Mums Girl "tess" Has Pyo :-(

k9angel

Hi Guys, thought I would update on Tess. Well it's been 12 days since her op and she is still very quiet. :(

She is eating & drinking ok, toileting ok, but still isn't her self.

Last weekend we took her back to the vet on the Sunday as she vomitted a little bit of water. He took her temp etc and also took some bloods which came back good. :shrug:

He seems to think she drank too much and too fast hence the reason she vomitted some back up.

He did say because she is an older girl that it would take longer for her to recover. It hasn't been quiet 2 weeks since her op, maybe we are expecting too much too soon? I don't know. :confused:

How old is she babe?

Ollie dog used to drink a lot and then regurgitate a bit of it.. Turned out he had reflux and this can be attributed to age..

They do take longer to heal as they get older and the full desexing on an older bitch would be a big deal...

Just keep her quiet and stay in touch with the vet.. Take her back until you get some satisfaction if you have to...

Hope she is feeling better soon, poor old girl..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can also depend on the individual dog too. My Poochie had major surgery at 15 1/2 years old and she absolutely bounced back to life -- it was like having a new puppy. The surgeon actually said he'd never seen an old dog spring back after surgery like that before and Poochie's op was the removal of a rock melon sized tumour from her ovaries and complete desexing.

She only got really quiet just before she was PTS at 16 1/2 years as her kidneys failed and she was in pain and stopped eating.

I hope that Tess bounces back soon. She may just be a bit uncomfortable for now. Just give her lots of love!!!

An update on Tess. She is back at the vet. :(

I went down and saw her last night and this morning and she is not getting better. Something else is wrong, I know it. :( she was even growling at us today and that is NOT Tess at all.

She was laying in Mums bedroom and wouldn't budge. I had to put the collar on and gently coax her out, it took a while but we got there. Took her out the back and she just sat down.

Mums friend was there so I loaded her into his car and now we are just waiting for the vet to call. She is going to have to stay there I think. More tests need to be done because there is definately something else going on.

Poor Tess, it is so sad to see her like this. I hope whatever it is, it can be treated.

She seems really sore/stiff, especially around the neck and head. :(

Oh :( Not good news, I'm sorry . :hug:

Ta Pers.

I have spoken to the vet and he seems to think she has a slipped disc in her neck. He's checked all her vitals, (temp, heart, gums etc) and all is well there, but she just wants to lay on her side and not move. She is also in obvious pain when she does try to move, yelping out and crying. :(

He is going to do xrays today and we have to call back at 3pm.

Poor old girl.

When I was there today and she was out the back, the neighbours dogs were barking and her mate Bear, (the shep) was running along the fence barking at them. Tess was bright eyed and had her ears pricked, but she just couldn't get up to walk, letalone run to join in, like she used to. :(

I am also curious to know how it happened...

I know a few months ago, while my brother was out walking her she was jumped on and attacked by an unrestrained dog. One much bigger than her. She did have a little gash at the back of her neck and although I mentioned taking her to the vet and reporting it at the time, they insisted she was fine.

The way they were carrying on when they called though - I half expected her to be ripped to shreds when I arrived, but she seemed ok. A little quiet but ok. I didn't see her much after then, until she fell ill with the pyo. But according to my brother afterwards, ever since she was attacked she was a different dog and didn't want to go for walks anymore. (probably because she was in pain :cry: )There were also a few times that he only had to touch her and she'd start yelping. :(

I am not saying this is the cause because I don't know if it is, I am just trying to get a clearer picture of what's been going on in the lead up to this.

I mentioned it to the vet when I spoke to him and he says, they can slip a disc simply by pulling too hard on the lead when being walked. But Tess never, ever pulls on the lead. :shrug:

It will be interesting to see what the xray shows up. I am keeping everything crossed for her, she's been through enough already. :(:crossfingers:

Poor girl - hope they can find out what is wrong and fix it. Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with her pyo and your right could have to do with the other injury she received. Thinking of you both and very glad she has you to check on her well being.

Oh :( Not good news, I'm sorry . :hug:

Ta Pers.

I have spoken to the vet and he seems to think she has a slipped disc in her neck. He's checked all her vitals, (temp, heart, gums etc) and all is well there, but she just wants to lay on her side and not move. She is also in obvious pain when she does try to move, yelping out and crying. :(

He is going to do xrays today and we have to call back at 3pm.

Poor old girl.

When I was there today and she was out the back, the neighbours dogs were barking and her mate Bear, (the shep) was running along the fence barking at them. Tess was bright eyed and had her ears pricked, but she just couldn't get up to walk, letalone run to join in, like she used to. :(

I am also curious to know how it happened...

I know a few months ago, while my brother was out walking her she was jumped on and attacked by an unrestrained dog. One much bigger than her. She did have a little gash at the back of her neck and although I mentioned taking her to the vet and reporting it at the time, they insisted she was fine.

The way they were carrying on when they called though - I half expected her to be ripped to shreds when I arrived, but she seemed ok. A little quiet but ok. I didn't see her much after then, until she fell ill with the pyo. But according to my brother afterwards, ever since she was attacked she was a different dog and didn't want to go for walks anymore. (probably because she was in pain :cry: )There were also a few times that he only had to touch her and she'd start yelping. :(

I am not saying this is the cause because I don't know if it is, I am just trying to get a clearer picture of what's been going on in the lead up to this.

I mentioned it to the vet when I spoke to him and he says, they can slip a disc simply by pulling too hard on the lead when being walked. But Tess never, ever pulls on the lead. :shrug:

It will be interesting to see what the xray shows up. I am keeping everything crossed for her, she's been through enough already. :(:crossfingers:

My girl also currently has a slipped disc, but hers is in the lower back. We think she may have injured herself while playing with her son. She lost almost complete mobility in her hind legs. We had xrays done and she is now on complete crate rest for 8-12 weeks. She's also having acupuncture treatment and massage therapy. She has improved greatly, but still a way to go. She's only five. :(

Edited by Ellie

Poor girl - hope they can find out what is wrong and fix it. Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with her pyo and your right could have to do with the other injury she received. Thinking of you both and very glad she has you to check on her well being.

Thanks Mags. And same, I hope they can find out something when she is Xrayed today. :crossfingers:

Tess is still at the vet tonight. She was allowed to come home but I had to go to a parent/teacher info night at Jacks school and wasn't able to pick her up in time. :( (They were aware of it, I told them beforehand that I would do my best to pick her up today but wasn't sure I'd make it). And Mum doesn't drive so I will pick her up in the morning.

Her Xray came back ok. No obvious signs of an injury but the vet said those Xrays can miss things sometimes (he said an MRI would of shown more detail).

He went over her today and said she's displaying all the signs of a neck injury. He gave us 2 choices.

1) Bring her home and start her up on some pain meds, if no improvment bring her back for more bloods to be taken. This would be ok if she will let me give her the tablet, but I doubt she will. She was growling at me when I went to check her gums. And not a play growl, she was warning me to leave her be. :(

I told Mum she has to crush them into her dinner but Mum says she won't touch her tucker if any meds are in there. :(

The only other thing I can try is dipping them in peanut butter or hiding them in some sardines or something. It's worth a try if it will bring her some comfort. Anything is.

or

2) Have more bloods taken now.

I was going to go with option 2 but the vet said with his knowledge and experience with these kinds of things, he would go with the first option. So I agreed.

I think it will be a long while before Tess is back to her normal, happy self but I am hopeful she'll get there eventually. :crossfingers:

If she's immobile and cannot be given meds, then my very strong recommendation would be to leave her at the vet. I certainly would be extremely reluctant to be moving a potential spinal injury into and out of a car.

Valium is often very useful in such cases - has she been given any sort of muscle relaxant. With my dog antiflammatories had no impact whatsover.

Admittedly I do feel more at ease when she is at the vet, well at the moment I do. I think Mum does too.

I will be going over there shortly to see her and to ask the vet whether it's really wise to send her home, especially seeing as though the chances are, we are not going to be able to medicate her.

I will show him when I am there - how she growls if I go near her mouth, and see what he says.

If she's immobile and cannot be given meds, then my very strong recommendation would be to leave her at the vet. I certainly would be extremely reluctant to be moving a potential spinal injury into and out of a car.

Valium is often very useful in such cases - has she been given any sort of muscle relaxant. With my dog antiflammatories had no impact whatsover.

She did get up yesterday and can walk. It's just that she is alot slower and obviously in some discomfort when doing so. :(

I will find out what she's had in re: to muscle relaxants when I get there. About to leave now and will update when I am back.

I would be leaving the poor dog in hospital and not moving her around and in and out of cars.

If she needs medicating then she can be injected and not have her head and neck moved around.

Crushing meds into food is risking that she is not going to get the dosage she needs.

I would be leaving the poor dog in hospital and not moving her around and in and out of cars.

If she needs medicating then she can be injected and not have her head and neck moved around.

Crushing meds into food is risking that she is not going to get the dosage she needs.

I would like to leave her there Crisover. I don't like to see any dog suffer letalone one that is part of the family. :( I could actually sleep last night, knowing she was there and not at home. :(

I am only going by what the vet is telling me. I am sure if he felt the need to keep her in, he would and he might yet. I am not sure. At this stage were just taking it a day at a time.

She is having further Xrays today. I have been to see the vet and he showed me yesterday's one aswell as another he took yesterday of a dog with a slipped disc. He showed me the difference.

He also showed me a section on Tess's Xray that he is concerned about.

A couple of the discs up towards her neck/shoulders are not quiet right. They're not slipped, but they appear to be infected. He did same the name of it, I think it was discospondylitis?? will confirm this afternoon. I know it ended in spondylitis.

I asked whether the infection from the pyo had spread and caused it - he said no.

Then it hit me. The dog attack.

He readily agreed that that is the most likely cause. And it explains alot. How she was different after the attack and how she was still sore & stiff at times.

Where she was bitten matches up to the area of her spine that is infected. (around the shoulders or just above the shoulders). It's all fitting in.

Treatment is antibiotics. But different one's to what she was on for the pyo.

I explained to the vet how she won't let me give them to her or how she won't touch her food if they are crushed into it, as he suggested that aswell.

He said she has to have them and for several weeks. He said to try the peanut butter and also the sardines to try and disguise them.

I am going to have to make sure she does get them.

She'd been to the toilet this morning and had a little walk around outside. I didn't get to see her while I was there though. :(

Fingers crossed we get a definate answer this arvo. :crossfingers: