Man Fights Off Hunting Dog With Pocket Knife

persephone

LINK

excerpt

A man has killed a pig hunting dog with his pocket knife as it attacked him in southern New South Wales.

The 69-year-old man was walking his jack russell terrier in Junee on Saturday when the staghound attacked them.

Last month five people were injured when two staghound cross dogs attacked them in Wagga Wagga.

The hunting dogs can weigh up to 60 kilograms.

Junee Shire Council general manager Greg Campbell says in both of the recent attacks the dogs have not been registered or microchipped.

"These dogs don't necessarily have a long life and owners find it uneconomic to register them, because they could well get savaged by wild boars out in the forest, which is where they're used," Mr Campbell said.

"Personally I find that particular practice abhorrent. I also believe keeping a dog of that size in a small backyard is not one of the most humane things you can do.

"These dogs don't necessarily have a long life and owners find it uneconomic to register them, because they could well get savaged by wild boars out in the forest, which is where they're used," Mr Campbell said.<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254); "><br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254); ">"Personally I find that particular practice abhorrent. I also believe keeping a dog of that size in a small backyard is not one of the most humane things you can do.

I don't under stand the mentality of that? Is he talking about feral pig control using dogs in bailing and holding then dispatching being inhumane compared to baiting, or trapping, and shooting? or simply not registering dogs being a practice of abhorrence?

"These dogs don't necessarily have a long life and owners find it uneconomic to register them, because they could well get savaged by wild boars out in the forest, which is where they're used," Mr Campbell said.<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254); "><br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254); ">"Personally I find that particular practice abhorrent. I also believe keeping a dog of that size in a small backyard is not one of the most humane things you can do.

I don't under stand the mentality of that? Is he talking about feral pig control using dogs in bailing and holding then dispatching being inhumane compared to baiting, or trapping, and shooting? or simply not registering dogs being a practice of abhorrence?

I think the comment was more in relation to how many dogs get ripped up by pigs, not so much the treatment of the pigs.

so sick of reading news stories of Staghounds attacking people/pets. Most of them have been crossed with bull breeds & used for pig hunting by bogan dropkicks who treat their animals like s#*t & teach their dogs to kill anything that moves. Those guys need to be castrated themselves & be banned from owning any animals. There is truly some sick people out there.

so sick of reading news stories of Staghounds attacking people/pets. Most of them have been crossed with bull breeds & used for pig hunting by bogan dropkicks who treat their animals like s#*t & teach their dogs to kill anything that moves. Those guys need to be castrated themselves & be banned from owning any animals. There is truly some sick people out there.

Agree, these cross breeds are used for an unique australian hunting tradition, called pig sticking ( sticking knifes into pigs when they are caught and held by a mob of hunting dogs).

Whilst i think most of the comments are spot on, many pig hunting dogs up here get on well with other dogs as they run with different dogs regularly. I've had a few come and say hello to my two who and even though they were large intact males all was ok. But i accept that this is probably not the norm.

Though they certainly don't treat the dogs like pets, or care for them in the manner which most of us would. My neighbour has 3 dogs, great friendy dogs, though they're not walked on a lead, kept in a poor state,(fed very well, but not groomed, washed etc..) they crave human attention but rarely get it, then he gets upset when he loses one.. he has all the gear too, chest plates, tracking collars, and genuinely talks about his dogs with love but they just have a different view of dogs than we do. And yep Totally Bogan!

& teach their dogs to kill anything that moves.

the hoons may do this, and consider their dogs very expendable .. and I hate seeing it . That's how I got my Kieran .. he was dumped in the scrub by poachers , as he was too timid (he was 8 weeks old..we found out the story later on thru the grapevine )but anyone who is serious about hunting feral- pest -in plague proportion- pigs needs to have bomb proof , responsive dogs.

They need dogs who are safe around stock and wildlife , as they hunt in areas where permission is required for access, and property owners/managers are not going to grant permission to idiots with uncontrollable dogs.

There are government owned areas near me ..and private properties where firearms are not allowed , so the hunter goes in with dogs and knives . His dogs are healthy, and wear good protection, gps trackers and flashing lights for night time .

Agree, these cross breeds are used for an unique australian hunting tradition, called pig sticking ( sticking knifes into pigs when they are caught and held by a mob of hunting dogs).

That's sickening. I'm not against hunting, as long as the animals are killed quickly, with as little pain as possible.

This is sadistic.

Not all pig-dogs are badly treated nor trained to inflict damage. I have a relative with great bull arabs and stags (and various crosses) and they are very much treasured and cared for. One got injured one day and he ran carrying it to the next property (10kms) through the driving rain and flooded creek (that is why he couldn't drive it to town himself) to get a vet out. They wear protective vests if working. I watched a hunt once and the pig wasn't even bloody at all. The dogs held it and the man walked in and put a bullet behind the ear. But he is not a recreational shooter but a professional and is a dog-lover. They help him make a living but also are spoilt pets.

Hunting like this is not unique to Australia - it is practiced the same way in Europe, south America, the USA, Japan and NZ.

A knife is used to sever the aorta, providing an almost instant death and a surer and safer method than using firearms.

Dogs are not trained to kill or maul anything, carcass damage is unacceptable.

Unfortunately hunting has become a popular sport for so many wankers. They don't want to care for or train their dogs, have no respect for property owners let alone pigs and want to "breed their own line", often from dogs who are pups themselves producing thousands of pups that burden rescue even more. These people tar the entire sport badly, it is a huge problem for the legitimate hunters.

I hope they move onto something that doesn't involve

animals for their next "my penis is larger than yours" ego

boost. Hopefully a sport like marbles.

Hunting like this is not unique to Australia - it is practiced the same way in Europe, south America, the USA, Japan and NZ.

A knife is used to sever the aorta, providing an almost instant death and a surer and safer method than using firearms.

Unfortunately hunting has become a popular sport for so many wankers. They don't want to care for or train their dogs, have no respect for property owners let alone pigs and want to "breed their own line", often from dogs who are pups themselves producing thousands of pups that burden rescue even more. These people tar the entire sport badly, it is a huge problem for the legitimate hunters.

And some pig hunters are going the other way . . . catch, mark, and release. This guy cracks me up. He raises a wild piglet with his litters of dogs . . . and takes down the pig barehanded with the help of one dog.

http://hogwrangler.com/index.htm

And some pig hunters are going the other way . . . catch, mark, and release. This guy cracks me up. He raises a wild piglet with his litters of pups . . . and takes down the pig barehanded with the help of one dog.

http://hogwrangler.com/index.htm

Lol, he seems a ........ Well interesting kind of lad!

If people are catching and releasing they need a good smack in the head. Not only does it defeat the purpose of reducing feral numbers but it makes it so much more dangerous for the next dogs who encounter that pig. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a real cure for these idiots. The game council has started to seize their hunting related property, fine them and name and shame if they are caught and convicted of illegal hunting so hopefully that will make it less attractive for those who don't care.