Puppy Pooping Inside

ineedsleep

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

Have you tried placing the poop on the spot outside where you would like her to go - and then take her to that spot regularly so she associates the smell with that spot and may then make the connection?

My 9 week old puppy is constantly pooping inside, I take her out give her time to look around and wee - which we dont have a problem with, I even leave the door open so she has access to the outdoor area - nothing seems to work please HELP

Hi ineedsleep :)

Firstly, you won't get a full nights sleep with a new puppy for at least a couple of weeks.

Here is an extract from our support page on my dogs website. House Training

Young puppies should be taken out during the night as they don’t have the bladder control to hold on overnight until 14-16 weeks of age. So a few weeks of broken sleep will follow the arrival of a new puppy.

Puppies will toilet after eating or drinking so take the puppy outside immediately after meals. Be patient and make a fuss of the puppy when its finished its business. Dogs also prefer to toilet on rough surfaces so take the puppy outside when it moves onto a carpet. Other signs to watch for are the tell-tale posture for evacuation. When the puppy assumes this position, it needs to go outside

Dogs will not soil their den so the use of a crate to minimise inside accidents and train the puppy can be helpful. Set the crate up as a bed and this can then be used to put the puppy in when you can’t watch it or during the night while you are asleep. The crate could be the puppies bedroom if you like, where he can go when he wants to be left alone but it must not be used as punishment.

Never scold a puppy for soiling inside. It will merely train them to soil inside when you are not watching. It is important to regularly take the puppy outside, reward soiling outside and minimise inside ‘accidents’. The puppy will then learn that it needs to go outside. It you catch your puppy soiling inside don’t scold it, but in a hurried voice pick the puppy up taking it outside saying ‘outside’ or whatever command you choose to instruct your puppy to go to the toilet. Then reward the puppy.

With regards

Px

post-3970-0-09328800-1324541635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

My 9 week old puppy is constantly pooping inside, I take her out give her time to look around and wee - which we dont have a problem with, I even leave the door open so she has access to the outdoor area - nothing seems to work please HELP

Hi ineedsleep :)

Firstly, you won't get a full nights sleep with a new puppy for at least a couple of weeks.

Here is an extract from our support page on my dogs website. House Training

Young puppies should be taken out during the night as they don’t have the bladder control to hold on overnight until 14-16 weeks of age. So a few weeks of broken sleep will follow the arrival of a new puppy.

Puppies will toilet after eating or drinking so take the puppy outside immediately after meals. Be patient and make a fuss of the puppy when its finished its business. Dogs also prefer to toilet on rough surfaces so take the puppy outside when it moves onto a carpet. Other signs to watch for are the tell-tale posture for evacuation. When the puppy assumes this position, it needs to go outside

Dogs will not soil their den so the use of a crate to minimise inside accidents and train the puppy can be helpful. Set the crate up as a bed and this can then be used to put the puppy in when you can’t watch it or during the night while you are asleep. The crate could be the puppies bedroom if you like, where he can go when he wants to be left alone but it must not be used as punishment.

Never scold a puppy for soiling inside. It will merely train them to soil inside when you are not watching. It is important to regularly take the puppy outside, reward soiling outside and minimise inside ‘accidents’. The puppy will then learn that it needs to go outside. It you catch your puppy soiling inside don’t scold it, but in a hurried voice pick the puppy up taking it outside saying ‘outside’ or whatever command you choose to instruct your puppy to go to the toilet. Then reward the puppy.

With regards

Px

Thanks for all the replies, I take her out very every 2 - 3 hours during the day, at night we dont seem to have a problem she sleeps very well just in a soft bed beside my bed and if I dont wake through the night - which is very rare - she lets herself out, I leave the door onto the verandah open through the night, this is the most frustrating bit. The other thing I have considered is that my partner is only home every second day and then a full weekend. We didnt seem to have to much of a problem yesterday but today when he was home she was just really "naughty". I did forget to mention we have two puppies (brave or stupid or dedicated)you pick which one, the male does not have any of these issues at all.

Every 2-3 hrs is not enough... If it was she wouldn't be pooping inside. The seconod she circles, or nose hits the floor, out the door. At 9 weeks you can't assume they know to go outside. It takes months for dogs to be reliably toilet trained.

When I say every 2 -3 hours that is me taking her out, that is picking her up and carrying her out. She is only inside through the night - no problems there - but she spends more time outside with her brother - who as I have mentioned does not have a problem. I have even watched her poop outside then she comes in waits maybe 30min and then goes. Diet is that same as when i collected them week and a half ago.

Every 2-3 hrs is not enough... If it was she wouldn't be pooping inside. The seconod she circles, or nose hits the floor, out the door. At 9 weeks you can't assume they know to go outside. It takes months for dogs to be reliably toilet trained.

When I say every 2 -3 hours that is me taking her out, that is picking her up and carrying her out. She is only inside through the night - no problems there - but she spends more time outside with her brother - who as I have mentioned does not have a problem. I have even watched her poop outside then she comes in waits maybe 30min and then goes. Diet is that same as when i collected them week and a half ago.

So, that means she needs to go out every half an hour, regardless of when she last went.. remember, she is a BABY and has a tiny bladder. if my pup didn't go outside every half an hour, there WOULD be an accident. He'd even get distracted going to the loo, come inside and pee straight away.

You seem to have a lot of excuses for why it's happening, but don't seem to be taking suggestions on board as to fix it.

My pup was having similar issues, I would wake up and in the glass room off my bedroom would be nice big pile sick2.gif Great to clean up during the night. She had a bladder infection which I actually think was developing when I brought her home, once I took her to the vet and got onto that the wee & poop problem seemed to fix itself. She goes out before bed at 9, I wake up and take her out at 2am and again at 7am and that seems to be working well now (12 weeks). It's not easy I nearly cracked at 10 1/2 weeks but I'm definitely glad were in a bit of a routine now. Accidentally can still sometimes happenif I'm not paying attention but that's my fault.

Hope for the best for you, oh and what kind of pup did you get wave1.gif

She knows that she has done wrong thing as she even whines after doing it.

No.. she may whine because it is uncomfortable.... . or she may whine with anxiety because she remembers something unpleasant probably happens after she does it..

most 9 week old puppies do not have control .. they may feel they need to go ..then... it happens. No time for dog door ..or even to get outside.

Correcting puppies when they toilet indoors... or even just mumbling/ feeling a bit cross then can make puppies more anxious, which leads to muddled thinking, which leads often to more toileting inddors...and so on .

Toileting outdoors is cause for treats and playtime ... it is a positive thing to work towards ... :)

What are you feeding her?

How much are you feeding her?

What breed and/or size is she?

Is all her worming up to date?

How many times per day exactly does she poo?

There could be a medical or behavioural problem which is causing her to poop excessively- have you spoken to your vet?

Young puppies really need to go out almost every hour (depending on the pup, and also after they eat, drink, wake up or play.

[Toileting outdoors is cause for treats and playtime ... it is a positive thing to work towards ... :)

Quite. You need to make a big fuss and an overly exagerated show of approval. Your dog is just a pup, and the language of a grown up from another species has to be pushed through the filters of 'doggy understanding.' You might give the puppy two whole minutes of attention but just 5 seconds gets registered.

Px.

So, that means she needs to go out every half an hour, regardless of when she last went.. remember, she is a BABY and has a tiny bladder. if my pup didn't go outside every half an hour, there WOULD be an accident. He'd even get distracted going to the loo, come inside and pee straight away.

You seem to have a lot of excuses for why it's happening, but don't seem to be taking suggestions on board as to fix it.

No not making excuses, just giving everyone the facts, I do know a bit about this as i have had dogs before as well as working in a veterinary hospital for 10 years, I have never had this problem with any dog or puppy before. And as i have previously said, she does spend a lot of time outside aready, and we went through the night last night with no accidents, bed at 11pm up at 5.30am - door left open crapped outside lots of praise and a treat given. Anyway today is another day so we will see how we go.

What are you feeding her? - Hills Science Large Breed Puppy

How much are you feeding her? - Twice daily

What breed and/or size is she? - Alaskan Malamute

Is all her worming up to date? _ Yes

How many times per day exactly does she poo? - 6 - 7 times a day

There could be a medical or behavioural problem which is causing her to poop excessively- have you spoken to your vet? - Not really, but have just discovered the previous owners of the house had a cat inside all the time - could be the problem???

Young puppies really need to go out almost every hour (depending on the pup, and also after they eat, drink, wake up or play.

I have a play pen which Duke spends the day in and I cover the floor with newspaper. He gets to roam the whole house while I'm home and I only lay a few sheets of newspaper down in one area and he will always seek it out to go to the toilet, and this is after only having him for a week. Maybe your little girl is scared to go outside on her own if her brother doesn't follow which is why she is ok during the day? I'm definitely not an expert but it could possibly be an issue.

BTW I think you are smart getting two pups, there might be a bit of pain now but they will be happier in the long run as they will never be lonely. I have a one year old Keeshond Bear and we just got Duke an 8 week golden cocker spaniel and I wish I had got them at the same time, would have made life much easier!

I'm sure everyone here would love to see a pciture of your little pups :)

6-7 x per day sounds a little excessive to me. Try a food with less grain and see if that helps.

BTW I think you are smart getting two pups, there might be a bit of pain now but they will be happier in the long run as they will never be lonely. I have a one year old Keeshond Bear and we just got Duke an 8 week golden cocker spaniel and I wish I had got them at the same time, would have made life much easier!

Are you serious? Apart from the fact that it means double the time, double the mess, double the commitment, double the costs and double the work (probably even more so when it comes to training), two puppies are very likely to bond more strongly with each other than the handler, that in itself is a major problem.

Be glad you waited a year, your 12 month old hasn't even matured yet!