Larry (formerly Known As Joey)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey's saga initially occurred (after the diagnosis of Lepto was discounted), due to ingesting a toxin. I have worn out my poor brain cells trying to think of what he may have eaten. As mentioned it could have been anything, an old bone, dead bird etc. He also could have accessed the toxin when loose in paddocks.

His intussusception was a secondary problem, caused from his excessive vomiting. At the worst the vomitus smelt like faeces!!!

He continues to bark despite pain relief and sedation. Great to see him complaining. He is depressed in his pen, but acts nearly normal when allowed toilet time.

He will remain at the vets until he shows that he can keep water (starting food tomorrow), and produces the results.

So far, so good. He is doing better than expected.

I forgot to mention, I was allowed to visit him before making the decision allowing him either to go to rainbow ridge or subject him to the surgery (and possibily prolonging his pain or dying during the surgery).

When I arrived, as he was in a low pen, I sat in front of the door. The staff opened the pen and I gently called his name. Despite his weariness he staggered, with me supporting his weight into my lap.

I like to think he could understand my words and questions, even when I was sobbing so. After about 10 minutes the vet entered the room. I looked up at him and was shocked to see our darling vet was crying too.

So glad he's doing much better! He'll be home before you know it. I do know how it feels though, when they're seriously ill.

My boy died last year (in 2 days) from acute cholangiohepatitis, despite intensive treatment, and we never found the exact underlying cause. So frustrating and heartbreaking.

I am so sorry that I have not been able to post, or reply to Emails and PMs, but I have been away at a retrieving trial. My husband stayed home, to take care of the puppy if he was released before my return.

I have great pleasure to announce that he is doing great.

He is at home, drinking and eating. He is still rather thin as expected but is eating well. He has normal functioning bladder and bowel. His normal colour has returned.

He is acting like a normal 18 week pup. He has a slight infection at the exterior wound site which is resolving.

He is W O N D E R F U L.

His long term prognosis is excellent.

What a heart this little fellow has.

LOL I have to admit while I was away, I was telephoning 3 times per day asking on his progress. I was on the "return" alert just in case he regressed.

I was so happy when I heard he was eating, keeping the food down and (was starjumping) when he finally moved his bowels.

Strange people, us dog lovers, fancy being so excited to hear about one dog, passing stools, LOL.

That is wonderful news...

I have just read the whole thread and only at the end did I realise I had hardly taken a breath...

Isn't it wonderful to know that there are so many people that feel the same way about their animals as we do...

May you enjoy many more happy and healthy years with your little hero...

Cheers

Jodie

So glad to hear that your baby is home & seems to be doing well.

thank goodness you noticed his signs in the beginning & got him off to the vets in time.

One lucky little boy to have such a loving mum.

Hope he continues to improve with each day.

I thought I would add how ex-Joey, now renamed Yoey (Yo) is progressing.

He had his stitches removed yesterday.

He is drinking and eating well (small meals frequently through the day and night ,which necessitates me getting up 4 times per night- but I do care) and emptying well.

He complains about being in his (lounge room) pen, but is acting like any other puppy.

I like to think he knows he is special.

The vet finally gave me the account yesterday. I nearly fell over. I expected to pay 3 times the amount due.

Yo will be having check up liver function tests next Friday.

I will post photos in a day or two.

I know it may seem strange that I took the first photo, bearing in mind my pup is just about to undergo surgery, but I was brought up as a Catholic by European parents, who take photos of loved deceased relatives. As a result when I raced to the vet, to make the decision of whether or not to let him go to rainbow ridge I took some photos, just in case it was going to be the last time I saw my darling, because the decision to send him (whole) for autopsy had already been made.

p32100305zj.th.jpg

Second photo: Today. What long legs he has, LOL.

p40300335ci.th.jpg

Third photo: Today. Shows his devil side, LOL.

p40300405sn.th.jpg

Edited: The third photo unfortunately does not show the gleam in his eyes. Too small. I must learn how to post photos better.

Edited by Lablover