Sbt Shedding

TYLER23

Our 3yo SBT sheds a ridiculous amount of hair year round. It's non-stop and ends up everywhere. He puts our British Shorthair Cat to shame.

He gets a mix of Artemis Dry and raw meaty bones. He's in good health, no visible skin problems, and has a nice soft, shiny, even coat with no bald spots. He scratches every now and again, but no more than any other dog to cause concern.

I brush him daily with a slicker brush and by hand, but despite this he continues to shed.

Is this completely normal, or is there something else going on? Is it worth changing the Artemis to something else, say Canidae?

Edited by TYLER23

My understanding is that it's the hours of daylight which affect animal hair growth/shedding more than the actual temperature so I've always thought this is why a house dog tends to be more likely to shed constantly.

Correct, it's to do with the amount of light in the eye plus the warmth inside dogs receive.

That is why when we clip horses we heavily rug them for warmth and leave lights on in the stable longer to try and make the body believe its getting warmer and more day light is there.

What colour is your staffy ,the white hairs for example shed more than the brindle or solids

aint that the truth! our two whities always seem the clog teh plug hole when I get them ready for a show. Unbelievable teh amount of hair coming off them!

OP: wouldn't worry about it. Just keep on grooming and vacuuming :laugh: