Supercoat Large Breed

mace

Just out of interest, does anyone feed Purina Supercoat Large Breed the one with the GSD on the packet?

I can't seem to get it, not that I have reseached into it other than a few vacant stares asking about it in Wollies, but I did a run around a few shops late yesterday afternoon, no one had it and I haven't seen it on the shelf for about a month. I tried a bag of the adult with the Cocker on the packet, but our poos were a bit softy looking on that?

Just wondered if anyone else had seen a short supply of the large breed in the mean time, I will check deeper into it after Xmas

We have had no issues getting the 3.5kg and 18kg bags in at work. Around this time of year I came imagine some things becoming short stocked with people stocking up to go away and such, but if it's been out of stock for about a month it could possibly be discontiuned by the store or you pick the wrong days to try purchase ;).

Edited by Ben and Jerry

I think it might just be that your store is either out or may not stock it. The working dog was the one I think they discontinued.

Might pay to try pet food stores as they stock better ranges than woolies or coles and much cheaper too! Good luck finding it.

Yes, try a pet food/supplies store. I work at a Petbarn and I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued etc. and I wouldn't think it would be, it's fairly popular (at least at 'my' Petbarn).

We definately stock it. Though this time of year we have trouble keeping alot of products on the shelves! Everyone goes mad!

Hi mace. :)

I used to use Supercoat.

But Big W has 15kg bags of Pedigree for under $30.

I get 25 meals or 6 days out of one bag. (There are four large breed dogs)

I buy 4 bags a month because they get other stuff as well.

That's not bad housekeeping if I say so.

I also find that Pedigree has a variety of kibble/biscuits in it whereas Supercoat is a single kibble product.

I would like to give them Hill's Science Diet or Eukanuba but the cost would be prohibitive.

I don't mind supplementing Pedigree with fresh meat and Pedigree in tins.

Px

Just a note, my large breed dogs developed skin inflammation after one week of Pedigree (working). I wouldn't use it again. But I do find that Coprice Working is a good substitute for the Supercoat Large Breed if needed. Bonnie Working as well.

Just a note, my large breed dogs developed skin inflammation after one week of Pedigree (working). I wouldn't use it again. But I do find that Coprice Working is a good substitute for the Supercoat Large Breed if needed. Bonnie Working as well.

Could be an allergy.

And that's hardly a controlled scientific study.

I don't have any skin inflamation issues but 'Winja' gets heat spots no matter what he is eating.

What does condern me is this: "supermarket foods ... are high in salt to make them palatable."

Supercoat is not supposed to have artifical additives, but salt is considered non-artificial.

Px

Thanks for the info guys, much apprecitated :)

I feed a mince rice and veges meal also, I have my old Lab (9 years) who's hard to keep weight off and one with a funny tummy who can get the runs easily, and my 3rd is pretty good on most things, so I have worked a balance of my home cooked and kibble giving two smaller meals a day and we are going good. I used Royal Canin for a long time which was good and was also good for training treats, all mine love it, but hey, I am an ordinary person, you get short of money sometimes with a few unexpected expenses and the Royal Canin is expensive, got a bit desparate one week and bought some Supercoat Large Breed and was working great, but when I couldn't seem to find it on the shelf and tried the Supercoat Adult, my boy with the funny tummy became mushy again over a couple of weeks, the other day they were all too soft for my liking, anyway, I bought a bag of Royal Canin Xmas eve two feeds now, we are 90% good in the poos again it seems.

My boy with the funny tummy, excuse all the poo talk :( we had trouble with him from a puppy with intermittant mushy poo, sometimes the runs, did all the vet work and could never find anything wrong with him as such, he would often do a couple of nicely formed dobs and at the end of his motion we would get a big cow dung with a yellowish appearance, that type of pattern, someone recommened to us who had a similar problem with theirs to try Royal Canin with a couple of scoops of plain yoghurt mixed in and feed a meal of that and the home cooked one I do.

The funny poos we had went on for two years and was quite disturbing for me never being able to really pin point what was happenning, but in all honesty, the Royal Canin and yoghurt breakfast within a week, completely fixed my boy's funny tummy totally :thumbsup: we went almost 6 months with perfect poos, and messed it up with treats I know now not to give him, but the Supercoat Large Breed did the same job for us and was much more cost effective in the tight spots finacially, but there are so many foods to choose from these days it's a mine field to select something?

Our old family dog as a kid, was fed on a tin of Pal and table scraps, never had a vaccination in his life, never went to the vet once or got sick and lived to 17 years old, today you would never dream of raising a dog that way, makes you wonder sometimes :confused:

I have my old Lab (9 years) who's hard to keep weight off and one with a funny tummy who can get the runs easily, and my 3rd is pretty good on most things,

Our old family dog as a kid, was fed on a tin of Pal and table scraps, never had a vaccination in his life, never went to the vet once or got sick and lived to 17 years old, today you would never dream of raising a dog that way, makes you wonder sometimes :confused:

Its a very interesting point that you make about.

Now that I think about it our dogs never saw the inside of a Veterinary Clinic either.

If fact, I can't tell you where the Veterinary Clinics were or if there were any other than The Lort Smith.

Nowadays, there's practically a Vet on every corner. I can't count the number in Lismore/Goonellabah and there are only about six people in the whole town. :laugh: (I don't know who all the other people are. I think they're like the grey wanderers :D)

Px

Edited by Tralee

I have my old Lab (9 years) who's hard to keep weight off and one with a funny tummy who can get the runs easily, and my 3rd is pretty good on most things,

Now that I think about it our dogs never saw the inside of a Veterinary Clinic either.

If fact, I can't tell you where the Veterinary Clinics were or if there were any other than The Lort Smith.

Nowadays, there's practically a Vet on every corner. I can't count the number in Lismore/Goonellabah and there are only about six people in the whole town. :laugh: (I don't know who all the other people are. I think they're like the grey wanderers :D)

Px

Yes, it's true, we talked about this over Xmas dinner, my nanna's old dog was the same, pop knew a bloke who's Keplie had pups and bought one home at 5 or 6 weeks old, in the days where you had males by preference then you didn't have seasons to mess around with and leave the males entire, less drama's with males they used to say, but they didn't go to a vet ever and my nanna's old Kelpie went to 16 years old. If dogs didn't get distemper which was the big killer back then and pass on or get hit by a car, most people expected around 15 years of life from the average dog, if one passed on at 10 years we think now is a reasonable life span, back them mum was saying yesterday 10 years old was a bit disappointing in the old days?

Coles usually stocks more of the supercoat varieties. I use supercoat sensative for my GSD which woollies does not stock and always get it at coles except when the shelf is empty. Petbarn usually stocks them all if you have a big one nearby. The SP Supercoat is the only one we have found our GSD tummy is stable on so far. Most likely because it's gluten free and fairly low in fat. We will try one of the newer/dearer ones that have appeared that is gluten free in a while. We also feed fresh chicken/turkey/roo and fish. We are trialling protexin and thrive D to help the gut recover from the bouts of the runs.

Yes, our dog from childhood was the same no vets till old, table scraps and the odd bone (cooked :eek: ) and was thriving compared to the dogs now. Possibly they used to do well as the food was fresh and fairly simple without additives as it was what we were eating.

Could be an allergy.

And that's hardly a controlled scientific study.

I don't have any skin inflamation issues but 'Winja' gets heat spots no matter what he is eating.

What does condern me is this: "supermarket foods ... are high in salt to make them palatable."

Supercoat is not supposed to have artifical additives, but salt is considered non-artificial.

Px

I'm well aware it may have been an allergy. :rolleyes: I never suggested it was a controlled scientific study.

The point being, for a sudden allergy to show up in a dog that doesn't get it from anything else may indicate an ingredient that sets off some dogs. Hence passing on such information, public forums being a place for sharing information and experience... :rolleyes:

Px

In those days did you remove a dogs tooth if it was fractured? Did you get bitches desexed? Were there as MANY cars on the road, and people willing to pay to get their dog treated if they were hit?

I think there are more reasons for vets because people are willing to pay to keep their dogs in optimal welfare ;)

Also back in the good old days was there as much 'junk' in dog kibble- the products that they used to use in them were cheaper and profit margins not so huge.

I used to feed my two Supercoat and never had a problem but Maddie has some dermatitis on her feet so I switched to Pro Plan Salmon and Tuna for skin and stomach and have never looked back.My two look fantastic and as Koe said half the poo.

I wont touch pro plan, even if it was free. If your dog has problems dont go to the cheap stuff, you're better off with a fresh diet of raw with a fibre source. Cheap foods are mostly filler and byproducts to bump the protein content up cheaply ... never seen a dog look god on supercoat, I dont think its even possible considering the rubbish in there.

I wont touch pro plan, even if it was free. If your dog has problems dont go to the cheap stuff, you're better off with a fresh diet of raw with a fibre source. Cheap foods are mostly filler and byproducts to bump the protein content up cheaply ... never seen a dog look god on supercoat, I dont think its even possible considering the rubbish in there.

Mine do look great on the pro plan but they also get raw.Could you suggest what to feed them so I could cut the kibble out altogether? They get one cup each kibble in the morning then one cup kibble at night with 250g (approx)of raw and a spoon of pumpkin carrot.They have maintained the same weight for 6 months now.Stan is 32kg and Maddie is 25kg.Your help would be much appreciated.

Sorry to hyjack thread.