Peter Harvey Injured In Dog Fight

korbin13

VETERAN newsman Peter Harvey was taken away by ambulance from Sydney's Centennial Park yesterday after finding himself in a dog fight.

Harvey sustained what his journalist daughter Claire Harvey described as a huge wound to the left shin.

She said her father was not sure if it was a dog's tooth or claw that caused the 25cm wound.

"It looks like a deep gouge in his leg," she said.

"He's likely to need plastic surgery and a skin graft, I think."

Harvey, a Nine News veteran, was holding Claire's dog Jake on a lead when the fight broke out among picnic tables near a takeaway kiosk.

Two English bulldogs tried to attack Jake, Claire Harvey said.

The dogs were under the table and had their leashes on but were not attached to anything, she said.

The newsman was treated by a doctor who happened to be nearby.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/peter-harvey-injured-in-a-dog-fight/story-e6frfmyi-1226269200249#ixzz1mAuJfcpC

Glad he is alright. I wonder if it was because the dogs were under the table, feeling confined so to speak?

Guest lavendergirl

Peter is being very charitable saying that he does not want the dogs put down or anything. But of course there are park rules and the dogs should have been properly restrained in the park so at the least the owners will be fined and rightly so.

It depends where this occured in the park as there are both leashed and off-leashed areas within Centennial park, as well as dog-free zones.

http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/activities/dog_walking

That said, it is charitable of him to put it out there he doesn't think they should be put down though. Just glad it wasn't a small child walking said dog that got in the way...

It depends where this occured in the park as there are both leashed and off-leashed areas within Centennial park, as well as dog-free zones.

http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/activities/dog_walking

That said, it is charitable of him to put it out there he doesn't think they should be put down though. Just glad it wasn't a small child walking said dog that got in the way...

If it was a small child would be a totally different outcome.

It may get the rangers off their backsides and start doing something about the unleashed dogs in the park.

The cafe is an on leash area only.

But they were on leash - it's just there wasn't anyone or anything holding the other end!

If I had a dollar for every idiot that thought that the rules/laws/regulations apply to everyone else but not themselves (because they are somehow special),

I would be very rich indeed!

Typical of media, we only get a small snippet to sell the news, not the whole story.

As someone whose close family member owns a 30kg 2yr old male very boisterous pure bred British Bulldog, when it comes to food or game playing that involves objects, especially my small dog if held, the bulldog will jump with very powerful muscular hind legs from a standstill to my shoulder height (a fair jump), more then once he has collected with me nearly knocking me flat on my back and also I have had huge open wounds on arms and leg from massive claws making contact with skin and I am no spring chicken. It is the nature of the breed this is what they were bred to do "bull baiting" jumping up grabbing the bull by the nose or neck and pulling to the ground!

So while I would not want to see these dogs(whatever breed) needlessly punished or worse for doing what comes naturally, definately the owner needs to be directed to the nearest obedience club for instruction in correct management, and need for becoming more vigilent in the open with these dogs.

Peter Harvey was interviewed, and I heard this on the radio yesterday. He was walking his daughter's cattle dog. They walked past a picnic table, under which there were two "English Bulldogs" which rushed out to attack the ACD. Peter was between them and the ACD, and they bit and scratched at his leg to get to his dog.

The area is on leash, his dog was on the leash. The bulldogs were joined together by a leash, but it was not attached to anything else.

He said he had a 15 cm wound in his leg, and some other scratches and bites. He is expecting stitches and plastic surgery.

Very nasty, I hope he recovers well. He said he was expecting to carry the scars for the rest of his life.

I think he is very considerate of the dogs fate considering he was in no way at fault for what happened to him.... hopefully the owner of the dogs has learnt a lesson from this

Well if they haven't learnt a lesson from this then they are not responsible dog owners.

Won't get away lightly second time round (hopefully no 2nd round)