Lab Paw Question

GSJ

Hi guys, we are looking of getting a Labrador pup. The one we saw was around 4.5-5 weeks old, some parts of the paws were red/pink. Is that a cause for concern? Looking at putting a deposit down and picking it up in a week.

You can see a photo (first photo)

Also, my dad thinks the pups aren't pure bred for some reason. We saw the mother, there is a picture of her there as well. But the father was not available to see (said belonged to a friend). There was another dog there, not sure what breed but it was similar size to a Labrador. Can anyone say from the photos whether they believe they are pure breds?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Edited by GSJ

(OT Hmmmm pups given as valentines day presents- wonder what happens if the couple breaks up??)

Back on topic

There is no way of identifying them as Pure Bred Labradors unless they come with pedigree papers from the ANKC- in this case DogsNSW as this person is in NSW. Labs should have hips and elbows scored and probably a few other tests. The adult in those pictures doesn't look pure to me, but I am a Kelpie person so wait for more experienced Lab people to comment on that.

The pink on the feet is just a lack of pigmentation and no cause for concern.

Hey GSJ welcome to DOL :)

Glad you came here before getting your puppy.

A quick heads up, you cannot post links to the trading post etc on this forum ;) (just before someone gets you into trouble)

Please don't buy this puppy.

Considering the breeder can't spell the breed name and doesn't know that the golden colour in labradors is called 'yellow' not gold.

I don't think they look very pure. The mums head is a bit strange. Plus you can never be sure on what a dog really is unless he comes with Pedigree papers (

Have a look on the DOL puppy listings and find yourself a good breeder. Being a very common breed you shouldn't have any problems getting one from a good breeder.

A good breeder will help pick the right puppy for you and will be able to give advice when you have puppy problems. Also they will test their dogs and not breed from dogs with hereditary diseases. and you will know the pup is pure. It's a one off investment for ongoing support and a healthy happy puppy.

Maybe they are calling them pure bred as the parent, or one of the parents has papers. Notice there is no picture of dad?

Pure bred labs sold with ANKC pedigree papers parent must be hip and elbow scored. No other test are required but many breeder also test for PRA. This testing is why you want to buy a pedigree lab. If you puppy gets hip or elbow dysplacia this is big $ in vet bills, and pain for you dog.

Good luck with finding a great puppy :D

Edited by buddy1

Thank you for the help. Deleted the link. :)

Yep,just want to sure I make the right decision.

The breeder didn't mention anything about hip score. Hmm everywhere I do read recommends buying after 8 weeks, Dad was thinking, if we do decide to get it, leaving the pup for an another week.

Having a look at those breeders, going to be tough finding one in Sydney. Just wondering the listing doesn't include the price, s

Edited by GSJ

If I was you I would go to a registered breeder even tho you will be paying $1000-$1200 for a puppy but the long run you will be buying a well socialized adjusted puppy which has been given the best care since birth. Also ask yourself do you have around $10,000 for a hip replacement if your lab has hip dysplasia down the track, With a registered breeder if your puppy did end up having hip dysplasia the breeder will either help with treatment and possibily a full refund or they will offer you another puppy from another litter.But in saying that 2 of my dogs didn't come from registered breeders, My chihuahua came from a pet shop and my whippet came from a backyard breeder. My chihuahua Rascal has weight problems and has to be on special food to help with his weight he is prone to putting on weight, No matter how much exercise or less food I give him he just packs on the weight. He also had to have his anal glands removed as he had problems even tho I feed him plenty of bones, He also had a bowel infection. This can happen to any dog tho no matter where it came from. Missy my whippet I got from a backyard breeder I don't regret getting her as she is turning out to be a great dog, But in saying that whippets don't really have health problems like labradors do. Will I buy from a pet shop or backyard breeder again No I will not I'll stick with registered breeders from now on.

Please don't buy a pup based on price alone. The pups in that ad looked either badly bred or crossed with something else. If they do not have ANKC registered pedigrees, they can not be guaranteed purebred.

Also consider that many breeders will send pups interstate, you dont need to buy a pup that is within driving distance. Take your time, do your research, ask people in the Lab thread for advice and recommendations.

You get what you pay for. A $200 pup could easily end up costing you $20,000 over a few years if it ends up with health probs. A decent breeder will health test to avoid this.

If you don't want a pedigree pup go to the pound.

Yea I understand, going to have convince Dad that it is worth buying from a registered breeder.

You could direct him to this website, there is a lot of info in here :)

From my personal experience our first husky was from a dodgy backyard breeder (byb)

She cost half the price of a registered dog. BUT she came to us too young.

And we also had some issues from the get go such as inhaling her food with such haste that I had to physically remove objects from her thrat to prevent her from dying.

My thoughts is that there was a lot of competition for food between her siblings, so she had to eat quick or starve.

Also no microchip (additional costs I had to wear)

Who knows if the pups were proberly vaccinated, you hear all kinds of stories where the breeder may only get 2 pups vaccinated (1 male 1 female) and then just photocopy the vaccination certificates to save cash.

Yes Esky cost more, but she was worth it. Vaccinations, wormed at the correct times, a researched and planned litter to minimise potential problems. Heck she was even desexed before I took her home. No extra cost for me there. (Although many breeders don't agree with early desexing) It pays off in the long run

Thank you for the help :)

I was also looking at perhaps a Golden Retriever. I am trying to find the differences between the breed, the only thing I found was GR shed more and somewhat shorter lifespan. Is there anything else? What about temperament compared with a Labrador?

Thanks :), yea i'm reading Labrador and Golden Retriever threads now.

Just wondering if anyone has comments from personal experience, who has spent time with both breeds, regarding their temperament .

Take it from someone who bought a badly bred Lab (we wonder if he is even pure), it's never worth not going to a good reg breeder!

My Lab has severe HD and at 6 months old we thought we would have to put him down, he couldn't walk.

Thanks to a wonderful vet and a lot of work by us he was able to build enough muscle to walk but he will never live to a ripe old age, he's 8 now and he's not good anymore.

He has renal failure, he's going blind and he is not walking very well, we don't think he will make it to the end of the year :cry:

Please go to a good reg breeder who does all the relevant health testing.

Also with both breeds perhaps go to a few local shows and meet breeders and dogs of both breeds.

Edited by Bjelkier

Thanks :), yea i'm reading Labrador and Golden Retriever threads now.

Just wondering if anyone has comments from personal experience, who has spent time with both breeds, regarding their temperament .

I think it would be safe to say that many folk regard the Golden Retriever as being the softer in temperament of the two.

However, within litters there is always variation and a good breeder will aim to match a pup to your family.

I find labs shed more then goldens, I've also been told goldens mature earlier then labs. Both my golden retrievers were fairly easy to train even without the need for food. I got my male when he was 8 weeks old within a week he new sit and was working on drop. Shelley I got at 14 weeks old she took to training easy learnt sit within a week too,drop within couple of days. My whippet Missy on the other hand is stubborn and sometimes won't listen. Golden retrievers do require a brush at least once a week. The labs coat is lower maintaince.