Breed Suggestions

haffyluv

Hi all, i'm not a very regular poster but looking for some advice from all you knowledgable people :)

I'm starting to search for a new doggie to join out family after we sadly lost our beautiful golden retriever just before new year. We won't be looking at getting one till after our overseas travels in June but I'd like to start looking at breeds and talking to breeders.

So after some breed suggestions if possible…

Must be short haired, and prefer a medium to large breed.

We are a couple in our late twenties with no children but will be looking at having them in the next couple of years so would prefer something that could be child friendly with training.

It would be my OH dog and he runs our aquaculture farm full time and would be taking the dog everywhere with him. Looking for something that loves the water, good with horses, poultry ect. Wouldn't be a pure farm dog, would still live inside :D

We already have a whippet, a cat and a Doberman that visits often. Needs to be loyal and would like something that could be a bit of a guard dog. We are experience dog people and would be taking the puppy to obiendence.

I've been looking into the Weimaraner and German shorthaired pointers so far so if anyone has experience with these any advice would be great :)

Hmm ok thanks, don't have many chooks but they are around most of the time.

Probally a watch dog, something that will help me feel safe when OH isn't home at night but I guess one that would take action in the case that we really needed help… We are fairly rural.

Hi all, i'm not a very regular poster but looking for some advice from all you knowledgable people :)

I'm starting to search for a new doggie to join out family after we sadly lost our beautiful golden retriever just before new year. We won't be looking at getting one till after our overseas travels in June but I'd like to start looking at breeds and talking to breeders.

So after some breed suggestions if possible…

Must be short haired, and prefer a medium to large breed.

We are a couple in our late twenties with no children but will be looking at having them in the next couple of years so would prefer something that could be child friendly with training.

It would be my OH dog and he runs our aquaculture farm full time and would be taking the dog everywhere with him. Looking for something that loves the water, good with horses, poultry ect. Wouldn't be a pure farm dog, would still live inside :D

We already have a whippet, a cat and a Doberman that visits often. Needs to be loyal and would like something that could be a bit of a guard dog. We are experience dog people and would be taking the puppy to obiendence.

I've been looking into the Weimaraner and German shorthaired pointers so far so if anyone has experience with these any advice would be great :)

Pointer.... English, not german! :laugh: My guys tick every single one of your boxes the only issue you might have would be with chooks, if the chooks are penned then it wont matter but I wouldnt trust many if any of the gundogs with birdies :D

Pointers LOVE water all mine swim like fish even the one who originally didnt love water has grown to love it and has learnt to swim rather than drown. ALOT of pointer people are horse people and their pointers are great with their horseys. :thumbsup:

Dalmatians have a short coat but they do shed like there's no tomorrow. Probably a little harder to train than a gundog but you have to look at what they were bred to do. Ziggy was a pretty full on youngster but has matured into a lovely dog and competes successfully in obedience and agility - more about finding the right motivation for them - I use food and tug but it has taken time. He's great with kids, visitors, our cats and foster kittens but gives a fabulous warning bark that scares the living daylights out of most people. I feel very safe when I'm on my own. They tend to be good with horses (traditional carriage dog) and love swimming but of course it does depend on the individual. I wouldn't trust mine with our chooks - however he doesn't take any notice of birds/ducks when we are out and about. My gundog on the other hand.... :eek::laugh:

Gsp are good dogs, my sister had one called badger he was there when she had her 2 kids and was great with them when thy where growing up, they are full of energy and need to be taught recall from a very early stage. ( badger had a thing with running of after birds and rabbits)

But they are lovely dogs and badger was never aggressive with anyone a really sook

Thanks everyone, will have a look into all the suggestions and do lots of research. I love Dobermanns but my parents have one that lives on the farm and I think two might be a bit much. A friend has a Dalmatian so will have a visit with theirs.

Love the look of the pointers… will have to go puppy searching

Edited by haffyluv

My very young children grew up with a curly coat retriever. Again ticks your boxes but I'm not sure about chooks as we didn't have them. But she never even looked at neighbours penned chooks and the dog was in and out of their yard.

Keeping her out of the water may be the problem :laugh:

There are a few gundogs you can trust with chooks, but not weims I'm afraid... unless brought up from a young age but even then I'd not guarantee it. My friend has chickens and my English Setter and her Irish setters are fine with them, but i can't take my weims over there as i am worried her chickens would not live to tell the tale!

i would definitely look at pointers although not sure on the chicken thing.