Chemical Castration As A Short Term Solution?

samjohn

Had planned to get my male samoyed desexed at 6 months (which is now), as he is definitely showing aggression toward other dogs. However he got a paralysis tick a few and though he is recovering well, the vet recommended that it would not be safe for him to go under general for at least a month. His aggression toward other dogs is coming on stronger every single day though, and I wonder if in a month it will have become habitual to the point where getting him desexed will not totally remove the aggression.

Would chemical castration be a viable short term solution till the month has passed and he can safely undergo the real operation?

I have successfully used chemical castration on a dog and he certainly had no desire for an in season bitch. I would be talking to your vet about your particular dog's circumstances though.

In terms of the agression I wouldn't think that it is only hormones at 6 months of age so I hope you are working with a good trainer/behaviourlist to try and figure out what is causing it as I doubt that desexing will be an instant cure.

At 6 mths, and already aggressive , I would not think testosterone is the main cause ...

I don't know much about Chemical castration .. but I doubt it works instantly ?

If you have not already - May I suggest you contact someone to help you with this ... ..and I recommend K9pro- a D O L member and very experienced professional who deals with all sorts of dog problems .Aggression needs to be properly assessed and dealt with responsibly ..and long term.

Removal of a hormone will not change a behaviour which has become a habit ....

Oh..and does the breeder have any comment? have they seen any others in the line with this sort of aggression , or do they have any suggestions for you?

Edited by persephone

I agree that the aggression is probably not hormone based but I agree that preventing the hormones kicking in is probably a good thing as well. The implant works in three weeks and lasts for 12 mths, so it may very well be a good option to allow him to recover from the tick.

So I guess I would suggest talking to a vet about Superlorin and talking to a behaviourist about the aggression- two separate people for two separate problems :)

Maybe the illness from the tick bite is reducing the dog's tolerance towards other dogs?.

I agree with getting expert help in management. It may be that the dog needs to be kept away from other dogs until he is well, but you also need help in learning to manage the aggression.

It just seems odd that he had zero aggression previous to his balls dropping and him starting to lift his leg to pee, yet when these changes manifest he also starts getting aggressive toward other dogs.

Edited by samjohn

Aggression in that age dog is worrying and rarely due to being an entire dog.

yes, if it were one of mine I would be concerned.

I think , samjohn, it would be interesting to speak with the breeder, and ask them when males of those lines matured? Perhaps they mature very early , and now he may need extra training/behaviour modification ...

he had zero aggression previous to his balls dropping

he has not had visible testicles until now?

Edited by persephone

Wouldn't most male Samoyeds have testicles visible by about 8 weeks?

T.

Usually yes.

Samjohn - I would be getting your dog to a qualified trainer asap.

Dog aggression (or aggression of any kind) in a Samoyed is quite rare, even for entire mature males and I would worried there is something else going on here.

I would also be contacting the dogs breeder and letting them know what's going on.

I wouldnt do anything at all until the dog had a very thorough blood test and health test. Aggressions doesnt just pop up unless the dog has a massive testosterone problem (ie his testicles are roughly the size of his head) but after the health test, a very good trainer to properly assess him.

All suggestions duly noted and will be acted upon. Not the descended testicle part though as he had check ups regularly and was always ruled to be developing normally, albeit very large for his age. I must just not have noticed them at first, they seemed to become very prominent all of a sudden.

I'll get him checked out thoroughly as soon as we get back to Sydney.

Was very surprising to see aggression in him as my 3.5 year old intact male Samoyed does not have an aggressive bone in his body and they've been raised in almost exactly the same way/environment.

Just took them for a little stroll and noticed the young one always made sure to mark (raise his leg) everywhere the older dog did.

Many thanks for all the advice.

he could have too much testosterone if he's more well endowed then average. I have seen a few adolescent dogs like that, castration was the best thing for them BUT saying that, I sent that all for very thorough check ups at the vet first.

I would not be rushing to chemical castration... a girlfriend had a labrador who had aggression issues, and was advised to try it. It made him worse!! If he were my pup I would be getting him a full vet check (pain/illness can manifest itself in many ways) and then if he got the all-clear from that, an appointment with an experienced behaviourist.