Stevie My Blind Pup Playing In The Hose

Kirty

Stevie was born blind, so she has no idea she is 'special'. She is bold and confident, but also quite sensible. She rarely crashes into things because she likes to assess new places/situations carefully. She is best mates with my Standard Poodle pup and loves the kids. :)

that was gorgeous to watch.

She certainly is special - gorgeous gsd girl.

Hope you have a lot of happiness and fun with her

Just a question, is it the same for dogs as it is for humans...that when you loose one of your senses the others become more heightened?

I once owned a deaf kitten, a pure white one, but you would never have known, as she did everything like she could hear.

Just got me thinking :)

Lynn

I'm not sure Lynn. I have read that normal visual dogs use their nose for 70% of their navigation, so I think its easy for her to compensate. We see a lot of blind dogs at work and most of them cope extremely well.

Stevie uses her ears a lot at the moment, but she also has the house and yard mapped out very well by scent. :)

Poodle Mum, will try and get some photos of Toby up soon. She is so big now! I gave her a terrible hair cut though which is why I haven't posted any for a while! Lol

I have a JRT who will be 12 next month (we've had him for 11 years). He has Corneal Dystrophy so started with SOME vision which has slowly faded over the years until he is now close to completely blind, if not completely. People are always surprised to find out that he is blind until the kids leave something in his normal path to the dog run and he runs straight into it :o . Even when that happens he is tail-wagging, happy and continues on like nothing has happened - he has recently learnt that my "Uh" means he is about to bump into something and he slows down :laugh: . Interestingly Mac also LOVES to play with the hose and has done since a tiny pup according to his breeder.