Yet Another Suggest A Breed Thread

Paula89

I know that these threads have been done to death, but I'm hoping some of you can suggest some breeds to look at for a friend of mine. She needs some suggestions.

She and her partner have a 18 month old daughter. They rent and have a largeish backyard that is well fenced with concrete under most of the fences(but probably wouldn't be good enough to keep an escape artist in). They would like the dog to be an outside dog. They spend quite a few hours playing in the backyard every day, if the weather is fine.

As far as I am aware, they don't currently do much walking but her partner is happy to start jogging. They're after a medium sized breed (although they are flexible on size) and one that doesn't have a high maintenance coat. She is happy to do a weekly groom or occasional clipping, but not much more than that. They grew up with family dogs but this will be the first dog they have owned as adults, so a breed that isn't difficult to train would be good, especially since she has a toddler to look after at the same time.

I will be showing her this thread, so any suggestions you have would be great :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suggest that if they want the dog to bond with their daughter and not to terrorise her with excitement every time she goes into the back yard, that they give the dog limited access inside - even if that's only in a crate or mat.

Great family dogs need access to their families. They thrive on human attention because they've been specifically bred over a very long time to want to focus on people.

A dog that's going to be content on its own for at least 20 hours a day is hard one to recommend in this situation. :(

They would like the dog to be an outside dog. They spend quite a few hours playing in the backyard every day, if the weather is fine.

Concrete garden ornament. Sorry but "if the weather is fine" the dog will get "quite a few" hours company?

If they're not prepared to have a medium sized dog inside why don't they look at small dogs that could be an inside dog? (Yes I understand rentals can be an issue with inside dogs)

Difficult to make a suggestion, particularly given the age of their daughter.

I would also suggest they consider a smaller dog. It may also be a good idea for them to consider waiting a little longer (e.g. until she is 3 or so?)

I also think it might be worth them thinking through the idea of allowing the dog inside, and using a crate to provide a safe way to manage things.

Beyond all that - what kinds of dogs do they like? Are there a few breeds they currently like the look of? That might give us a bit more to go on. No point suggesting a bichon frise to a family that likes brachy breeds, etc

ETA: I didn't interpret the original post as meaning that if the weather wasn't fine, there would be no contact with the dog. Obviously that would not be a realistic expectation for them to go in with.

Edited by Zug Zug

Thanks for the replies everyone. They wouldn't leave the dog alone all day if it was raining, but I don't think they would realistically be spending several hours outside in the rain. It's not ideal to do so with a toddler, especially in winter.

I would also suggest they consider a smaller dog. It may also be a good idea for them to consider waiting a little longer (e.g. until she is 3 or so?)

I also think it might be worth them thinking through the idea of allowing the dog inside, and using a crate to provide a safe way to manage things.

Beyond all that - what kinds of dogs do they like? Are there a few breeds they currently like the look of? That might give us a bit more to go on. No point suggesting a bichon frise to a family that likes brachy breeds, etc

She has said they would like to get a dog before they have their next child.

I don't know a lot about smaller breeds, I tend to think of them as a little more fragile than the larger ones and therefore don't cope too well with being outside. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

Her partner has said that the dog will be outside only, but I will suggest a crate. They may not have thought of that. I am personally an inside dog person but we don't see eye to eye on that subject.

They tend to go for the working breeds. Their first choices were blue heeler and border collie but I think they have realised that those breeds may not suit their lifestyle. Their current idea is a beagle. Based on their responses to breeds I have suggested, he doesn't like fluffy dogs like spitzes, woolly dogs like poodles or sighthounds.

Ok so since nobody has suggested a breed, I'm guessing the consensus is that nobody can recommend a breed of dog that is happy being an outside dog?

Edited by Paula89

Even dogs that can spend a fair amount of time outside may still need some time indoors;such as if they are afraid of thunder storms or there is a heat wave.Would they let the dog in the laundry or part of the house in these situations.The dog would need things to do and play with or he will get bored and dig up the yard bark or try to escape.

With very young children taking up so much time the owners would need to be sure they can commit to giving the dog time every day for company walks games and training.

It would be a good idea for them to do a fair bit of research into breeds before making any decision Also have a look at this link for more information.

http://animal.discov.../page1.html?q=1

Thanks for the replies everyone. They wouldn't leave the dog alone all day if it was raining, but I don't think they would realistically be spending several hours outside in the rain. It's not ideal to do so with a toddler, especially in winter.

I don't know a lot about smaller breeds, I tend to think of them as a little more fragile than the larger ones and therefore don't cope too well with being outside. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

Her partner has said that the dog will be outside only, but I will suggest a crate. They may not have thought of that. I am personally an inside dog person but we don't see eye to eye on that subject.

They tend to go for the working breeds. Their first choices were blue heeler and border collie but I think they have realised that those breeds may not suit their lifestyle. Their current idea is a beagle. Based on their responses to breeds I have suggested, he doesn't like fluffy dogs like spitzes, woolly dogs like poodles or sighthounds.

Ok so since nobody has suggested a breed, I'm guessing the consensus is that nobody can recommend a breed of dog that is happy being an outside dog?

At the risk of being shot down as my dog is a very happy outside dog, she comes inside sometimes for a short visit so to speak she is a English Springer Spaniel ( field ) so their coat is much shorter than the show springers, still needs a weekly brush and to check for seeds burs ect. Even our first Springer who was a show springer lived happily outside (no we didnt show him). Very lovely gentle dogs, worst they would do is whack the child with their tails that never stops wagging........or maybe knock them over. She is only about 16kgs a male would be a bit bigger. She does like to run around the yard but doesnt dig nor does she bark very much and is very content. She gets walked a couple of times a week, Im sure if I was able to jog she would love it :) There is usually someone home here most the time and the dogs can see into our main living room so they still feel part of the family.

Ps we have my adult son and his gf and their 4mth old choc lab puppy here too at the moment and so far he is fine outside too, though that may change as he gets older and they eventually move to their new home and he is alone more often.

Good luck least they are thinking of finding a specific breed and not just rushing out to the pet store

post-43328-0-86500500-1329562900_thumb.jpg

Easy to train, good with very limited interaction and outside only? A really challenging combination for a family with very young children.

A beagle is not an easy to train dog for many folk. If bored they can be fearsome barkers and escape artists. They can be great family dogs but they need to be part of a family, not viewing life through a back door or a window.

Can't think readily of a WORSE breed for this situation than a BC or an ACD. :(

Having a todler and possibl a baby on the way, I definately wouldn't even consider a working breed such as an ACD. Just because of the tendancy to nip and a lot of medium sized breeds would be a bit boiserous. Maybe adopting a more mature dog who is used to children, like a retired show dog from a breeder? How about an older labrador or golden retriever? I guess it's really hard to recommend any breed with a baby in the future, todler right now, and having to be an outside dog. If it were an inside dog, the first breed that came to my mind was a boston terrier...I met one once, such a sweet, quiet, beautiful dog, and very low grooming maintenance. I'm not at all an expert in this, but good luck with it and please keep us updated :)

I don't think it's the actual being outside that's the problem, as long as there is adequate shelter etc, it's a dog spending a lot of time on its own. As you know, having inside dogs yourself, much of the time they spend with their people is just being around entertaining themselves while we get on with whatever we're doing. An outside dog is just not going to get that time so if people have an outside dog they need to make a big effort to spend as much time as possible doing things with it otherwise the dog is likely to get bored and be destructive, bark for attention, escape, etc to amuse itself. It will also most likely either be super excited when it does get some attention and be difficult to control and get calm around people, or develop other behavioural problems like aggression or anxiety because it's not that bonded to the family and/or doesn't know it's place in the pack.

I don't think there is any particular breed that would be happy amusing itself outside a lot of the time and then fit in nicely as a family pet, at least not without a LOT of work, activities with the dog every single day, not just walking/running (although that too) a "job" for it to do...

At the risk of being shot down as my dog is a very happy outside dog, she comes inside sometimes for a short visit so to speak she is a English Springer Spaniel ( field ) so their coat is much shorter than the show springers, still needs a weekly brush and to check for seeds burs ect. Even our first Springer who was a show springer lived happily outside (no we didnt show him). Very lovely gentle dogs, worst they would do is whack the child with their tails that never stops wagging........or maybe knock them over. She is only about 16kgs a male would be a bit bigger. She does like to run around the yard but doesnt dig nor does she bark very much and is very content. She gets walked a couple of times a week, Im sure if I was able to jog she would love it :) There is usually someone home here most the time and the dogs can see into our main living room so they still feel part of the family.

Ps we have my adult son and his gf and their 4mth old choc lab puppy here too at the moment and so far he is fine outside too, though that may change as he gets older and they eventually move to their new home and he is alone more often.

Good luck least they are thinking of finding a specific breed and not just rushing out to the pet store

Haha yeah I have 3 dogs, I consider 2 of them outside dogs and one inside. The 2 boys are happy for a quick visit inside in the evening but much prefer being outside :)

And I have to agree with the last point, cudos to your friend for doing the research :thumbsup:

A beagle is not an easy to train dog for many folk. If bored they can be fearsome barkers and escape artists

And howlers! :eek:

I think the problem is that the breeds they'e expressed an aesthetic desire for are at odds with what you've told us about their temperament requirements. They might need to comprimise somewhere :)

I have 2 beagles. They don't do "alone without my family" so well. Im not an expert but I can't imagine a beagle living outside and not howling/digging/scratching. They also shed ALOT for short haired dogs. This may be an issue with a rental, even outside.

I dont understand the "outside dog" concept, if people want a dog to be an ouside dog, why bother getting a dog. My family have always considered our dogs part of the family, hence allowed inside or outside as they please.

I think when someone says "my dog is happier outside", it is likely because the dog has not really had much of a choice form early on and is now used to being outside.

I am not trying to be critical, I am looking for genuine answers as to what purpose a dog serves just sitting outside by itslef 23 hours a day.

So, going back to the original post, why do your friends actualy want a dog when the it is not allowed inside and the kid is too young to be outside with it, they are probably better off waiting 4 or 5 years.

I am not trying to be critical, I am looking for genuine answers as to what purpose a dog serves just sitting outside by itslef 23 hours a day.

I don't know. You'd have to ask someone who has an outside dog.

Edited by Paula89

One of mine would be happy as an outside dog, that said he is super laid back and would be happy wherever you put him. He would bark at things if left outside overnight though.

I think a lot of it comes down to individual personalities. My Aussie needs constant company (human or canine) but I have met other Aussies who are fine being alone. Mine are inside because I like their company :)

I would suggest that if they want the dog to bond with their daughter and not to terrorise her with excitement every time she goes into the back yard, that they give the dog limited access inside - even if that's only in a crate or mat.

Great family dogs need access to their families. They thrive on human attention because they've been specifically bred over a very long time to want to focus on people.

A dog that's going to be content on its own for at least 20 hours a day is hard one to recommend in this situation. :(

Well said - I'd suggest a cat if they are not going to allow the dog to be a family dog. I know of and I'm sure we all do, people that can't understand why their dog gets so excited and jumps up, knocks the kids over, digs, etc whenever they go in the yard - those are the dogs that are permanently in the backyard with no access to their family and the house. I've tried to explain to these owners that letting their dogs inside and becoming part of the family will go a long way to ensuring that this behaviour stops. Access to the house doesn't have to be the whole house - a room, a mat, crate etc.

A family dog needs a family - not just a yard.