Bench Surfers!

Nic.B

I am getting a roast ready for dinner, our bull arab has her own ideas though :o

Fern is only 12 months old, though is the worst bench surfer I have ever encountered.

Before the stove is turned on Fern is crated as I dont trust her with pots and pans or the stove. It's like having a toddler or child all over again.

I was only away for a moment as the phone rang, everything was raw, came back and well....

Any ideas?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my dogs is a TERRIBLE bench surfer (and general food stealer) to the point where it's not just about the food she takes but also about her safety grabbing hot items and getting in the way in a busy kitchen and stealing food that is bad for dogs.

She is good if I manage it and tell her to stay out of the kitchen however that didn't stop her habit of stealing if someone wasn't around or their back was turned etc or she wasn't told to stay. When I'm training her she wouldn't touch food without my ok even when someone else offers it to her but that doesn't help food stealing when I'm not around...

I finally got on top of it with a remote training collar however, I know people who've also had success with a scat mat. The problem with food stealing is that it's so rewarding for the dog they form a habit of stealing food really quickly and it can be very hard to break without using aversives.

Edited by huski

We have a no dogs in the kitchen rule and baby gates for youngsters or rescues until they learn.

Same, but unfortunately the dogs live in the family room which has a servery type window and breakfast nook with bar stools. While my eldest Cavalier can't get on the bar stool there is spare chair sitting beside them that she can jump onto and then if there is chicken (and only chicken, cooked or raw) she is up on the bar stool with her little face on the bench!! :eek:

I've had to put one of the X-mats I keep on the couch on that chair as a deterrent! She's the only one that does it.

I am getting a roast ready for dinner, our bull arab has her own ideas though :o

Fern is only 12 months old, though is the worst bench surfer I have ever encountered.

Before the stove is turned on Fern is crated as I dont trust her with pots and pans or the stove. It's like having a toddler or child all over again.

I was only away for a moment as the phone rang, everything was raw, came back and well....

Any ideas?

oh dear, so it's takeaway for you tonight is it?

We have a no dogs in the kitchen rule and baby gates for youngsters or rescues until they learn.

Same, but unfortunately the dogs live in the family room which has a servery type window and breakfast nook with bar stools. While my eldest Cavalier can't get on the bar stool there is spare chair sitting beside them that she can jump onto and then if there is chicken (and only chicken, cooked or raw) she is up on the bar stool with her little face on the bench!! :eek:

I've had to put one of the X-mats I keep on the couch on that chair as a deterrent! She's the only one that does it.

I've always said I'm so lucky Daisy has never worked out to use chairs to get onto the table!

She steals a lot more than chicken though :laugh: Rolls of raw pasty, an entire loaf of sourdough bread, a bag of raw chillis, a bag of six lamingtons, fruit, raw vegetables, anything edible really and yes all those things listed are thing she ate in entirety!

Our house is open plan so no where to put up baby gates and I could crate her when we're in the kitchen but she can't be crated 24/7 :laugh:

I've always said I'm so lucky Daisy has never worked out to use chairs to get onto the table!

She steals a lot more than chicken though :laugh: Rolls of raw pasty, an entire loaf of sourdough bread, a bag of raw chillis, a bag of six lamingtons, fruit, raw vegetables, anything edible really and yes all those things listed are thing she ate in entirety!

Our house is open plan so no where to put up baby gates and I could crate her when we're in the kitchen but she can't be crated 24/7 :laugh:

Even a big wide pet gate?

post-27253-0-78450100-1327736736_thumb.jpg

One of my dogs is a TERRIBLE bench surfer (and general food stealer) to the point where it's not just about the food she takes but also about her safety grabbing hot items and getting in the way in a busy kitchen and stealing food that is bad for dogs.

She is good if I manage it and tell her to stay out of the kitchen however that didn't stop her habit of stealing if someone wasn't around or their back was turned etc or she wasn't told to stay. When I'm training her she wouldn't touch food without my ok even when someone else offers it to her but that doesn't help food stealing when I'm not around...

I finally got on top of it with a remote training collar however, I know people who've also had success with a scat mat. The problem with food stealing is that it's so rewarding for the dog they form a habit of stealing food really quickly and it can be very hard to break without using aversives.

Thanks Husky :) I agree stealing food is self rewarding. I am worried about that.

What is a scat mat?

She listens to me, though I only have turn my back for a second and she finds something!

Even a big wide pet gate?

Yep and we're also renting so can't fix anything to the wall, there's also no door way into the kitchen so no where to attach the baby gates to :laugh: And we'd have to fence off the entire island bench as well, which is in the middle of the room.

I'm not looking for a solution though - we have fixed food stealing as I mentioned above, I was just explaining why baby gates etc aren't an option for everyone. It also wouldn't actually stop the dog's desire to steal the food, so the behaviour isn't being altered and I know a dog like Daisy if managed would still steal food at any given opportunity she can find.

Any ideas?

oh dear, so it's takeaway for you tonight is it?

Pretty much, though Fern is well fed :)

Thanks Husky :) I agree stealing food is self rewarding. I am worried about that.

What is a scat mat?

She listens to me, though I only have turn my back for a second and she finds something!

Here you go! http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Scat-Mat.html

http://innotek.com.au/innotek-home/Pet-Proofing

Am sure you can find a few other places that stock them too.

Edited by huski

The big wide baby gate looks great (for our kitchen) and would work well for us.

Fern is crated while I get dinner ready and cook etc, she still gets me on random moments though!

Any ideas on how to source the baby gates?

What is a scat mat?

Here you go! http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Scat-Mat.html

http://innotek.com.au/innotek-home/Pet-Proofing

Am sure you can find a few other places that stock them too.

Thank you :)

I couldn't cook certain things if my cat was inside, especially chicken, she could smell me roasting a chicken from outside and wanted to come in.

Simply close your kitchen door I would think would be the best thing :)

We dont have a kitchen door POM :o I wish we did!

The big wide baby gate looks great (for our kitchen) and would work well for us.

Fern is crated while I get dinner ready and cook etc, she still gets me on random moments though!

Bunnings have them or baby shops.

Bunnings have them or baby shops.

Thank you :)

I am looking online into scat mats & baby gates now :)

Fern the Pern is doing well on the couch and I am left trying to make excuses up re dinner!

When I was a teenager my mum had been cooking a large silverside as we had guests for dinner. She'd taken it out of the pot and put it on the bench in the kitchen to carve and poof it went missing. My OES (who was outside) had apparently opened the screen door, come in, grabbed the boiling hot meat (no bench surfing required at that height), chased it all the way along our wooden verandah (based on skid mark evidence) taking chunks out of it until ever fibre of it was gone. It took all of a minute for her to do it as well. I thought it was a cool feat but mum was not so impressed.

The only problem I have these days is a dog who will bark incessantly at the kitchen bench if a skerrick of food remains on it. We can't defrost or even leave anything to cool on it or the stove. Even popped up toast attracts the same attention. In her mind all human food must be immediately consumed or hidden or she wont be held responsible for what she might do in desperation!

I couldn't cook certain things if my cat was inside, especially chicken, she could smell me roasting a chicken from outside and wanted to come in.

Simply close your kitchen door I would think would be the best thing :)

We dont have a kitchen door POM :o I wish we did!

Well it seems other members have given you some great ideas/options :) :thumbsup: