Surface Spray

wire

Hi, my dog has been bitten by a spider of sorts, thought it was a huntsman and although not generally poisonous, the vet said if it had recently eaten a more venomous spider, some of that venom would be passed on to him.

His wound is massive. (on his neck)

We have heaps of spiders at the moment and am looking for suggestions in eradicating them.

Can I use normal surface spray? Am concerned for my two dogs if I spray low such as around door entrances and under cupboards/sofas, etc.

Or should I get an exterminating company in to do it more efficiently?

What do you guys do?

Hi, my dog has been bitten by a spider of sorts, thought it was a huntsman and although not generally poisonous, the vet said if it had recently eaten a more venomous spider, some of that venom would be passed on to him.

We have heaps of spiders at the moment and am looking for suggestions in eradicating them.

Can I use normal surface spray? Am concerned for my two dogs if I spray low such as around door entrances and under cupboards/sofas, etc.

What do you guys do?

I would be getting the professionals in.

I have regularly used surface spray on all my outdoor areas including around the dog areas and inside kennels. I really don't know why I bother as it never really works. I haven't learnt my lesson I just keep trying different brands right through from the cheap home brand to the more expensive. Just 2 weeks before Christmas I did my front verandah - de cobbwebbed ect....fast forward 2 weeks and there are spiders and their webs back already. On the can it claims it works for 6 months pfffffffffffft crap!!! I've been thinking about buying the type in the plastic bottles that come in 1 or 2 litres and claim they are "what the professionals use". But they are like 3 times as expensive. I'd be interested to know if anyone has used them, if they indeed work or if I would be again wasting money.

I love surface spray :) Spray outdoors once or twice at the beginning of Summer & that's that for a couple of months or so ... window frames, door surround, eaves , steps, under doors ...

I hate the stuff. Far too toxic to have around me or my dogs, especially anywhere the dogs might lick.

If I am really desperate I use flea/insect bombs in the house and air it really well. Gets rid of fleas and spiders and is less toxic than any of the surface sprays.

although not generally poisonous, the vet said if it had recently eaten a more venomous spider, some of that venom would be passed on to him.

Ok.. this is a reply from my entomologist friend ..who doesn't think it is plausible .

First, the venom from the eaten spider would have to withstand the very powerful protein-digesting (proteolytic) enzymes in the eating spider. (Remember that spiders dissolve their prey before ingesting them. They don't chew.)

Then venoms would somehow have to then pass from digestive tract intact to salivary glands.

Edited by persephone

I won't touch any sprays. I have heaps of spiders around. I kill them when I see them, aside from huntsmen and daddy long legs.

I avoid sprays as well and like Sheridan, I have quite a number of spiders around. I'm afraid the small ones that are wholly or partially black get squished. Huntsmen and DLL's survive. And Money Spiders. In fact, I was sweeping and doing a general clean up around the outside of my home and looked up to see a whole mass of cob webs on the veranda ceiling. Swept a good many of them away but couldn't bring myself to wreck the mass above the front and back doors. They had both caught a good many mosquito's and I thought to myself "good [Daddy Long Legs] spider" ..... so the webs were spared.

On the odd occasion I've been compelled to use spray to get ants. I kept my dog away and after the job seemed to have had the desired effect, I then doused the area with water to wash as much of the spray away as possible.

I don't like the thought of me living surrounded by poison, let alone my dog. It was bad enough that I used to be a smoker and that I am not religious about good eating habits.

Edited by Erny

I don't like the idea of all that chemical spraying either.

But seeing this wound on my dog has made me reconsider things.

Thanks everyone, think I'll surface spray all the eaves and see how many drop dead. Most of the spiders here are nasty looking black ones about the size of a 20 cent piece.

Unfortunately I did kill the huntsman after he was asked repeatedly to leave.

And Persephone, your ento friend is more than likely correct.....silly comment from vet.

Cheers

Do you think it possible that your dog copped a spider bite (this is your Vet's assumption as being the cause of the wound, isn't it .... or is it an established conclusion?) from poking his head into a bush either in the garden or whilst out on a walk?

I expect that spraying of the home is unlikely to prevent that. But I do appreciate your concerns. Got a picture of the wound?

He's a good lookin' fella.!!

That pic doesn't seem to be any sort of spider bite to my eyes ...with all that coat, I would think it would be difficult for a spider to get close enough to the skin... (IMO)

The one or two spider bites I've ever seen didn't look like that,and were on legs/lips .

Did you see the spider on the dog?

Whatever- hope it heals up well, and he grows his lovely coat back soon :)

What do you guys do?

I would be getting the professionals in.

I would not touch the "professionals". I had one guy here recently to do the termite thing - that had to be done - but when he offered to do the other I said no way - never had it done in 30 years! He said maybe he could just throw the white powder around. :eek: I'm like "You've got to be joking?" I noticed a grin on his face then. :laugh:

Talcum powder works well for ants. They don't like walking in it. Bit messy though. I use it under the cat's kibble bowl.

Water works too. Just put the pet bowel in another larger one with a little water in the bottom. They will not navigate over water.

As for surface spray, I do use it, but very sparingly and in out of the way places. The one with the little tube you attach to the nozzle is great. With that you can poke it into small corners and just let loose a dab where the animals could not possibly come in contact with it.

Our Daddy Longlegs are given a bit of leeway too. Redbacks don't last long. I still have to track one down around my kitchen window - he keeps building the web but I don't see him. :laugh: .

Didn't actually see the bite happen but I did know the huntsman was hanging out in our lounge room for about a week. One night Murphy was sprawled out on the couch sleeping then he suddenly bolted up chasing something and tried to get it from under the couch.

My instincts said huntsman ran over him, so wok in hand I spent the next hour trying to coach it to get in so I could get it outside. Spider not cooperating and doing rain dance on the ceiling and walls, dogs jumping around and barking happily, it's 2am by now so I got the spray can.

Next day I noticed the lump so it may be coincidental or not.

They are beautiful dogs, love each other, love us and anyone that they meet. I am sure you all know what I mean :angeldevil:

By the way I use peppermint to keep the rats out of my car.