Bendigo Man Threatens To Kill Pet Cats If They Wander Into His Yard

Peace_Of_Mind

Times have changed and cats need to be kept indoors or in runs.

Yes, when we were kids cats were a mostly outside pet, the one you didnt need to worry about until you scraped pusspuss number four of the road and then you got freebie neighbours kitten number five....

Personally I think anyone that lets their cats roam is utterly irresponsible.

My cats aren't bored and don't sit at the doors all day pining to go out. they love their sunny spots, hidey holes and zoomies.

If you can't be bothered putting the work into owning an indoor cat, do the wildlife and poor car drivers a favour and don't get one.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cat is outside during the day and spends most of it asleep in the sun in the garden. He is locked up at night, which is when he would be most likely to get himself into trouble.

A cat locked inside all the time can't have a very good quality of life. It's like keeping a dog in a small backyard for its whole life. I bet that wouldnt be acceptable to a lot of people here.

I find the posts from some almost gloating over "solving" (through undisclosed means) their cat problem really disturbing. I would have thought that people who are members of this forum would also have some care and concern for animals other than dogs, but some obviously don't.

A cat locked inside all the time can't have a very good quality of life.

Being hit by a car, eating something possibly toxic, getting lost, wandering in fear after being scared by other animals/people doesn't sound like a good quality of life to me :confused:. Some people don't understand being a responsible owner isn't about locking your cat inside it's whole life. People have mentioned you can get cat runs/enclosures in your yard to allow them to experience sounds and smells of the outside world. You can also get harnesses for your cat so if you truely want them to wander, take them for a walk as you would a dog.

My sisters cat is quite happy to wander the yard on a long lead and harness then sits at the door meowing when she wants back in.

I had four cats inside 24hrs a day until they all died from old age - 12, 14,15,12 1/2. No snake bites, no fights, dog attacks, MVA's, no sick and twisted humans to kill or injure them.

My furniture was a little scratched and I couldn't leave meat on the bench, but who cares :)

They had a great healthy life. Interestingly we live on 2000 acres and neighbour problems are not an issue.

After picking one of my cats up off the road, I will never let my cats roam again.

I will make sure they have access to a safe outdoor area and have suitable toys and scratch posts at their disposal. In fact my cats don't even try to get out the front door anymore, inside is much more fun for them

Hahaha!! What a crock. Cats and dogs are very different creatures. I gave been rescuing cats for about 8 years now, including strays who have been free to roam as they please, and they ALL love being indoors. As said previously, yes you do actually have to make an effort and not just chuck food out, but its worth it. I can leave my door wide open and the cats don't try to go our. Why? Because they are perfectly happy inside!!

Hahaha!! What a crock. Cats and dogs are very different creatures. I gave been rescuing cats for about 8 years now, including strays who have been free to roam as they please, and they ALL love being indoors. As said previously, yes you do actually have to make an effort and not just chuck food out, but its worth it. I can leave my door wide open and the cats don't try to go our. Why? Because they are perfectly happy inside!!

Totally agree with Kirty - ours even prefer inside to the enclosure and they are all muscley and fit as they have posts and trees to climb - and think nothing of running at speed through the house. Always surprises me when people say their cats try and duck out a door as none of ours do. Met their needs, enrich their environment, give them a healthy diet and a clean litter box and they have a very good quality of life and it is long and healthy. Can't be bothered doing these things - then imo don't bother getting a cat.

My cat is kept inside at night but wanders during the day being a cat...climbing trees and sunbathing..licking her privates and stalking lizards.

I can't stand the thought of cats being kept indoors all day. It's not right.

:eek:

Lizards are protected by law, and can carry parasites dangerous to cats anyway. So I completely fail to see how letting your cat chase them can remotely be equated with caring for them.

Sometimes the things animals, or people, like are not necessarily the best things for them. ;)

Edited by Alyosha

Our council will rent you a trap, what a bloody joke. :mad

Cats come into my yard and poo every where and I can't do a thing, but two won't be coming back thanks to my dogs. :D

Well aren't you clever, maybe you won't be going home sometime due to a road accident?

Wow :eek: what a nasty person,I'd be very careful what you say and I suggest you read the forum rules if you want to stay on DOL. ;) I noticed Troy has deleted some of your comments already.

Cat owners also have a Responsibility just like Dog owners to keep their pets on their own property. Whether I like cats or not is not the issue,I don't like cats using my yard as a toilet maybe you do.

In NSW it is an offence to allow a cat to roam just like a dog so I can trap it and take it to the pound just like a dog. If a cat comes into my yard and my dogs kill it, then it's too bad for the cat. The life expectancy of many cats is 2-3 yrs as most are killed by cars, maybe there is a lesson to be learned here. :)

Another scenario for the roaming cat owners:

I usd to work in a large shelter and had the misfortune to answer the phone one day when people rang in complete distress, having seen a car run over a cat and fail to stop.

I asked them to bring it in. By the time they arrived poor puss was dead, but it had not been an easy passing, crawling away from witnesses and screaming and writhing in agony before dying in their arms while they raced to try and get him help.

Puss was chipped and collared. I had the unenviable task of ringing his owners and telling them. They broke down on the phone, adamant he was in the front garden "He never leaves the yard!" Yet he had been killed several blocks from home...

It was a terrible death, it was a terrible experience for the witnesses, and it was terrible for the clinic staff who had to deal with all that, then return his remains to his devastated owners when they arrived and try and counsell them accordingly.

This sort of thing happens to cats and people all the time.

I'm sure your cat never leaves your yard, just like that cat never did. :rolleyes: Save us from your naive and uncaring attitudes.

Grow up and get responsible. Protect your cats from the dangers of wandering just as you protect your dogs.

Gee there's a lot of people on here who like telling others what to do...thanks in particular for your 2 cents worth Alyosha :rolleyes:

I'll let my cat enjoy his life outside during the day like he should, and all you others can keep trying to convince yourselves that your cats who are kept inside for all their lives are just as happy and fulfilled as mine is. :)

Have you had your cat tested for FIV chubbsie? Thats another lovely thing roaming cats are exposed to. Almost 30% of Victorian cats are now affected. Another lovely way to die for outdoor cats.

20 years ago people used to let their dogs roam too. Because the dogs liked it. Times change. Some people learn from the past and modify their behaviour...

Anyway, I'm going to bed with my 11 poor, suffering, indoor cats (some of whom are curled up on my bed already - poor things!) and I'll sleep soundly knowing they are safe.

Gee there's a lot of people on here who like telling others what to do...thanks in particular for your 2 cents worth Alyosha :rolleyes:

I'll let my cat enjoy his life outside during the day like he should, and all you others can keep trying to convince yourselves that your cats who are kept inside for all their lives are just as happy and fulfilled as mine is. :)

I am with you chubbsie, however I can see both sides of the debate...

Pros and cons

Cats which go outside

Letting a cat control its own movements in and out gives it freedom but lays it open to the dangers of the great outdoors. The main risks are outlined below.

Injury - Road traffic accidents account for many cats' lives every year. If you live in a town or near a busy road then the risks are probably greater. Dogs, other cats and humans are also the cause of cat injuries.

Poisoning - Cats can become poisoned by chemicals used in the garden or by eating poisoned prey

Disease - Contact with other cats (especially fighting) and the environment can lead to infections with, for example, feline immunodeficiency virus, feline leukaemia virus, cat flu or enteritis viruses.

Infestation - Fleas and other parasites can be picked up from prey and the environment.

Loss - Cats can sometimes get shut in garages or are driven away in cars or vans they have climbed into. They may even move in with someone else.

However, there are also many benefits to letting your cat go out:

Rodent control - Cats help to keep the rodent population around your home at bay.

Social contact - Outdoor cats can have social stimulation if they want to interact with other cats in the area.

Regular exercise - Outdoor cats are well exercised through hunting and generally being out and about, and are less likely to become overweight.

Outlet for behavioural needs - less stress for the cat and therefore improved welfare.

Good behaviour - Outdoor cats are less likely to develop behavioural problems such as inappropriate urination in the house, clawing furniture or stalking humans or other household companions. They are less likely to become bored or frustrated.

See I'm one of those who has never looked particularly favourably upon "rodent control"... if I were to ever consider having our kitties outside (which I never will) - I'd be far too concerned that they would ingest a mouse who in turn had ingested some form of bait itself. I can say this because the last cat my family owned we lost in this exact way. Needless to say I won't be entertaining the idea of having outdoor cats again.

To each their own :shrug:

Ditto :shrug:

Not really sure why you quoted that part of my post but anyway....

I just don't understand why ensuring our dogs are safely contained falls under the umbrella of "responsible pet ownership" but we don't extend this to our cats. As someone mentioned previously, part of keeping our pets safe and contained is not strictly for the safety of our pets but for the general public. IMO there's nothing that the "outdoors" can provide that a sheltered outdoor catrun can't in the way of sunshine, fresh air, etc..

I guess we can scream until we're black and blue but until something horrible happens to your pets - people just won't learn (or never will as other threads in the cat subforum have shown :( )

It took witnessing my beautiful burmese bleeding from the nose and bum from being poisoned to send a pretty strong message that perhaps letting him roam freely wasn't a good idea - and we too thought he just stayed around the backyard perimeters...