Feel Like Slapping Your Forehead?

Fit for a King

Perhaps they think it makes them more legitimate. I know very little about them, and I care less. Debra Tranter from Animals Australia (Animal Lib) is RIGHT on their case, which signals they are not all sweetness and light

I doubt they are going for ANKC registration, and cobbadog is only another way of spelling labradoodle i think.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a couple of these videos, they have done one for horse owners who don't have a clue as well... which is especially true at present here in the USA whilst horses are being given away or repeatedly dumped. Ah but that's another story.

The oodles are just as popular here, actually probably more popular here than at home (Australia). More popular because it is quite acceptable for "breeders" to have AKC registered puppies but still crossbreed and sell designer dogs :rolleyes: I don't know anything about the Labradoodle as far as ANKC recognition blah blah blah except what some breeders had listed on their websites a few years ago... that the breed will one day be recognised by ANKC because the breeders are taking appropriate steps with so many generations of breeding and health testing and blah blah blah. Maybe they are and if they are doing correct health testing, good on them... but I still don't take an interest in the them. There are, like Jed said, enough breeds that are intelligent and don't shed that are being overlooked. But all too often I have heard over here...

"My Labradoodles go back to the Australian Labradoodles, so they are not a mixed breed... they are really a pure bred"..................... What the :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmmmm funny how the Australian Silky Terrier is AKC registered here in the USA as the "Silky Terrier"... no mention of the correct name........... but the mixed breeders want to use a name like "Australian" Labradoodle because it is a "marketing tool" .... yeah I know that the Labradoodle was meant to have been created in Australia etc... but geez... the Australian Silky Terrier is a recongised ANKC breed and has been for well over 50 years :mad

Perhaps they think it makes them more legitimate. I know very little about them, and I care less. Debra Tranter from Animals Australia (Animal Lib) is RIGHT on their case, which signals they are not all sweetness and light

I doubt they are going for ANKC registration, and cobbadog is only another way of spelling labradoodle i think.

Cobbadog is about the silliest name for a breed. But I recall recently in the canine gazette that there would be no ANKC registration of new breeds made up of 2 different breeds with a mixed breed name and no specific purpose. Which I took to mean designer dogs like the Labradoodle. Is that why the change to Cobbadog? I have spoken to Labradoodle owners who are fully of the idea that shortly the ANKC will have no choice but to make them a registered breed, as they are so many generations along.

Edited by chevorne

Cobbadog is about the silliest name for a breed. But I recall recently in the canine gazette that there would be no ANKC registration of new breeds made up of 2 different breeds with a mixed breed name and no specific purpose. Which I took to mean designer dogs like the Labradoodle. Is that why the change to Cobbadog? I have spoken to Labradoodle owners who are fully of the idea that shortly the ANKC will have no choice but to make them a registered breed, as they are so many generations along.

If that ever happens the ANKC will just become a laughing stock

Donning flamesuit...

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better if the 'Cobbadog' did become ANKC registered? I mean, the sooner that happens, the sooner that these dogs can be bred ethically, correct?

If the ANKC were to register them though, they sure as hell better come up with a better name than 'Cobbadog' :rofl:

Donning flamesuit...

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better if the 'Cobbadog' did become ANKC registered? I mean, the sooner that happens, the sooner that these dogs can be bred ethically, correct?

If the ANKC were to register them though, they sure as hell better come up with a better name than 'Cobbadog' :rofl:

It sounds like something you'd buy at Bakers Delight!

How long does it take for them to recognize a new breed?

A new breed can be recognised in a few generations, there is other criteria also, such as breed clubs and forming a draft standard. Does anyone know the facts?

Its all in the relevent ANKC regulations relating to breed recognition. They are available on the web but here's most of the relevant bits.

10.2 Requirements for the recognition of any breed which is not yet recognised in its

Country of Origin or Development (05/00)

10.2.1 Any new breed or breed of dog “under development” must have a unique

breed name, and is not a combination of recognised breed names or part of a

recognised breed name and it must be pertinent to the purpose of the breed.

(02/08) (Amended 10/09, 6.3.5)

10.2.2 That there be a parent breed club sponsoring the breed.

• The parent club to be an organisation (usually an Incorporated Body)

covering the whole of Australia that has acted as the Stud Book

Register for the breed for a minimum of fifteen [15] years. This

organisation has been keeping records of all dogs bred in the breed

in Australia. Not as some people misunderstand that the breed has

been around for fifteen [15] years. (10/02)

10.2.3 The parent breed club to supply:

• An authenticated copy of the Breed Standard

• General information of the breed, such as additional text expanding

on the breed standard, photographs and diagrams to allow ANKC Ltd

to prepare an appropriate Breed Standard Extension. The importer

shall also provide written approval for the use of this material. (10/06,

6.1.2)

• Details of the history and numbers registered

10.2.4 ANKC Ltd to assess whether the breed is considered sufficiently viable

from the above information, taking into account that:

10.2.4.1 Minimum Number of dogs registered be 500

That at the time of application there must be 500 dogs of the breed

alive and all of the 500 dogs must be entire (none of them to be

neutered). (10/02)

10.2.4.2 Minimum time the breed has been in existence be 15 years.

That there has been a parent club (usually an Incorporated Body)

covering the whole of Australia that has acted as the Stud Book

Register for the breed for a minimum period of fifteen [15] years.

Not that someone has been breeding the breed for fifteen [15]

years. (10/02)

10.2.4.3 Minimum time the breed has been in existence be 15 years.

This means that only those dogs with a 5-generation pedigree will

be eligible for acceptance on to ANKC Ltd register at the time, if

and when, the breed is adopted as an official ANKC Ltd Breed.

The 5-generation pedigree does not apply to the 500 dogs on the

Register. (10/02)

• 4 weeks later...

So, 500 dogs registered with an organization, with a minimum of 15 years in operation with at least 5 generations of dogs from the first cross...?

I can't find anything related to "cobberdogs" apart from commercial pet food- I did find this though- http://www.laa.org.au/- Is this legit...can anyone make up a registry?

According to ANKC, the new breed can not have a combined name...so why are they still calling it a "labradoodle" if they want recognition (anyone know)?

Also, if a breed serves no purpose (as I understand it, they were originally bred for seeing eye dogs for patients who suffered allergies), can they still become a breed?

Does anyone think that they'll eventually become a breed?

It sounds like something you'd buy at Bakers Delight!

I thought the same thing! :)

Okay, found the other website...

but I'm confused-

We are not convinced that it is in a breed or dog's best interest for it to be registered with traditional purebred registries and feel they have failed at ensuring the welfare of the dogs as a priority. It is for this reason we have chosen to use the MDBA foundation registry rather than strive for breed recognition with the ANKC/AKC. At this time we feel the focus is more in line with what is best for the dogs as well as the breed. We feel this is the way of the future. It ensures Cobbadogs can utilise a wider gene pool and use this registry regardless of which country they live in.

They arn't going for ANKC recognition?

Many breeds don't have ANKC recognition. The MDBA is a legitimate registry, just like the many other registries that exist in Australia.

I wonder how many of you fit the Mini Foxie in your logic. What of the Australian Koolie? White Sheps? From my knowledge none of these are ANKC recognised either but they don't seem to come under the same ridicule. Perhaps it is because they aren't as new in their development? Maybe its because the word 'poodle' was never featured in their development?

I must confess that I am not a fan of the name either. It does have a particular comical ring to it but it is a name that I will in time get used to I think, just like I have with others.

I can see the humour in the video but I agree with Megan's initial statements.

Just today at work BREEDER wanted to make appointment for puppy vaccinations " wait for it " 5 x PUGALIER x puppies."

Others listening to my conversation were shaking their heads and I felt like :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edited by Fordogs

but I'm confused-

We are not convinced that it is in a breed or dog's best interest for it to be registered with traditional purebred registries and feel they have failed at ensuring the welfare of the dogs as a priority. It is for this reason we have chosen to use the MDBA foundation registry rather than strive for breed recognition with the ANKC/AKC. At this time we feel the focus is more in line with what is best for the dogs as well as the breed. We feel this is the way of the future. It ensures Cobbadogs can utilise a wider gene pool and use this registry regardless of which country they live in.

That quote from their website is complete rubbish, the real reason they aren't going for ANKC recognition is because they have no hope of getting it.

Donning flamesuit...

That was my thought too, Mr.Mister. Better to come under the auspice and Code of Ethics of an organisation rather than being left out in the cold to do what they want to do with no guidance and no obligations or responsibilities?

but I'm confused-

That quote from their website is complete rubbish, the real reason they aren't going for ANKC recognition is because they have no hope of getting it.

Yep, neither does the Mini Foxie. Absurd isn't it.

but I'm confused-

Yep, neither does the Mini Foxie. Absurd isn't it.

So why is it? What is their reason for not accepting these dogs ("labradoodle")?