Benalla Shows

almals

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did not send out numbers either, these were collected by the competitors on the morning of the event. In SA, numbers are not sent out, they are collected along with catalogues from the Secretary's office on the morning of the show, (cutting down on 1 less job to be done) If people sent envelopes, they were merely for acknowlegement of entries.

I think Victorian Clubs should save their secretary's more work and move down this track. It is simple to do and efficient.

I really dislike that SA don't send out their numbers - Vic, ACT and NSW do - love how some NSW/ACT clubs will send out breed breakdowns with entries too! I really wish that more Victorian and SA clubs would offer online entries!

Edited by Silvawilow

Sending exhibit numbers back to the exhibitors is really no hardship! In 99% of cases, the exhibitors send a stamped self addressed envelope, and if they don't, then the Show Sec. has to write one out anyway.

As an exhibitor and a Show Secretary, I want my numbers sent back - as well as the notice of how many in the Group.

Every Show Sec. needs a system in order to make the work easier. There is no "right" system - there is just the "system" that works for you...

What I would also like is for exhibitors to supply CORRECT information on their entry forms, and also entry forms which are trimmed to the CORRECT size! You would have no idea how annoying it is to have 1000 + or - entry forms which vary in size from A4 to tiny!!! Grrr!!!

Being a Show Secretary is hard work - don't forget that - and anything you can do as exhibitors to assist would be very much appreciated...

Off the soapbox!!!

Certainly away from the original post but has now been raised but shouldn't entry forms now be printed in standard paper sizes? Even registration papers have gone to standardised A4 format, so why not entry forms!

Using international standard paper sizes of either A4 or A5 format would allow entry forms to be completed by computer, making the information easier to read. Paper in A4/A5 is readily available over the counter in most supermarkets, Big W, Kmart and Office supplie stores.

Exhibitors would be saved the frustration of trimming to the “correct size” but also show secretaries would be saved the frustration of receiving inconsistent size entry forms.

Standards size entry forms would allow use of D-Ring folders to store entry forms (D-Ring are available in standard print international paper sizes of A4/A5 format).

Alternatively, another vision could be for show secretaries to have computers and accept online entries or better still in an ideal world each state ANKC affiliate office could have a program developed to accept computer online entries and payments on behalf of affiliates, computer checks to ensure memberships are financial, animals are registered in the correct names, etc. State offices can also calculate the correct surcharges and levies they charge and the balance forwarded to the clubs/affiliates. Catalogues can also be produced and results can also be logged so information can be stored till eternity which would be great for club historians and point scores. Financial transactions would also be accountable and the role of show secretaries could be changed forever. Just a vision! that could open debate.

Quite agree with that!!!! A4 would be a pain in the ......!!!!

There is nothing wrong with printing your entry forms by computer - just make sure that they

are the CORRECT size!!!!! How hard is it to trim ONE entry form??? Easier than trimming 700 - 1000!!!!

Looking at over 700 entry forms sitting on my desk I am glad they are not A4

Alternatively, another vision could be for show secretaries to have computers and accept online entries or better still in an ideal world each state ANKC affiliate office could have a program developed to accept computer online entries and payments on behalf of affiliates, computer checks to ensure memberships are financial, animals are registered in the correct names, etc. State offices can also calculate the correct surcharges and levies they charge and the balance forwarded to the clubs/affiliates. Catalogues can also be produced and results can also be logged so information can be stored till eternity which would be great for club historians and point scores. Financial transactions would also be accountable and the role of show secretaries could be changed forever. Just a vision! that could open debate.

And then we can have a few big signs up over the rings that tell you what exhibit number other groups are up to, saves your running back and forth.

And all dogs would scanned as they walk into the ring, as would every exhibitor (so we know they are financial) upon leaving would be scanned in the winning order.

OH and for those who are always late getting to a ring, they could rent a pager that would go off 10-20dogs before there number was to be called - like when you are waiting for your table to be ready when out to dinner.

Certainly away from the original post but has now been raised but shouldn't entry forms now be printed in standard paper sizes? Even registration papers have gone to standardised A4 format, so why not entry forms!

Using international standard paper sizes of either A4 or A5 format would allow entry forms to be completed by computer, making the information easier to read. Paper in A4/A5 is readily available over the counter in most supermarkets, Big W, Kmart and Office supplie stores.

Exhibitors would be saved the frustration of trimming to the “correct size” but also show secretaries would be saved the frustration of receiving inconsistent size entry forms.

Standards size entry forms would allow use of D-Ring folders to store entry forms (D-Ring are available in standard print international paper sizes of A4/A5 format).

Oh Boy I do think our yearly fees are high enough, and how long would clubs have to wait for there payment to go in to the bank .Don't you think there is an enviroment issue's at the moment where paper is concerned. We should be down sizing not up sizing...

Edited by morsha_68

And then we can have a few big signs up over the rings that tell you what exhibit number other groups are up to, saves your running back and forth.

And all dogs would scanned as they walk into the ring, as would every exhibitor (so we know they are financial) upon leaving would be scanned in the winning order.

OH and for those who are always late getting to a ring, they could rent a pager that would go off 10-20dogs before there number was to be called - like when you are waiting for your table to be ready when out to dinner.

LOL

Banking could be undertaken the day after entries close! Or better still into an account similar to PayPal so that the club can have access to the funds almost immediately.

As for size using an A5 size piece of paper would be smaller than using an A4 and then trimming down to size. No wastage. Most printers now accept A5 sheets of paper. Ideally computer generated/online entries would solve the problem of using paper at all. Paperless entries, helping to save the environment.

Edited by wayrod

:laugh:

I think this thread has completly gone OF TOPIC, I thought it was aboutr Benalla shows????????

On Saturday some one was going around collecting donations towards hiring a security guard, either they couldn't get some one (at that short notice??) or the person didn't

do their job as I heard that 3 gazebos were stolen.

Any chance next year you could have slightly larger bins ringside??

Well done to the stewards & tickets writers for doing their job in such hot conditions with the rare breeze you kept everything flowing.

BB

they were collecting on Friday as well. The security guard wasn't going to be onsite all night just doing rounds as far as I know. If people want onsite security then they can expect entry fees to skyrocket. There is only one ground that I show atthat is fully fenced with 8 foot high fences and gates locked. Everywhere else is open to the public.

they were collecting on Friday as well. The security guard wasn't going to be onsite all night just doing rounds as far as I know. If people want onsite security then they can expect entry fees to skyrocket. There is only one ground that I show atthat is fully fenced with 8 foot high fences and gates locked. Everywhere else is open to the public.

Surely the Club could approack the local Scout Group and ask if some of the older scouts and scout leaders would be able to do this over night security? or the local Army Cadets? or approach the local council for sponsorship seeing that the People from the Dog show do spend money in the town, it could be proactive? :shrug:

I heard of a show jacket being stolen and some other stuff seems to have grown legs and magically disappeared too! :mad

What a hide some people have!

I think that the dog show competitors have become a known target with the idle hands group in Benalla. No one has been found for their previous vandalism tours so they keep coming back. No way would I leave a gazebo up there or any other show now.