Do You Refer To Yourself As Your Dog's Mum/dad?

RubyStar

Do you refer to yourself as your dog's mum/dad?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Do you refer to yourself as your dog's mum/dad and/or they are your kids?

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't really thought about it either way

between my husband and I we do refer to ourselves as mum/mummy and dad/daddy but still treat them like dogs and don't really say the mum/dad thing to other people. We don't have kids, prefer having just dogs and I'm sure my friends think that I see them as my children. I see them as family yes, but still as my dogs, I don't call them or think of them as children, and I don't call them furkids or furbabies or anything like that. The mother in law does call them their grand-dogs though.

Edited by Lollipup

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but as others have said, only in private (I don't think I could bring myself to call "come to mum" at the beach) although it comes more naturally to refer to my hubby as "daddy" than calling myself "mum" even though that is what I class myself as. We have real kids too - the responsibility is no different except the furry one makes less washing and less dishes. I would class Cooper as a "kid" but species dictates that he doesn't get the same rights as the others (he eats from the floor, we eat from the table; we sleep in beds, he sleeps in a crate, etc). Yes, he is a dog and is treated as such, but we love him as much as the reals (almost - at least he'll snuggle up on the couch :laugh: ). We're a pack here.

Edit - spelling.

Edited by SupaDupa Mini Cooper

Yes doesn't everyone,after all they are our kids. :D

No, not everyone. No way known to man are they my 'kids', 'furkids' or 'furbabies'. They are my dogs.

Kids is who I gave birth too.

Ditto, I have a real beautiful child that I gave birth to! Although I am guilty of referring to the dogs as "puppies".

I am guilty of calling The Hornet my little furry son :o

Just curious in what do the ones who dont call them selves mum/dad what do you call yourself to the dog ?

Like come to george or Joan or just come or what :)I dont say Im her mum but I do call Jazzy my baby :) but I will say She loves her mum but dont actually say Come to mum very much. so a bit of both here :)

I call Brianna my baby and I am 'Mummy' to her and my husband is 'Daddy'. We say that our human children are her brother and sister. :laugh:

It's only very lighthearted though. We tell her that our eclectus parrot Barney is her little green brother and similar things with the other birds, and our rabbits are her brothers and sisters. :laugh:

Just harmless fun. :)

Just curious in what do the ones who dont call them selves mum/dad what do you call yourself to the dog ?

Like come to george or Joan or just come or what :)I dont say Im her mum but I do call Jazzy my baby :) but I will say She loves her mum but dont actually say Come to mum very much. so a bit of both here :)

I don't call myself anything to the dogsconfused.gif Come is the command used.

When I'm talking to the dogs, yes. ie. "Daddy's home!" but to others no :o :laugh:

We're exactly the same here Pheebs!! :o

unfortunately my main friends and family don't have pets so they think i am crazy anyway just for letting them sleep inside at night and being in a twist choosing their food (if only they knew it all!!) My dog group of friends however.....we can share gross stories between us and it's like my double life sometimes hahahahha

I'm a bit of middle-ground here.

I don't ever say things like "Come to Mama" - it's just "Come" (or, more often, 3 whistle pips). I would never refer to myself in the third person like that. I would also never refer to myself as their mum in public! But at home, if I am yabbering away to the dogs of an evening (I live alone), I will sometimes talk to them and say stupid things like "Mama loves you" or "Are you Mama's bestest boy?" etc.

But I absolutely would NEVER refer to them as my kids or furkids - they're dogs!

Totally conversely to the above… They both have a Facebook account (only so that myself and my doggy friends can tag them in photos - they never post or make status updates! LOL), and on there they are listed as my sons :) Oh, and my soon-to-be-ex-husband also has them listed as his sons… and they currently have his/my married surname on Facebook, and I have gone back to my maiden name, and now I'm wondering whether to keep them with his surname or give them mine now! LMAO Oh that's so stupid. I feel foolish writing it :)

I have recently come home from living in Europe for the past 7 years, and I am getting to know my nieces and nephews over here… and one of my nieces was so upset and sad on Christmas Day because I didn't bring "my boys" over for Christmas Lunch… she had been patiently waiting for 3 months for me to introduce her to her cousins - she misunderstood, because the boys are always referred to as "the boys" or "the lads", by everyone in my family, she thought I had two little boys, her cousins :) So instead I pulled out my iPhone and showed her photos of "my boys" and I think she now understands that they're boy dogs, and not boy people :)

I answered no...I have 4 adult children and my dogs are not on the same level as my kids. Don't get me wrong I love my dogs, but not the same love as my human family. I call my dogs my 'friend, mate, best mate,' but never relate to them as my kids. It isn't that I don't think it is right or wrong necessarily to do so, I just don't see them the same as my children. To put it into perspective...if one of children died, my grief for them would not be any where near the same as losing one of my beautiful dogs, and in my 47 years on this planet I have lost a few of my 'best mates, and yes I am sad and I cry and I miss them a lot, but nothing like I would if I lost a child or family member.

I have no problem with people referring to their dogs as their kids, but I don't and never have. It doesn't mean I don't love them, I do, but differently to how I love my kids.

I find it interesting that the reasons for some people not, is because their love for their children is more. That's a no brainer, of course the love for a human child would be out of this world more, and none of us that call our dogs our kids are disputing that. My mum has 3 children and I'm sure she loves us more than her dog :laugh: but she does call her dog her baby and calls her her mum. If/when I ever have human kids, I don't think I'll stop calling myself mum to my dogs. I just see it as a term of endearment, and a bit of lighthearted amusement :)