Bench Surfers!

Nic.B

I'll never forget when we had our real estate agent over to list our last house. She put her bag on the floor and as I walked back in the room I saw Daisy stick her head in her bag and eat a sandwich she'd put in there for lunch. It was like slow motion. I was horrified :eek: Luckily she was a dog person :laugh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll never forget when we had our real estate agent over to list our last house. She put her bag on the floor and as I walked back in the room I saw Daisy stick her head in her bag and eat a sandwich she'd put in there for lunch. It was like slow motion. I was horrified :eek: Luckily she was a dog person :laugh:

Oh dear :laugh: (re the bag!) I am in the same position, not one of our other dogs bench surf. We have the same rules for every dog. The kitchen and table are out of bounds pretty much.

Fern has other ideas though and is only young.

I am setting up the baby gates shortly and will try to take a pic of Fern behind the gate with her lip pursed!

Swap her for a dachshund, no bench surfing in our house :thumbsup: ....sorry I am not being any help am I.

When I was at uni, one of the professors had a dachshund... the most amazing little dog. She could climb up 5 feet of book shelves to steal a raw egg, jump back down and eat the egg without spilling a drop on the carpet (and she had an undershot jaw!) The professor had a difficult time putting her on a diet... she used to go down rabbit warrens to catch her own dinner. Then, when she was prevented from doing that, she started grazing the beans in the vegetable garden. Eventually, the professor gave up and just let her find (hunt) her own food.

Not exactly bench surfing, but my BCx Rocky INHALED 3/4 of a beautiful cheesecake! It WAS on the coffee tableso lesson learnt!

One of my cats is definately a bench surfer, she eat anything that she can get to. Meat, bread, veggies you name it she'll eat it. She'll also drink/eat from any unattended cup, glass, bowl or plate.

Not to mention the fact she will tear apart and plastic or paper bag, box etc just to check if there is ANY possibility on its contents being edible! .....sigh

OMG we have abnormal dogs :eek:

They know that plates are off limits and that they are not allowed to eat out of each others bowls unless invited to by me. And the two girls are absolute pigs when it comes to food. Any food. Baylee and Dee will come and find me to ask if they can finish off Zephyr's dinner.

One night I had just dished up home made spag bol and the CFA pager went off. We dashed out of the house with two bowls of fresh spag bol on the coffee table. When we got back 4 hours later it was still all there. Not a bit was missing. So we microwaved it and had a late dinner.

My other dogs have always been like this too, plates are a big no-no, as are benches, cups etc etc...this new one? lord its like he is never going to learn, he found a tupperware container with a tiny bit of tupperware in the backpack I've been taking to work...the other day I lost an apple out of my handbag!

ETA...I saved the tupperware (thank god lol)

Now plastic containers are a totally different story. Dee will run off with them and turn them into a sieve in no time at all, by dancing around with them in her mouth, throwing them up and catching them. :rolleyes:

my cats do not jump on tables or benches.. . Oh- I lie ... if I'm outside at night, Mr/W will sit on the draining board and look out the kitchen window ...:). I would be most unhappy if I had cats/dogs who did that ..... food stealing has happened a few times, but not many.(it is usually a cooling cake,or dog's meat left on sink) I can be eating something in the lounge..get up, leave a plate on the arm of a chair/couch ..and it will all still be there when I come back :)

The grey plastic snap traps make a good noise, and won't hurt a dog ...

I never could understand people who have cats that are allowed to walk on kitchen benches!! Com on people!! Seriously EWWW!

No cat I have ever ownedlived with has ever jumped up onto the kitchen bench more than once. Sure the sneaky buggers will try to get some food if left unattended, but I wouldn't leave food out if a cat is in the room anyway, and my cats would never try to get any if I'm in the room. :laugh: .

OMG we have abnormal dogs :eek:

They know that plates are off limits and that they are not allowed to eat out of each others bowls unless invited to by me. And the two girls are absolute pigs when it comes to food. Any food. Baylee and Dee will come and find me to ask if they can finish off Zephyr's dinner.

One night I had just dished up home made spag bol and the CFA pager went off. We dashed out of the house with two bowls of fresh spag bol on the coffee table. When we got back 4 hours later it was still all there. Not a bit was missing. So we microwaved it and had a late dinner.

Mental image of Rotties standing over Spag bol drooling lustily but not actually touching food. :)

Nah, seriously, they are good dogs. :)

My pup is a terrible counter surfer. He has quite strong back legs compared to other breeds I have owned, so despite the fact that he a medium size he manages to nab things shoved right at the back of the bench. On one memorable occasion I had put a cheesecake out on the bench at the back where I thought he wouldn't be able to reach it, so I would remember to take it to work with me. I was changing my shoes in another room and noticed that he hadn't followed me. I came out to find that he had managed to snag the glad wrap in his teeth and was slowly edging the cheesecake toward the edge of the bench.

My pup is a terrible counter surfer. He has quite strong back legs compared to other breeds I have owned, so despite the fact that he a medium size he manages to nab things shoved right at the back of the bench. On one memorable occasion I had put a cheesecake out on the bench at the back where I thought he wouldn't be able to reach it, so I would remember to take it to work with me. I was changing my shoes in another room and noticed that he hadn't followed me. I came out to find that he had managed to snag the glad wrap in his teeth and was slowly edging the cheesecake toward the edge of the bench.

:laugh: Reminds me of when I had a Lhaso Apso, who stayed in the kitchen of my flat when I was at work. The previous day had been my brthday and there was a lovely tablecloth on the kitchen table, with a vase of flowers and about half a birthday cake.

On my return home I found that Khan had been pulling on the table cloth and the cake a vase were both very delicately balanced on the edge of the table ready to tip over at any moment. Lucky my tram wasn't late that day. :)

My other dogs don't steal food, have never benched surfed (not that Cherry could get up there... LOL) but Daisy is just something else entirely! LOL :)

In your first post I knew it had to be Daisy :laugh:

Beagles are the worst aren’t they. Most untrustworthy when you're back is turned.

My other dogs don't steal food, have never benched surfed (not that Cherry could get up there... LOL) but Daisy is just something else entirely! LOL :)

Beagles are the worst aren’t they. Most untrustworthy when you're back is turned.

I know the feeling! None of our other dogs steal or bench surf, it's just the Pern.

Baby gate is going well, we are all just trying to get used to it :) I noticed my Husband hurdling this morning :laugh:

I had a Beagle growing up and I couldn’t believe the lengths she would go to get to food! She was permanently walking around with the flip bin lid on her head because she kept getting in to the bin! She also chewed through my sister’s school bag to get to an Easter egg, and through a tent to get to some chips! God she made us laugh with her antics :rofl:

Akira is a horrible bench surfer - we have mostly fixed the issue by never leaving food on the bench! Every now and then she outsmarts us, but it's not common these days. Halo would like to be a bench surfer, but she has never yet succeeded. I don't think she's sneaky enough to do it.

Fern is jumping over the baby gate :( Its taken her 24 hours or so to check the baby gate out.

What a naughty girl...maybe she needs a scat mat in the door way...or a zappy collar

My Lab can open the walk through baby gates, but after we set him up a couple of times and I slammed the riding crop down on the table behind him he stopped, and just sat and grunted at the gate.

Here is Izzy checking out her dinner while I cook it for her

I am grateful our dogs would not think of doing that :)

Oh.. we use the old firescreenslike this in doorways, too as an excluder. They work well, as I put them so they slope into the room where dog is ..and jumping is made more difficult :)

Fern is jumping over the baby gate :( Its taken her 24 hours or so to check the baby gate out.

What a naughty girl...maybe she needs a scat mat in the door way...or a zappy collar

My Lab can open the walk through baby gates, but after we set him up a couple of times and I slammed the riding crop down on the table behind him he stopped, and just sat and grunted at the gate.

Lol, don't you wonder what goes through their mind when we use scare tactics like that?

Our ACD pup used to peer into our kitchen window if we were preparing a meal and he was outside...a cup of water in his face soon fixed it! :laugh: