2nd Fear Stage 12months

Nalaridge

Hi,

We camping at the moment for the next week with our 12 month ridgeback in Port Fairy.

She's started showing fear signs toward children, in particular girls. She's always been good with kids, but this has come from nowhere. Not sure if it's all the new surrounds,smells and living arrangements (it's her first time camping). But we're very concerned as my wife has just become pregnant and we want to nip this in the butt before we have a child.

I've been trying to teach the girls nearby to approach her slowly (they're really fond of Nala) and to back off if Nala shows signs of being scared. We've just started a treats program for the girls to be involved so that Nala gets treats from them when she approaches them. Soo the aim is for Nala to come to them and not let them rush her. It's worked so far but we've only started it today, as soon as one of the girls get jumpy, Nala will jolt back and bark (tail between legs). There's no point telling her off because it's a warning signal (so I've read) and it's her way of saying I'm scared, punishing her might make the problem worse as she will have no warning.

Can anyone please help with some solutions or who have been in the same situation? I'd hate to give her away once we have a child because we couldn't control the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Your own children/family are much different to a strange child getting in the dogs face. Kids tend to jump, squeal and stare, they are unpredictable and it can be very intimidating for a nervy dog.

Start by having the children ignore the dog and work her below threshold, don't allow strange children to approach her or stare at her. Probably a good idea to contact a professional for advice. Perhaps ask K9 Pro about his 'handbrake' technique to get you started.

And yes, I have been in the same situation.

Thanks Julie, we live in Geelong also, so I'll get back to you when we return from our camping trip in the new year. We have some pulling issues that need help too.

Thanks everyone and SecretKei,, your answers are always helpful.

I went to get coffees just before and my wife said she started growling at one of the girls when she stood by the car, almost territorial. The girl did nothing. It's unusual because she won't do it to older people. And she also did when I took her for a walk earlier and the girls were nearby. It's something about these girls, but they're very gentle and friendly. She's been acting slightly different ever since my wife got pregnant. We're confused.

Definitely get Nekhbet to come and help you. In the meantime though- it may be beneficial for you to teach her to target (touch something with her nose- there'd be plenty of youtube videos). I like using transferable targets (like a target stick) for some situations like this so its worth teaching (and then- if its approprite Nek can show you how to use it to help with the issues). Its quick and easy to teach and can be used in a variety of ways as part of a solution to a problem.

targeting is good as a distraction exercise but I would be doing some more in depth behavioural training with the dog. If you find the dog is uncomfortably with children in the mean time it would be a better idea to try and avoid 'cornering' the dog with children or always have a pocket full of treats and work on distracting the dog (eg lure the dog away from staring at children and praise for calm, focussed behavior)

It's starting to seem like a protective thing but it's hard to tell. Shes all over the shop and a little hard to read.

Today at the beach it was like she was guarding us. Anyway that walked past us within 15-20 metres, she would get up, approach them from behind and sniff them out, if they made any sudden movements she would bark. It's very strange because usually she can't get enough of strangers, she'd want to lick them and get pats. Though different people got a different reaction today, whoever walked past we just told them to ignore her. Some she would be alert, others she would try initiate play. Rhodesians arent known for barking much, but she recently discovered hers. When we left her at the kennel/trainers last month she started barking at the trainer, so they decided to put a shock collar on her to try stop her (without asking us) It did while she was there, but once she was back home she started again. I'm not sure if this might of effected her, but there's a few factors contributing to her behaviour at the moment. She's being moved around a lot during the Xmas break, staying in new places, seeing many people. Her whole routine has changed and that's why it's so hard to determine the cause. I'm trying to ignore the most of it, but it's the children thing that worries us the most.

Anyway sorry for long post, just an update and also more info to add to get a better idea.

Cheers!

Just to clarify, i didn't mean to suggest targeting was the solution, but as a small part of a behaviour modification program its simply something you could start teaching now while you wait to consult a professional. :) We don't use it as a distraction but its too complex for me to explain here. I am sure that the advise you receive from the professional who sees the dog will help a great deal- good luck!

ETA- in the meantime, make sure the dog CAN'T practice the behaviour at all- even if that means restricting off lead time etc.

Edited by Cosmolo

Just to clarify, i didn't mean to suggest targeting was the solution, but as a small part of a behaviour modification program its simply something you could start teaching now while you wait to consult a professional. :) We don't use it as a distraction but its too complex for me to explain here. I am sure that the advise you receive from the professional who sees the dog will help a great deal- good luck!

ETA- in the meantime, make sure the dog CAN'T practice the behaviour at all- even if that means restricting off lead time etc.

I think I know what you meant Cosmolo :D and I wholeheartedly agree no kid visits until we sort out whats going on!

• 3 weeks later...