If Your Dog Didn't Like/trust Your Partner ...

dogfan

Hmm well in my case I've had my partner a loooot longer than I've had my dogs, so if a dog came to us with 'man-fear' I would do heaps of counter-conditioning and training. If they really really couldn't get over it I would have to rehome :cry:

But then I know Mr Weasels is a good egg, so I don't have to look to the dogs for a second opinion :D (but dogs and kids do love him anyways)

My hubby and I have been together for 26+ yrs but before I got serious about him my dogs had to at least accept him, didn't expect them to love him as they were very bonded to their people and aloof with strangers. My gordie immediately loved him - unusual as she was standoffish with strangers and very protective of me, our BC who only liked 3 people on the planet, and use to ignore lesser humans, thought he was the best thing since kibble. Turns out the dogs were right :thumbsup: If they hadn't at least accepted him we would not have kept going out and he knew that as the dogs were not negotiable.

Makes me sick when people who have previously loved their dog and included them as part of their life suddenly shunt the dog outside because their new partner says so. I wouldn't have a partner that asked or told me to do that to my dogs .... not that desperate. Same goes for people once they have a baby and put their dogs outside and no longer have "time for them".

Far too easy for some peoples' preferences, likes, dislikes and so on to be swayed by someone else which leads to an animal's suffering.

I'd ditch the partner :laugh:

The second time I saw my OH, i went to his house to watch movies. His dog greeted me at the door and quite literally threw himself at me.. He covered me in licks and was completely thrilled. OH was standing behind him like this :eek: I asked him what the problem was, and he said that the dog didn't like strange females just showing up at the house, even when he was home. Said dog spent the rest of the day either on my lap licking me to death, or curled up on the couch behind me. He told me that night that he decided I must be ok cos Diesel liked me :laugh: The love affair between Diesel and I still continues three years on, although he's not quite as enthusiastic all the time.

Edited by Bundyburger

Hmm well in my case I've had my partner a loooot longer than I've had my dogs, so if a dog came to us with 'man-fear' I would do heaps of counter-conditioning and training. If they really really couldn't get over it I would have to rehome :cry:

But then I know Mr Weasels is a good egg, so I don't have to look to the dogs for a second opinion :D (but dogs and kids do love him anyways)

This is the same for me....I've been with my hubby much longer than I've had my dogs, so I would have to unfortunately rehome any dog that took a disliking to him if it became a big problem. :(

Having said that, All dogs seem to love him anyway, never seen one ever take a disliking to him....It's so sweet to see how all our dogs get so excited when he comes home from work. It's the same with our horses too, they love him too. :)

I had dogs when i started going out with my now hubby..........The first thing that was important was that they got along. he was the first guy my rather "I hate strangers" dog actually liked and accepted. I really take note of my dogs likes and dislikes. I trust my now-pack's judgement

If my dogs hadn't accepted him, my OH would not be my OH. My girl 'Milou' (now deceased) was the big test. She was friendly but standoffish the first few meetings (just biding her time and making an assessment :laugh: ) but then decided he was ok. Milou and my OH became buddies big time. He was completely sold over to the dogs and simply adores them. Lucky, as if he didn't and if they did not accept him, he would have been out the door! ;)

Guest donatella

Hmmm I was at work till 11pm last night and my flat mate had a couple over quickly before they went out. Apparently while the girls where upstairs getting ready the drunk boyfriend was downstairs playing with my dog. Next thing the girls hear crying and find the dog cowering in the corner, the guy denies doing anything. Yeah right my dog will play toys with anyone, if I see this moron again I will ask for the dog to be put in my room. Some people just can't be trusted.