Would You Take Your Pup To The Vet On A Leash?!

Cavamum

Got my pup at 10 weeks, carried her into the clinic at 12 weeks and as I had to pop her on the scales, I just left her on the floor. A squirmy 12wk old dally pup does NOT want to be held for any length of time! Nor did I have a crate to contain her. If it were 8 weeks, it would have been different and she probably would have handled being held for 10 minutes.

If I had a smaller breed, I probably would hold my dog, like the maltese/shi tzu owners who were also in there when I went for a check up yesterday.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you're not stupid and take 6 week old pups into town and let them run around in someone's backyard during a parvo epidemic like happened here, then the pups usualy fare pretty well.

You mean in 2010? Is it still as bad as it was then? Is there still a parvo epidemic currently?

But if you're not stupid and take 6 week old pups into town and let them run around in someone's backyard during a parvo epidemic like happened here, then the pups usualy fare pretty well.

You mean in 2010? Is it still as bad as it was then? Is there still a parvo epidemic currently?

No. Nov/Dec 2011.

We're in the Northern rivers and it has been a bad year for ticks and Parvo.

Guess that's why the Vets have been off their game a bit.

But another poster mentioned that Parvo has been bad all over this summer.

Anyway, Parvo lasts for about five years so that's mostly irrelvant.

If I don't know the area then I don't put them on the ground.

Simple.

There are no guarantees but you can still be careful.

Px

We have pups come to puppy classes at the vets (where I teach older classes) - sometimes from 7 or so weeks of age. Vets all over Australia are holding these types of classes every week without incident.

Each to their own but I do put pups on the floor at the vet. I do go in to the vet and check how things are and what is there etc before taking any inside though.

The class I am going to is a vet they apparently disinfect before the class starts.. I trust they do ....

We have pups come to puppy classes at the vets (where I teach older classes) - sometimes from 7 or so weeks of age. Vets all over Australia are holding these types of classes every week without incident.

Each to their own but I do put pups on the floor at the vet. I do go in to the vet and check how things are and what is there etc before taking any inside though.

The class I am going to is a vet they apparently disinfect before the class starts.. I trust they do ....

I wouldn't be going to puppy class at a Vet where they have had a footwash out the front all summer.

No way.

I made this same enquiry on here seven years ago.

The pros have to outway the cons.

This year the cons are in the ascendancy.

I would be asking for a neutral area where no dogs go or have been, or waiting for the next class at another Vet.

Px

Last time i was at my vets with my BT a young couple came in with a litter of amstaff pups for first vaccs carrying them i a plastic laundry basket, she put them on the floor near us, the pups saw my BT and all jumped out to say hello, chaos :laugh:

A few mins later another lady walked in with another litter of amstaffs in a box, the same thing happened.One even came upto her and growled! :eek:

Last time i was at my vets with my BT a young couple came in with a litter of amstaff pups for first vaccs carrying them i a plastic laundry basket, she put them on the floor near us, the pups saw my BT and all jumped out to say hello, chaos :laugh:

A few mins later another lady walked in with another litter of amstaffs in a box, the same thing happened.One even came upto her and growled! :eek:

Well you can't help stupid LOL...

Oh dear, Quinn not only walked into the vet on lead and sat on the floor for her 2nd vac yesterday (at 10 weeks) but she also walked out of my house and across the road to get to the vet (we live over the road from the surgery) ;)

She was also on the floor of a different vet surgery for puppy school tonight along with 8 other puppies.

It's a personal choice I guess, with 2 other dogs myself who go out and about and me working with dogs all day I figure trips to the vet are the least of Quinn's worries and worth the risk. Having said that though I've not had a dog sick with a contagious disease yet so I suppose if I did I may feel differently?

I would like to think a vet would be more hygiene savy than other places?? Well you would think so..

We've been to five different Vets in four different major towns over the last seven years.

Please don't ask.

In the final analysis.

Vet Clinics are not places to hang out at.

They are strictly for sick and injured animals only.

Many call themselves a hospital.

My conclusion, do not take your dog to a Vet unless it is absolutely necessary.

Broken leg, Paralysis tick, snake bite, dog bait certainly.

But Puppy School? Not in a Vet clinic when it can be avoided.

We've been to three puppy schools but never on the floor of a Clinic.

And certainly not during a Parvo outbreak.

I hope this helps.

Px

Both my dogs as pups walked into the veterinary surgery and walked out, too ... and also dashed around the yard in the back during puppy class.

Some people do bring their dogs in crates but at our vet's it's usually cats in crates and dogs on a leash.

I took Bella to the vet today for her 3rd shot, in her crate. When I got there there was a guy with his little puppy that looked about 8 weeks, sitting on the floor on a leash. No way in hell would I take my young puppy on a leash to a place where sick dogs are taken! My breeder actually said "don't let them down on the floor at the vet until fully vaccinated!"

All my unvaccinated puppies are in a crate or carried otherwise the vet comes out to the car.

Cheers Lee

Ours have always been on a leash and carried - sat on our laps and not the clinic chair or floor until fully vaccinated plus 2 weeks. Parvo always has an issue around here when we have had puppies so we also stick our head in and make sure we have the all clear before going in.