Yet Another Suggest A Breed Thread

Paula89

Have they checked with the landlord if they can have a dog, and have they discussed what happens when the lease is up and they need to find another dog friendly rental? There are a lot of threads on here about tenants having a lot of problems finding pet friendly rentals so might be worth doing a search and showing your friend those unless their next house will be their own.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont understand the "outside dog" concept, if people want a dog to be an ouside dog, why bother getting a dog. My family have always considered our dogs part of the family, hence allowed inside or outside as they please.

I think when someone says "my dog is happier outside", it is likely because the dog has not really had much of a choice form early on and is now used to being outside.

I am not trying to be critical, I am looking for genuine answers as to what purpose a dog serves just sitting outside by itslef 23 hours a day.

So, going back to the original post, why do your friends actualy want a dog when the it is not allowed inside and the kid is too young to be outside with it, they are probably better off waiting 4 or 5 years.

I guess it is what we are used to, even growing up all our dogs where outside, I dont see how it makes them any less a member of the 'family' if there is quality time spent each day with them.

I can say living in regional NSW most my neighbours dogs are outside as well, there are a couple that bark more than others but for the most part they are pretty good.

To me if a dog isnt 'happy' they would be destructive, bark ect, none of our dogs over the years have ever been like that. Sure, if a dog is left outside with no interaction its going to be miserable.

Having a dog who is outside 24/7 may also lead to that dog doing more barking/howling at all hours :(

A dog who is bored/understimulated will find ways to fix this themselves , too! This will often result in digging/chewing/fence running/barking at movements/sounds next door/barking/chasing birds/possums/cats.

Living in a rental, and having neighbours upset by a noisy dog is not fun :(

Many of the solitary , outside dogs with limited/no training that I know of are not the most stable of creatures...they do suffer from the circumstances , unfortunately.

We have outside only dogs here - but they have plenty of dog company , and a lot of things to do - they are allowed to run and dig and bark ...they come with us in the vehicles...

Good on you for doing your research , :)

I spoke to her. She and her daughter spend about 3 hours playing in the backyard everyday, slightly less in bad weather. She is happy for the dog to come inside while her daughter is napping, which is 2 hours in the middle of the day. Add to that walks and time her partner will spend outside after work and on weekends and it should get about 6 hours of company a day. They are also thinking about getting a second dog at some stage to keep the first one company.

Only one or two of you have actually suggested breeds. I know the situation is what many of you would consider to be less than ideal but surely there has to be a breed that would handle it better than a beagle?

I spoke to her. She and her daughter spend about 3 hours playing in the backyard everyday, slightly less in bad weather. She is happy for the dog to come inside while her daughter is napping, which is 2 hours in the middle of the day. Add to that walks and time her partner will spend outside after work and on weekends and it should get about 6 hours of company a day. They are also thinking about getting a second dog at some stage to keep the first one company.

Only one or two of you have actually suggested breeds. I know the situation is what many of you would consider to be less than ideal but surely there has to be a breed that would handle it better than a beagle?

It is hard to suggest a breed. Any dog can learn to become an escape artist if it gets the opportunity. It's unknown how much exercise they want to do, but whether or not anyone decided to take up jogging won't be of any help to a pup. Only adult dogs should be taken jogging. They want a dog that is easy to train because they have a toddler. It's going to be hard to train any sort of dog not to knock the child over when the child goes outside.

Why will the dog only be allowed in while the child is asleep? It sounds like the lady does want an inside dog and the husband doesn't. Unless they are on the same page with dog ownership, they may have some problems there.

How often are they prepared to walk the dog? What is it they do with their time now now that they are happy to totally give up to spend time in the backyard with a dog instead?

In summer lots of people spend time outside, but in winter, people tend not to spend hours in the backyard. How much less time will they spend outside if there is bad weather? My guess is that they will not want to sit outside at all when the weather is bad.

Thing is that breeds which have been developed to cope better without human company tend to be strong minded individuals which don't much care for having nothing to do so will either create their own fun (aka destroying the garden) or will simply escape and find something better to do.

Sorry I think they need to reconsider and perhaps look at a cat (indoors of course)

IMO, its the dog itself not necessarily the breed that is important.

I think most of us agree that an outside only dog is not what we would consider the ideal situation. However, that is the reality for many dog in australia, plenty of whom seem to have adapted fine and have no behavioural issues. I know dogs of lots of breeds from cavaliers to border collies to saint bernards who are outside only and have never known anything different so live fairly happy and contented lives.

If they have their heart set on a dog and in order to prevent them from going to a pet shop or BYB, I would suggest perhaps an adult rescue dog who is already well trained or a "typical" family dog such as an older labrador, golden retriever, cocker spaniel etc perhaps an ex breeding or show dog who may be used to being kenneled or outside only but also has some training and maturity.

Please remind them though that an under stimulated, untrained young active dog will be a nightmare to live with and possibly very destructive and dangerous to the young child (in terms of knocking them over, jumping on them etc).

I dont understand the "outside dog" concept, if people want a dog to be an ouside dog, why bother getting a dog. My family have always considered our dogs part of the family, hence allowed inside or outside as they please.

I think when someone says "my dog is happier outside", it is likely because the dog has not really had much of a choice form early on and is now used to being outside.

I am not trying to be critical, I am looking for genuine answers as to what purpose a dog serves just sitting outside by itslef 23 hours a day.

So, going back to the original post, why do your friends actualy want a dog when the it is not allowed inside and the kid is too young to be outside with it, they are probably better off waiting 4 or 5 years.

My boy has had plenty of chance to be an inside dog. When we first got him he used to sleep in my room, however would wake me up a few hours late wanting out. So I tried having him in my room, with a bowl of water, but that failed too. When we let him in, he's content for about an hour then just wants to go back out. During the day all 3 of my dogs are outside, they have plenty of toys, and each other. They hardly ever bark, we do spend some time outside with them during the day, and then they get either an off leash run at the beach, or a 1 hour off leash hike. They are all obedience trained and compete in agility so do get mental stimulation also.

Hopefully this helps a bit Paula :) Also I think your friends are putting a lot of time aside, and the compromise of 2 hours a day inside is excellent :D Again, I do suggest a mature dog, not a pup. Have a look here: http://dogzonline.com.au/breeds/dogs.asp

Perhaps an English staffy? My mix breed girl is fantastic with children, however obedience training has contributed to this so she knows to respect children, not to jump, etc. She is content outside during the day however like all staffys, do need a lot of time spent with their humans (however 3 hours spent with it outside, 2 hours inside, PLUS the walk/jog sounds fantastic to me!), and lots of toys outside. I suggest the Kong range, and staffy balls. Anything tough because they can be destructive.

IMO, its the dog itself not necessarily the breed that is important.

I think most of us agree that an outside only dog is not what we would consider the ideal situation. However, that is the reality for many dog in australia, plenty of whom seem to have adapted fine and have no behavioural issues. I know dogs of lots of breeds from cavaliers to border collies to saint bernards who are outside only and have never known anything different so live fairly happy and contented lives.

If they have their heart set on a dog and in order to prevent them from going to a pet shop or BYB, I would suggest perhaps an adult rescue dog who is already well trained or a "typical" family dog such as an older labrador, golden retriever, cocker spaniel etc perhaps an ex breeding or show dog who may be used to being kenneled or outside only but also has some training and maturity.

Please remind them though that an under stimulated, untrained young active dog will be a nightmare to live with and possibly very destructive and dangerous to the young child (in terms of knocking them over, jumping on them etc).

Exactly what I'm trying to get at :thumbsup:

IIf they have their heart set on a dog and in order to prevent them from going to a pet shop or BYB, I would suggest perhaps an adult rescue dog who is already well trained or a "typical" family dog such as an older labrador, golden retriever, cocker spaniel etc perhaps an ex breeding or show dog who may be used to being kenneled or outside only but also has some training and maturity.

IMO, this is very good advice.

Here are some dog breedsI know of that live outside and some of my observations about them (I'm not recommending for or against any particular breed based on this as I don't know enough about the full situations involved, just making observations):

- German Shepherd. I wash one who lives outside. Approx 7 yeas old. She is gentle and quite affectionate with people, pretty anxious and fairly clingy when people are around, doesn't seem to destroy things or escape, but they have 2m colourbond fences surrounding the yard. Barks at passing dogs, not at passing people or cars. Doesnt get the regular brushing she needs so her coat gets matted.

- Husky. I occasionally wash a group of 3 who live outside (together). Fairly indifferent to people, happy enough to be around them but not very interested (in me or their family members). More bonded to each other. Need to be physically moved to you where you want (ie pulled in the direction with the lead rather than responding to voice commands). Youngest one digs in the garden. Again, don't get the brushing they need to get matted.

- Lab. Adopted as an adult to a family with 2 primary school aged girls. Friendly, gets excited when she comes in contact with people, jumps, licks, pees :o, pulls on lead to get to people, though apparently all his is getting better as they train her (over several months, not quickly!). Very sweet girl, raised on a property so used to being outside but also used to hanging around while the people worked outside etc.

- Rotti, cattle dog x great Dane, Aussie Bulldog pup. These

three live together outside with a family with a 6 year old daughter. The 2 older dogs are older than the little girl so were already trained and settled when she was born. The puppy is pretty calm, more interested in the other dogs than people, does get excited and jumps around a bit when patted but being a Bulldog is not all that agile ;) The cattle dog x is an escape artist, finds any gap he can to get out and takes himself and the Rotti off for an adventure around the neighbourhood. The older 2 bark at anyone coming near the house but don't seem to be aggressive.

I can't think of any others at the moment... All of those dogs are perfectly fine health wise etc living outside and none of them have major problems, and all seem fairly content. Obviously the issues they do have are not purely because of being outside so any of those breeds could be suitable I suppose. It does really come down to the effort they put into the dog and how committed they are to dealing with any problem behaviours.

I do agree with the suggestion of getting an older dog that is past the jumpy puppy stage. Any puppy can do

damage to a toddler when jumping up, especially a larger breed and it is hard work to get them not to jump!! My Aussie Shepherd puppy (3 months old) is around 10kgs

and she's getting better at not jumping up but the thing that gets her most excited and jumpy is of course little kids!!

Then they run and yell and she gets more excited and chases and jumps more... It is taking a lot of work and all my attention to catch her before she does it and she's still too quick for me quite often. It has ended in tears! And she has 2 other dogs to keep her company, daily offlead running/playing, training sessions and is inside and with me

whenever I'm home.

Edited by Saxonpup

Thing is that breeds which have been developed to cope better without human company tend to be strong minded individuals which don't much care for having nothing to do so will either create their own fun (aka destroying the garden) or will simply escape and find something better to do.

This. A dog that copes well on it's own is going to be independent, so it will be harder to train. Personally, I'd ask her why she wants it to be an outside dog. Given what she's said above, maybe she is concerned about the dog hurting the baby? Dogs that are truly part of the family are much less likely to hurt a child. It is allot of work balancing the two but if that is too much them they're better off not getting one.

I don't believe that just because a dog lives outside it will be neglected. My parents first dog lived inside, and then when their first child was on the way, Bindi was moved outside so that she would have adjusted by the time the baby arrived. She was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and they never had any problems with her living outside or with toddlers. She was still groomed and cared for, she just simply slept and lived outside. What's the difference between a well cared for dog living outside and getting attention throughout the day and mostly in the afternoon compared to a dog who has access to house and yard, but is at home alone all day whilst their owner is at work?

If the owners spend enough time outside, and care about the dog, then I don't see what the problem would be. Cavaliers are small, placid dogs, and as I said she was great with us when we were toddlers/babies, and growing up. They dog require a little extra care, in regards to their grooming though.

Guest donatella

Growing up as kids we had 2 Weimaraners that lived mostly outside no worries at all. They had each other when we werent home and when we were between 4 of us kids playing outside all the time they had a great life and died at 16.

They did have a big sheltered area, kennels and grass etc.

My parents first dog lived inside, and then when their first child was on the way, Bindi was moved outside

the bolded bit. ;) She was an inside dog FIRST ..and so learnt a lot of calm behaviour , and had attention and lots of constant exposure to human sights/sounds/smells in her puppyhood.

Perhaps an English staffy? My mix breed girl is fantastic with children, however obedience training has contributed to this so she knows to respect children, not to jump, etc. She is content outside during the day however like all staffys, do need a lot of time spent with their humans (however 3 hours spent with it outside, 2 hours inside, PLUS the walk/jog sounds fantastic to me!), and lots of toys outside. I suggest the Kong range, and staffy balls. Anything tough because they can be destructive.

Definitely NOT. A Stafford (no such thing as an "English Staffy") would either eat the house from the outside in or be off over the fence and GONE!

They are people dogs through and through and the 3 hours they spend outside is in nice weather only remember!

Edited by Sandra777

Why do people say 'NOT THIS, NOT THAT', Why don't some remember the simple "It's the dog its self, not the breed".

I have 2 Siberian huskies, ABSOLUTELY amazing with kids.. doesn't mean they all are, just depends how they are brought up.

My Samoyed is also amazing with kids..

The hair can drive some insane, I do believe they need time spent with them everyday.

I have had awesome experiences with these breeds (Samoyed I am new to though).

I have had a kelpie x BC and a Lab, though rescues and i'd not recommend them.