Breed Suggestions Please?

Cougar

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about an Australian Terrier?

Great family dog, happy, lively, affectionate & have personality plus!! They are not really yappy, but do bark to announce visitors & strangers.

Great size, robust, hardy & and they have a low shedding, easy to maintain coat. :)

I find it tricky when people mention the "preferred size" because have they taken the adult weight of the dog into account or just the height?

Some beagles can be quite short and stocky whereas some of the other medium size breeds may be longer and leaner limbed. What sort of build do they want in their dog? Stocky like a beagle or cocker spaniel or more dainty and leggy like say a dalmatian or whippet?

On a personal note, I too (like Bailey's Mum above) sing praises for the Australian Terrier as I love the breed and think they're the perfect addition to any family (1st time owners or not). They're very easy going, as active as you'd like and very loyal and intelligent. Very few health issues to look out for and reasonably easy to look after in regards to coat maintenance and feeding.

Or if they're after something a bit larger, how about a Wire Hair Fox Terrier? I don't know much about breed as I've just fallen in love with them recently. I know they said they didn't like the curly hair look but seriously … who could say no to this cutie? :D

896529254_0373380b1c.jpg

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Or if they're after something a bit larger, how about a Wire Hair Fox Terrier? I don't know much about breed as I've just fallen in love with them recently. I know they said they didn't like the curly hair look but seriously … who could say no to this cutie? :D

At the risk of bringing the wrath of another bunch of breed fanciers down on me.. me.

IN THIS CONTEXT I'd not recommend ANY terrier. The family are looking for a quiet, friendly dog. I've seen way too many noisy, reactive terriers to recommend one IN THIS SITUATION. That goes double for Fox Terriers (Smooth or Wire). Yes, I know there will be a bunch of folk who'll tell me THEIR FT was quiet as a lamb and loved every dog but the odds of getting one that more closely fits the breed standard are good. One of the words used to describe the WHFT breed in the standard is "fearless" and in my experience that's what you're going to get more often than not.

That doesn't mean I hate terriers (although its likely that's how it will be interpreted) but if I wanted the best fit for the requirements specified, a terrier would not be on the list. :shrug:

IN THIS CONTEXT I'd not recommend ANY terrier. The family are looking for a quiet, friendly dog.

I'd agree with you....& it's related to the context. Not to being anti-terrier. Little dogs like Aussie Terriers are a delight, after all.

And it's why I suggested a Cardigan Corgi (or similar). Laid back, friendly, loyal little family dogs, that are also adaptable. Also on the bigger end of small breeds so they've got some robustness, too.

I know less about them but maybe Cheeky's suggestion of a Basenji might also fit that same bill.

Edited by mita

Basenji?

A basenji is not for someone with limited dog experience and especially for someone who's kids are not used to having a dog in the house. There are exceptions, but generally I would never suggest a basenji for someone like this.

Kids who have never had a dog before more than likely will want a dog that will be playful with them, and obedient.

Basenji?

A basenji is not for someone with limited dog experience and especially for someone who's kids are not used to having a dog in the house. There are exceptions, but generally I would never suggest a basenji for someone like this.

Kids who have never had a dog before more than likely will want a dog that will be playful with them, and obedient.

When reading the standard I sure did not get that vibe at all.... good to know.

Basenji?

Which proves, Curly, that I sure know less about the Basenji! Thanks for that.

Basenji?

"Primitive" breed temperaments are very interesting. The Basenji and the Pharoah Hound are quite different to any other dogs I have met. I hear Shibas are similar.

Very feline in some aspects and with a ton of prey drive .. or the ones I know are. Definitely a breed for fanciers only IMO.

I love the look of all 3 of those breeds Telida :D but with my interest in training and sports I will love them from afar and pick more biddable breeds :)

I think in this stuation maybe a Spaniel of some sort may suit if they can handle the hair. Not many short haired breeds that I can think of that would work.

Basenji?

"Primitive" breed temperaments are very interesting. The Basenji and the Pharoah Hound are quite different to any other dogs I have met. I hear Shibas are similar.

Very feline in some aspects and with a ton of prey drive .. or the ones I know are. Definitely a breed for fanciers only IMO.

+1

Primitive" breed temperaments are very interesting. The Basenji and the Pharoah Hound are quite different to any other dogs I have met. I hear Shibas are similar.

+1

Showed one for a friend once Raja... it was "interesting"

Classic case of "you're not the boss of ME"!!!! :rofl:

My brother & his family recently purchased a Havanese puppy. She is an absolute delight. I had never even heard of the breed before. They originated from Cuba apparently. "Lola" is just beautiful.

Lovely nature, great size & she is wonderfully well behavioured around my nieces & nephew who's ages range from 4 to 11. She also plays with their young Ragdoll cat & loves the chickens.

Very lay back little girl, maybe it is just the Cuban way :)

Edited by BC Crazy

My brother & his family recently purchased a Havanese puppy. She is an absolute delight. I had never even heard of the breed before. They originated from Cuba apparently. "Lola" is just beautiful.

Lovely nature, great size & she is wonderfully well behavioured around my nieces & nephew. Very lay back little girl, maybe it is just the Cuban way :)

She's a long hair.... the interested party want a short coat hahah maybe they just purchase a balloon sculptured dog :)

Lovely nature, great size & she is wonderfully well behavioured around my nieces & nephew. Very lay back little girl, maybe it is just the Cuban way :)

She's a long hair.... the interested party want a short coat hahah maybe they just purchase a balloon sculptured dog :)

Oh missed that request TCM , maybe the balloon dog is the go then LOL :laugh:

Right, am back with more info! Will be an inside/outside dog, would prefer a shorter coat and not too curly (there goes the poodle!). Jack russells and chis are too small - they're thinking that a good size is cav or beagle size. Not considering either of those 2 breeds, one is too sedate and the other a bit trickier to own :laugh:

Nothing too big headed or flat faced, and the whippets are too skinny. Does that help? :rofl:

I'm leaning towards a mixed breed rescue pup if I'm honest, and if we can find a suitable one. Will happily take more suggestions though! Thanks heaps for your ideas so far, much appreciated.

They do know that shorter coats are going to shed too, don't they? Common misconception amongst folks, that if they get a short coated dog they won't get dog hair everywhere!