Bendigo Man Threatens To Kill Pet Cats If They Wander Into His Yard

Peace_Of_Mind

Good on this guy for drawing attention to the subject, but no, he does not have the right to kill the cats..

He most likely does have that right.

I can't open the original link but in Vic and NSW it is lawful to kill a cat that enters inclosed lands and threatens any other animal. You only need a cage bird, chook pen or similar on your property to be justified in killing a intruding cat.

NSW legislation: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s32.html

You are right. I was thinking that this bloke was in town, not on a farm, etc but if you have aviaries yes, an act like that could, and should, apply.

Souff

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cat is kept inside at night but wanders during the day being a cat...climbing trees and sunbathing..licking her privates and stalking lizards.

I can't stand the thought of cats being kept indoors all day. It's not right.

The difference between a cat being out and about during the day and a dog being out and about is that one poses more of the threat to people than the other.

Edited by HugUrPup

Owned by a Wei, that's pretty strong language! I have also had one of my dogs kill a feral cat, came into my yard during the day and first I knew was the other dogs barking. No, I didn't like it anymore than I suppose Tarope did, certainly didn't take pleasure in it :mad

So how do you assess me - about 20 half wild cats trapped in 4 traps left for me by the Ranger, then I had to dispose of them. OK so I shot them - what was I supposed to do? Do you think I enjoyed it?

Owned by a Wei, that's pretty strong language! I have also had one of my dogs kill a feral cat, came into my yard during the day and first I knew was the other dogs barking. No, I didn't like it anymore than I suppose Tarope did, certainly didn't take pleasure in it :mad

So how do you assess me - about 20 half wild cats trapped in 4 traps left for me by the Ranger, then I had to dispose of them. OK so I shot them - what was I supposed to do? Do you think I enjoyed it?

I am sure you shot them in a humane manner, and I am quite sure you did not enjoy it.

Look at what tarope wrote:

"but two won't be coming back thanks to my dogs. :D "

To me they are conveying delight in the fact that their dogs killed some cats. I stand by my remarks.

I am sure you shot them in a humane manner, and I am quite sure you did not enjoy it.

Look at what tarope wrote:

"but two won't be coming back thanks to my dogs. :D "

To me they are conveying delight in the fact that their dogs killed some cats. I stand by my remarks.

Are you sure she didn't just mean that the dogs had chased the cats off? :confused: Maybe I'm wrong though. Hopefully Tarope can come back and clarify.

This makes not a single lick of sense. You're basing this opinion purely off emotion, nothing else. My two cats are 100% happy and healthy indoors. They have access to an annexe where they can have sunlight and breeze. They are safe from the dozens of cats that roam the streets, they are safe from those who like to do damage to wandering animals, they are safe from cars, dogs, and diseases spread from cat to cat by fighting. They are also not a menace to the local wildlife (including lizards) and neighbours. How do I know this? Because they are inside. You can't possibly imagine what your cat might get up to while it's roaming.

Don't bother trying to justify why you do it, because in all honesty it makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by mr.mister

I have lots of cats and none of them go outside. Cats don't NEED to roam. The problem is that indoor cats are more work - you need to play with them, groom them, clean litter trays, etc. So many people get cats because they are 'easy' and if you let them roam, you just need to feed them.

My cat is kept inside at night but wanders during the day being a cat...climbing trees and sunbathing..licking her privates and stalking lizards.

I agree with your HugUrPup.

My cat passed away in 2008, had her for 16 years, she was an outdoors cat and did all the above. She was always in at night time and in the latter part of her years did spent her time inside, I guess that might have been due to old age.

I had no complaints whatsoever that she was being a nuisance to neighbours, in fact they loved her if she made an appearance on the rare occasion.

I have also had other cats come onto my property and I have no problems with them, they are not a nuisance like other members have stated about spraying and doing their business in my garden at all - have never had any of those problems.

I had a gorgeous little grey kitten about 6 to 7 months old appear in my front garden of our building a few weeks ago who I found out from another neighbour she is new to the neighbourhood - the little sweetie just put a big smile on my face :)