To Report Or Not To Report...

Well, same again - for a while there, I thought she was containing the dog. Zeke and I walked by several times a week with no issue. Then for the last month since getting Maya we haven't been walking since she's not been fully vaccinated, resuming today - and this time the dog no only charged, is raced across a road and bailed us up :mad

Thank god it didn't bite Zeke or Maya. I was torn at what to do - it alternating between a VERY dominant greeting (at least to Zeke) and some barking, lunging and a couple of times snarling behaviour, the hackles and tail up the whole time. The owner was right behind it but she couldn't catch the dog, it circled us for five minutes while she tried to grab it!

Obviously in the absence of not walking she's allowed it a long reign but that's hardly the point. From now on it's walking with a camera capable of taking videos, recording, and off to council - thanks for that tip Shep.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the inaction from people like the OP who have issues with neighbourhood dogs and do not report it to council, that leaves people like me with injured dogs.

You've gotten off lightly from the charging dog, spare a thought for the next person who comes along and they aren't so lucky or they have a reactive dog and things don't go so well for them.

Report it to council and do the rest of the neighbourhood and the unsuspecting a favour.

A few months ago a dog charged across the road at an older owner with his older dog. I was driving up the road at the same time and hit the charging dog. He had a badly broken back leg and some other injuries, sadly I don't think he survived. I still feel terrible even though there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. :(

It's the inaction from people like the OP who have issues with neighbourhood dogs and do not report it to council, that leaves people like me with injured dogs.

Goodness, that is a horrible thing to say.

The cause of the problem is the dog owner. The OP is caught up in a situation not of their choosing that is obviously causing a great deal of distress.

To the OP, my feeling is that it is time to report to the Council now, regardless of how uncomfortable you are that you will be identified. I would also carry a big stick with you so that you can better keep the aggressive dog away from you and your dogs.

Most councils are far more pro-active than german_shep_fan's. In their case, I would have written to the CEO/Mayor and maybe the newspapers to remind them of their liability should an incident happen of which you had previously reported and they had done nothing about.

Goodness, that is a horrible thing to say.

The cause of the problem is the dog owner. The OP is caught up in a situation not of their choosing that is obviously causing a great deal of distress.

To the OP, my feeling is that it is time to report to the Council now, regardless of how uncomfortable you are that you will be identified. I would also carry a big stick with you so that you can better keep the aggressive dog away from you and your dogs.

Most councils are far more pro-active than german_shep_fan's. In their case, I would have written to the CEO/Mayor and maybe the newspapers to remind them of their liability should an incident happen of which you had previously reported and they had done nothing about.

Horrible thing to say, I think not. It's the inactions of some that lead to the injury of others and their animals. Sure the owner is utlimately responible for any injury or fear their dog may cause, however those who do not report roaming and rushing dogs also play a part.

I'm sick of hearing people whinge about roaming dogs, aggressive dogs, dogs that rush, dogs that crap on their front lawn etc, but take months to do anything about it, if they can be bothered at all.

I don't want to start world war 3, and I realise that the owner of charging dog should be more responsible, but couldn't the OP walk the dogs in a different area. I would be fearful of my dogs being hurt by offending charger and don't think it's worth taking the risk.

I don't want to start world war 3, and I realise that the owner of charging dog should be more responsible, but couldn't the OP walk the dogs in a different area. I would be fearful of my dogs being hurt by offending charger and don't think it's worth taking the risk.

OP has already explained that they can either walk this particular block or risk walking a highway!! In all honesty I would report them- but I keep my dogs indoors when I am out.....

OP has already explained that they can either walk this particular block or risk walking a highway!! In all honesty I would report them- but I keep my dogs indoors when I am out.....

Sorry, where does the OP say there is a highway, I must have missed it.

In post 17. http://www.dolforums...ost__p__5716622

In post 17. http://www.dolforums...ost__p__5716622

taa

More than one instance = time to report in my books. EVERYONE knows you can't let dogs roam out of your property. Must be on lead in the street. These are serial offenders - the owner/s I mean.

OP, you have gone above and beyond in the interests of neighborliness. But now it is a safety issue, as you predicted.

I grew up when dogs sat out the front of their places on the footpath. As a child, I was bitten two or three times by unfriendly dogs I was trying hard to avoid eg by crossing the road and trying to act calm. Those days have gone. Long gone.

Recently the local newspaper had a report of a foster carer charged with an offence by Council when her (over friendly) off-lead foster charged another dog at the off-lead park. That is an offence. This is far worse.

OP now that you are taking an anatolian pup you need to report the dogs owners as you can't take known or possible risks with this affecting Maya's long term behaviour. Report them to prevent future conflict or behavioural issues and make your walking experience what it should be - enjoyable :)

Edited by millbrooksprings

I'd probably have a chat to the owners first before taking it to the council. If the owner has seemed apologetic in the past, a friendly "Hey there, your dog seems to get out a bit, my dog's a little intimidated by it and I'm also worried it might get injured by cars etc. Would you mind making sure the gate's locked?" might be enough to stop the problem without starting any tensions.

Even a letter in the mail box might help if you feel the conversation might be difficult to have (non-confrontational too!).

Best of luck!

Perfect!

In todays world people who own dog know the law and this is that they must be behind a fence unless with the owner on lead or in one of those of leash parks for dogs.

I do the right thing by going to the council and registaring my dog. I keep him in the backyard behind a fence that keeps him contained.

I clean up his dropping's in the back yard. If I have to follow the law so should everyone else.

It isn't that hard to do.

So ring the council and tell them your problems. Why should you have to change where you walk because some noncaring owner can't keep their dog behind a fence.

It's not your fault so you are in your rights to ring.

I do get peed at these owner who think they can do what they like. Ring, Ring, Ring, they deserve it.

You've gotten off lightly from the charging dog, spare a thought for the next person who comes along and they aren't so lucky or they have a reactive dog and things don't go so well for them.

Report it to council and do the rest of the neighbourhood and the unsuspecting a favour.

No Pav, it's not me injuring your dog, it's the person who isn't controlling their dog in the first place. That sort of thing upsets me to read, I've offered you moral support on previous threads of yours where you have had this problem :(

If I weren't worried by the small community 'everyone knows everyone' and the fact that my kids might end up teased through the fence, or worse, in retribution, I wouldn't have a problem going straight to council. Can you honestly say if you were in my place you wouldn't worry about that?

If my neighbourhood was not a single block, I would do this. My other option aside from around this block is along the highway. If you saw the way people drive on this highway you'd not want to walk there often.

In any case. Greyt and those who say it's time to report, my feeling is with you. It's time to take this to council as the friendly warning approach has clearly failed. From tomorrow camera comes with me ready to record anything that happens. Council will be contacted the moment I have any evidence.

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

No Pav, it's not me injuring your dog, it's the person who isn't controlling their dog in the first place. That sort of thing upsets me to read, I've offered you moral support on previous threads of yours where you have had this problem :(

If I weren't worried by the small community 'everyone knows everyone' and the fact that my kids might end up teased through the fence, or worse, in retribution, I wouldn't have a problem going straight to council. Can you honestly say if you were in my place you wouldn't worry about that?

If my neighbourhood was not a single block, I would do this. My other option aside from around this block is along the highway. If you saw the way people drive on this highway you'd not want to walk there often.

In any case. Greyt and those who say it's time to report, my feeling is with you. It's time to take this to council as the friendly warning approach has clearly failed. From tomorrow camera comes with me ready to record anything that happens. Council will be contacted the moment I have any evidence.

Make the report tomorrow even without evidence. Tell them what's been going on and see. A lot of Councils will act on a first report without evidence by visiting and speaking to the owners and/or sending a letter warning them of a complaint. If you're lucky that might be enough to get them to behave and you won't even need to take videos. Have the camera at the ready regardless, but you can definitely report it tomorrow without that.

:I had an issue with a loose dog charging me while walking with my dog and I reported it to the council and they sent a warning letter, the dog was out on a second occasion and the owner came out and told me they'd been reported but still did nothing about containing the dog :banghead: Back to the council again.

Chris, report it, I know it's hard living in a small neighbourhood, but your pleaure in walking your dogs shouldn't be spoiled by someone else, what do they say about the minority spoiling it....

Forgive me for sounding nasty, but I think that unless the dog in question is both friendly and well trained and the owner is present I think that dogs have no place being allowed out of a fenced yard at all.

As much as I would love to have my dog in my unfenced front yard with me while I garden or wash the car, I understand that while she's friendly she is also large and doesn't have the best recall - she might frighten someone by running up to them and that would be enough to warrant a council complaint.

If this owner was at all responsible, after their dog had rushed you/your dog/anyone in an aggressive manner even once they'd make sure that gate was closed from then on. If you had reason to yell or feel uncomfortable and she continues to leave the dog unsecured she is demonstrating her ambivalence to the situation. She knows her dog is doing this and probably more people are threatened then just you and she continues to leave the gate open. What's the point in talking to her about it - she KNOWS and is doing nothing. In the meantime, a child might be attacked or someone walking their smaller dog might have their pet injured or killed.

whoah.

I'd just speak to them Chris :)

Tell them that they really need to improve their gate fixture;

explain that you are no longer comfortable and you would like them to do something about the dog.

Councils and bureaucratic mess, inevitably end up just being that.

I don't agree with the neighborhood avenger ethos that you should report it to council for the sake of the community ...

try to sort it person to person.

Edited by lilli

What worries me about reporting is that if a different story gets told to the neighbours (My dog was just coming out to say hi to the walking dogs, and got reported for that!) then somebody who hears eventually decides hey, why don't we teach this person a lesson, and leave their gates open, or tease their dogs, or worse.

I did speak to her again today (Have tried the friendly approach before in the hopes of avoiding council mess) but I wound up more frustrated than anything. Yes, I understand your dog is an abused rescue, yes, I understand you are trying, but you are STILL allowing your unrestrained, dog aggressive dog to charge us. They wanted me to bring my kids around and let them play with the charging dog. While I would actually consider this in a controlled setting with Zeke on his own, who is as close to bombproof as you could ask for, no way is Maya playing with a dog so poorly trained.

Just so frustrated. :banghead: