Neighbour Has Undesexed Female Dog...

pipsqueak

We've recently moved and have found out that our neighbour has an undesexed female (purebred). There business, no problems, but just wondering how our (desexed) male may react when she comes into season, so I can be prepared and have some strategies in place.

Fence is colourbond, though short in height in some parts - I guess if it becomes an issue, we'll just speak to the neighbours about raising the height of that part of the fence. They seem reasonable, I'm just a worry wart ;)

It would be a blessing if he didn't notice - I think she spends most of her time inside or in the yard on the opposite side of the house, but occasionally visits our side of the fence.

My desexed male (done at about 6 months) has met a couple of bitches in heat and hasn't shown any more interest in them than he has any other dog :shrug: Your mileage may vary of course.

Our "mutt" was desexed at 12-18 months, when we adopted him. I guess it concerns me as he will sometimes try to hump our (desexed) female.

We've recently moved and have found out that our neighbour has an undesexed female (purebred). There business, no problems, but just wondering how our (desexed) male may react when she comes into season, so I can be prepared and have some strategies in place.

I doubt you'll have any problem at all. I have had undesexed female dogs in suburbia for many years, with desexed dogs next door. Never made any difference whether they were in season or not.

Your mileage may vary of course.

That must be the catch phrase for the New Year, I've seen it several times this morning and can't recall seeing it before. LOL.

My boy has had an injection that chemically sterilises him for 12 mths. He didn't really care about the girls being in season, although they harassed him a fair bit :laugh:. Mind you the entire boy that lives with my mum thinks its just a big game and wants to do zoomies with girls that are in season so its really an individual thing.

My neighbours both have male dogs. It never occurred to me to even think about how their dogs may react to my entire bitch being in season. She stays inside but she's allowed out for a run and a play while our entire dog is contained elsewhere on the property.

Edited by Gayle.

I've rescued pound dogs who've come on heat - it's my worst nightmare. Even though all of my dogs are desexed, it caused scraps between 2 of the males and they even wanted to hump the dog (she was a lot bigger than both of them) and she was encouraging them ....

With my 3rd male, he was completely disinterested and did not get scrappy either!

Hopefully that will be your experience.

My desexed male (done at about 6 months) has met a couple of bitches in heat and hasn't shown any more interest in them than he has any other dog :shrug: Your mileage may vary of course.

Our "mutt" was desexed at 12-18 months, when we adopted him. I guess it concerns me as he will sometimes try to hump our (desexed) female.

That humping isn't anything to do with sex, so nothing to do with how he may react around an in season bitch.

Really wouldn't worry about it, but to ease your mind, just ask the neighbours to keep the bitch in the other side of the yard when in season.