Does Anyone Here Do Mobile Dog Grooming?

I have never done mobile ,i do salon from home & couldn't bare the thought of doing this job mobile stuck in a little van or trailer.

In the stinking heat wrestling with a dog i am so grateful for my air con ,toilet close by & all the other bits & pieces

Guest Panzer Attack!

I did it, it was awful, much better being in a salon. If it's hot it's boiling, if it's raining your clients all cancel, sometimes you'd rock up to a house and the clients wouldn't be home, it's crappy money really, and we owned the trailer.

Can you groom? Or would you be starting out with no experience? You would have to be prepared to tell people that you have had no training/are self taught. Some customers can be super nasty if they don't get exactly what they want. You also need to be pretty good with people (in my experience). We had cords that attached to the clients' water supply and electricity, but if you don't have that you'll be paying for all your water, which can be exxy.

Just washing dogs would be OK, but it is HARD work and it tires you out.

We found in a lot of cases the people that would call a mobile had the worst condition dogs ever, dogs that would bite, matted to the skin, very skinny, wormy and full of fleas etc. Of course we had some of the most GORGEOUS dogs and people ever too, but it's luck of the draw really.

Didn't enjoy it at all!

Towing the trailer was a pain in the arse. Would be ok in the suburbs I guess but people would lie about their driveways or the state of their road. Not super ideal conditions to work in either - hot or cold and squishy.

Think you end up with the really feral dogs and people.

I had my own business.

I agree with what the others are saying. I regularly had people cancel, but didn't know if it was just the way the lady who had run it organised it all......

Half are dogs where people actually want to be there and see their dog groomed because they think its the better option than a salon (their reasoning not mine), the other half wanted you to come out because they were too lazy to actually take their dog anywhere. Often the comment as I took the dog off the owner was that the dog had not been off the property since the last grooming visit....

I have done and still do both.

Had my own salon then went mobile in a van not trailer when the building I was in was demolished and I couldnt find anything else suitable. I kept my really really good customers and got rid of the shit ones so it was still pretty good. Then I moved out of the area and after nearly 10 yrs spending 3+hrs travelling I gave up and got a salon based job 10mins from home suncontracted. I love the aircon and fact that you dont have to suffer in the heat or cold and rain but it comes at a price. I do heaps more work for half the pay and the area I am now in has many many poorly cared for and even worse behaved dogs. I still do some dogs mobile both local and in the old area one or two weekends a month or when I need some extra money. I am very lucky who I do and only do the nice dogs and owners. I have keys to their places so just txt them and rock up when I want so if the weather sux I dont go and they are fine with that but it takes years to get those sorts of customers.

I work in salon and LOVE it. I agree with what others say, I could never work in mobile too hot/cold squishy.. i like having space and the backup with a difficult dog in the salon at least theres others to assist in certain situations.

Just going off topic- I live in Campbeltown NSW and would love to gain real experience with grooming (not the 2 days of 'training' i was given). Can anyone recommend anyone to talk to? I would be happy to just hang around to learn as I have glandular fever and am as weak as a kitten so couldn't actually DO alllll that much so I don't want to apply for a job.

ETA- If I had the choice between your current job and doing the mobile grooming..... I would be doing the grooming!!

Edited by Jumabaar

Just going off topic- I live in Campbeltown NSW and would love to gain real experience with grooming (not the 2 days of 'training' i was given). Can anyone recommend anyone to talk to? I would be happy to just hang around to learn as I have glandular fever and am as weak as a kitten so couldn't actually DO alllll that much so I don't want to apply for a job.

ETA- If I had the choice between your current job and doing the mobile grooming..... I would be doing the grooming!!

:laugh: Was tha last bit directed at me ;) I'm not even telemarketing any more. It's worse door to door coms only :cry: I've made no sales

Thanks for all the replies :) I'll go see the thing in person but judging by the responses here not sure that it will be a smart choice.

The guy I'd be working for doesn't own a dog- I think that worries me most!

:laugh: Was tha last bit directed at me ;) I'm not even telemarketing any more. It's worse door to door coms only :cry: I've made no sales

Thanks for all the replies :) I'll go see the thing in person but judging by the responses here not sure that it will be a smart choice.

The guy I'd be working for doesn't own a dog- I think that worries me most!

I am sure you will go into it with your eyes open. And I guess my statement really didn't mean much since I would probably do garbage sorting before I did telemarketing.

See what he is like and ask if he has a contract upfront. If he doesn't RUN!!!!

Edited by Jumabaar