree dogs who initially pay in the higher hundreds and up would be more inclined to seek out medical care as needed and less likely to dump such a significant investment.

I cannot understand how it's easier to dump at a pound when many rescues will even negotiate to pick up the dog and go above and beyond to help those they can. People make no sense :(

I think that there a loads of people who value their dogs highly no matter what their origin. To say that people who pay more for their dogs would be more inclined to seek out medical care is offensive. I paid nothing for my dogs. By your logic, I am more inclined to dump them and not to seek medical care. I don't regard my dogs as an 'investment'. Your personal experience is clearly very limited.

When we look at the numbers of dogs owned in Australia compared to the numbers dumped or left unclaimed in pounds, it would seem that most people care something for their pets - the people who frequent DOL possibly even more so... *grin*

However - the large numbers being euthanaised in pounds is definitely cause for concern, as they aren't dropping, but rising every year - despite the fact that more and more rescues are springing up all over the country and getting significant numbers out for a second chance...

T.

To say that people who pay more for their dogs would be more inclined to seek out medical care is offensive. I paid nothing for my dogs. By your logic, I am more inclined to dump them and not to seek medical care

I don't think this comment was meant to infer that those who are lucky enough not to pay a fortune for their dog, choose not to provide health care if they can afford to. I think the assumption is if a person can't save enough to purchase a 'pedigree' dog, then they may not be able to cope with the sometimes extensive medical costs a dog may bring.

There are plenty of comments on DOL about why pedigree dogs are so expensive and a lot of comments saying "if someone can't afford how much one costs, they can't afford the associated costs". Maybe the thought is the more someone pays for something the more they value it?

Im sure Vets see a lot of people (pedigree dog or not) put into financial distress after paying for Vet visits, or being told they need thousands for unexpected surgery. In those cases I can see why dumping at the pound might seem like the only option for some people, like the poor dog with HD mentioned earlier.

Edited by Roova