Dogs Victoria Amenities Show - Vic

SwaY

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair it is only 27.8°C at 10am - Most of us would show in that heat, it's not 40 now and they are showing in that.

fair point SwaY ... but most people make there decision on the forecast for the day ... not what it might be

when they get there ...

if there is a high absentee rate then it will be over early .. and some will say they avoided the hottest

part of the day and were home by then .. yes, BUT only because so many people stayed home !!!!

We didn't even enter this show cause we knew two days in a row with late night starts will tire us & the dogs out.

I know of some one who wasn't going to turn up today UNTIL some one pretty much convinced them that the grp & show may be done by midday.

It's 11am & I haven't heard if they went or not.

I hope those who went have no car troubles and get home safely.

BB

Maybe it just proves who has a life beyond dog shows and winning ;)

Granted to say a friend of mine came down from Albury to do these shows so did this one too, I think travellers can be excluded...lol!!

Edited by Missymoo

If the absentee rate is 80% - then I am very pleased to hear that!! Makes my think that there are

still some sensible people in the dog world!!!

Re the comment about some of the "officials" being from the senior ranks of the dog world, that would

be because they are the people who will help! And once you have agreed to attend, it is just not

right to opt out because the weather is unkind. JMHO

It is increasingly difficult to find "workers" - far too many of the participants are takers - not givers!

Flame suit on!!!!!

If the absentee rate is 80% - then I am very pleased to hear that!! Makes my think that there are

Re the comment about some of the "officials" being from the senior ranks of the dog world, that would

be because they are the people who will help! And once you have agreed to attend, it is just not

It is increasingly difficult to find "workers" - far too many of the participants are takers - not givers!

Flame suit on!!!!!

Doesn't have to be hot for this to apply,its an all year thing with to many takers & not enough givers.

To be fair it is only 27.8°C at 10am - Most of us would show in that heat, it's not 40 now and they are showing in that.

Well, I dropped in to get some more water buckets and just for interests sake took my partners digital temp checker - I was there at 10.15 this morning.

Temp in shade was 48 deg - temp in the ring was 51.5 deg (and that was the grass not the black / tan heavy coated breed that was in the ring at the time) - so average would be 49 deg I guess. Give a 3 deg variance for error in the machine and you still have 46 deg in the ring on the grass.

When people are walking around with sweat literally dripping off them dragging dogs who are dragging / tripping over their own feet I would think that serious heat exhaustion is very close to setting in and the damamge this does to a dogs system can be unrepairable.

I have nothing else to say :(.

Well, I dropped in to get some more water buckets and just for interests sake took my partners digital temp checker - I was there at 10.15 this morning.

Temp in shade was 48 deg - temp in the ring was 51.5 deg (and that was the grass not the black / tan heavy coated breed that was in the ring at the time) - so average would be 49 deg I guess. Give a 3 deg variance for error in the machine and you still have 46 deg in the ring on the grass.

When people are walking around with sweat literally dripping off them dragging dogs who are dragging / tripping over their own feet I would think that serious heat exhaustion is very close to setting in and the damamge this does to a dogs system can be unrepairable.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Flame suit on!!!!!

Maybe those who choose to show their dogs in this heat should have to also steward (in another ring) in the heat. That would sort them out:)

Without the 'golden oldies' working at shows there would be no shows. Since they will turn up to work come hail or furnace because they support the dog world, it is another reason to have a heat policy cancelling shows in extreme conditions. Prevention of Cruelty to Stewards, TW and Judges

Guest CaptainCourageous
Sorry forgot to add that the temp guage is accurate as it is used for OH&S and is checked and calibrated monthly.

We can forgive a little bit of perjury here I guess :)

As 10:15 am temps these numbers don't seem plausible - wasn't the Black Saturday max 46 C ?

And once you have agreed to attend, it is just not right to opt out because the weather is unkind. JMHO

Though we helpers have a duty to ourselves to be on the lookout for our own safety! We need an objective extreme weather policy to protect us from opting in when the correct call is to opt out.

CC

Guest CaptainCourageous

No win is worth putting your dogs through the extreme heat. A BOB/BIG/BIS today is NOT worth the same as at a normal show. I think many people are taking advantage of what will be large absences.

Interesting. Maybe the first five challenge points on the card should be discounted in appropriate circumstances?