Larry (formerly Known As Joey)

The day before yesterday I noticed early in the morning that one of my pups hads a loose motion in his run. I thought nothing really of it.

The same day after travelling to training (he comes with the old dogs) I noticed he had vomited in his travelling crate. No problem. Cleaned it up and he seemed his happy self. He only ate a little of his dinner. All three signs of something amiss concerned me so apart from a few hours sleep I stayed up with the pup just in case I felt a dash was necessary to the emergency vet. He slept well, maybe a little distressed but nothing I could put my finger on. He did not have a temperature and was drinking and toiletting OK.

When I woke up yesterday to the sounds of him vomiting he was a different dog. Very lethargic, droopy eyes and laid back ears. I took him outside to toilet and he chased a few birds!!! (gundogs don't you love them, never too sick to chase birds). I checked him over after offering him some cooked chicken which he ignored. I was horrified to see his eyes had turned yellow and his tummy had a yellow hue.

We raced to the vet as he was obviously suffering from jaundice. Blood tests have been performed and the results have shown liver damage and kidney failure. He deteriorated through the day. The FBE and ESR results are normal.

The final diagnosis is expected tomorrow morning. He finally is drinking a little and is passing urine (2 hours ago). He is taking a little more interest in his surroundings but is still critical.

The signs suggest:

Leptospirosis!!!!!!!!!!

or hemolytic anemia

or some other biliary cause (toxin/infection).

There have been dozens of times I have visited the vets with my labs over the years for treatment even with the most mundane insignificant problem and walked away from the vets thinking I am a definite worrier.

I cannot believe how quick this puppy has gone down hill. Today I have been bleaching all hard areas. His litter brothers remain well. They have been allowed to do anything they damm well like today.

Edited: Sorry spelling.

Edited by Lablover

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear all this............has the vet given any prognosis as to his recovery???

Just a question...........what is Leptosporosis?

Trying to dredge up from my memory..........can it be caught from eating rodent droppings?

I hope he will recover!

:rainbowbridge::rainbowbridge::eek:

:rainbowbridge: Hope he's OK.

years ago m y old Mitchell(adult) was fine one day..asked to go out (to vomit) that night, & was in hospital on drips etc next day with hepatitis! he was in hosp a couple of days..can't remember the treatment, but he did fully recover.Best of luck to your puppy. :rainbowbridge:

The results from the first titere level are expected soon. I have been waiting by the telephone all day.

The pup remains critical. No better but no worse. He started peeing again yesterday afternoon. Strange that hearing he resumed peeing made me so very happy.

I could not care if he peed everywhere for the rest of his life. The stress of waiting is hurting beyond words. Poor little fella.

Further tests have shown that my puppy is not affected by Canine Leptospirosis.

At least I can stop worrying about that particular disease.

He remains at the vet in a critical condition, but we are all fighting on.

They are now nearly 100% sure he has digested a toxin. It could have been anything!!!! Further tests will hopefully show us something tomorrow.

He is keeping company with new friends. Snake bite victims. Poor darlings.

I am having my lunch so thought I would pass on how the puppy is progressing.

He continues to pee. This morning he went for 2 tiny walks on the grass. His jaundice is 50% compared with the initial day. He remains on the drip. He was offered two small drinks this morning, and so far has not vomited, yipppeeee, (he is being treated with anti nausea medication -Stemetil).

This morning was the first time he has shown short periods of animation.

HE WAGGED HIS TAIL!!!!!!!!!!! ON TWO SEPARATE OCCASIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are not out of the woods yet, but at least he has not regressed.

I am so glad the liver is such a forgiving organ.

My pup has shown further improvement overnight. His colour is slowly improving.

He has not vomited the water offered. He continues to be a little more alert for longer periods of time. He ate a spoon full of food this morning, and has managed to keep it down.

He remains on the drip. Our vets are feeling more confident that my pup may recover. Hopefully the worst is behind us.

Edited by Lablover

I am sorry to report that the expected improvement overnight did not occur.

He has deteriorated a little since yesterday. About 20%.

He vomited again, so is being fasted today.

Further blood/urine results will be in later tonight.

The vets still think it is worthwhile trying to save him.

I am numb, and very upset, as I am starting to worry that we are prolonging his suffering.