What Is Important For You When Boarding Your Dogs?

OSoSwift

What do you like when it comes to a boarding kennel for your dog  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which things do you consider important when boarding your dog/s?

• Individual play/attention time at least once per day
    • Clam shells for those dogs that like them
    • Exercise by themselves /family group only
    • Exercised with unknown but matched for size etc dogs
    • Boarding with someone experienced with giving medications including injections
    • Fully insulated
    • Air con'd/heated
    • Grass exercise areas
    • artifical turf in part of outside run
    • Solid partition between inside dog runs for privacy
    • Super premium dry food offered as standard
    • Option of raw food if required
    • Close monitoring such as video link up
    • Other :)
    • Trienniel and titre testing accepted

To have heating & air con the building would have to be totally enclosed .

This doesn't meet most councils guidelines for starters & doesn't allow air flow ,quality light all year round.

I owuldn't want my dogs in a enclosed kennel with no natural airflow & evap air cons the heat would be horrific .

Heating can be an issue & over heat dogs ,give them dry throats & increase the risk of disease .

Our kennels the dogs in winter are shut in so its like a laundry set up,the kennel is fully roofed so out of the weather & draft free as possible .There sleeping area is in a nook & the all kennel doors arent opposite each other .This means the draft doesn't just blow from one side to another .

The yards outside we havea combo of grass & paved,After thousands of dollars damage done yearly & water restrictions ended up paving for the garden killers & its also better in winter for the coated & aged dogs as they don't get so wet .

The grass ones are wire under the grass one side to other incase someone tries to escape .

Dividing walls between runs is a must ,many people think its great for social outings but they don't consider there is no off switch available for dogs that pace back & forth all day ,In 40 plus degrees you want all dogs to be quiet & calm .

As for grooming charge for over the top coats ,i am a full time groomer & have all the gear & experience in brushing coats BUT some full coated breeds can be a 3/4 hr task each week ,winter takes longer due to the blow drying time & the coat getting damp .

For hosing if the dogs aren't outside & one has to factor the winter we can shut ours in there sleeping area where we then hose the run,scrape dry & the dog is in a dry run not getting wet or slipping.

Pick the grade slope wisely ,most don't select one step enough for hosing we wish we had thought of that more when we built ours .

The decide on your insurance company & see what they will cover you for.No point saying you will walk the dogs if the insurance/liability doesn't really cover that most cover what happens in the set areas.

My advice think of the wors case scenarios & build a kennel that can survive that .

We originally had wooden internal doors that we used for shutting them in at night,after a few large breeds eating the doors off we have security doors (solid) .

This also comes in handy feeding 2 dogs as you shut 1 in/1 out .Some use tie hooks but we don't feel safe using that unknown dogs .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a thunder phobic dog who is worse on sedative medication so I would like a sound proof area for her to go into. One that she can't escape from and that she wouldn't damage herself in. She also stresses if she doesn't have human time so I would like one on one time for her too.

No interactions with other dogs as she is elderly and has back problems would be nice too and if I left bedding for her to get it back in the same condition I left it in.

--Lhok

OSoSwift try looking at www.boardingkennels.org

Great site with plenty of photos about kennel set ups from around the world.

Advice areas including articles about:

•The Caring Kennel: Minimising Stress for Kennelled Dogs

•Just Dogs? Or Part of the Family?

•Boarding Kennels or Dog Hotel - What is the Difference?

•How to Tell the Difference in Boarding Kennels Standards

•Just look for Kennel Photos!

•Top 10 Kennel Sins to Avoid

•Boarding Kennels Fees - What Should You Pay?

•Word of Mouse: Online Recommendations

•The Kennel Revolutionaries

Plenty of photos to give you some inspiration. They also have a sister site: www.kenneldesign.org which deals with the building of kennels, again with plenty of pics, some plans of smaller English style and scale operations.

Edited by wayrod

I want someone who will feed exactly what I want and take note of the notes I give on check in.

Someone who will not mix my dogs with others (or even my other dogs) without my permission (I may have two dogs that fight and need kennelling separately!!)

I want clean facilities which are managed so the dogs are not left in wet runs if possible when they are being cleaned (which leaves dogs coats stinky!!)

I want a facility that will not insist on the dogs being vaccinated and chemically treated up the wazoo.

I want someone handling my dogs who has at least some dog knowledge when it comes to behaviour and management.

I want them to have some attention if possible while there, particularly on longer stays.

I want facilities that are well designed to minimise stress (there is a LOT that can be done in this respect)

I want decent sized runs for large dogs!!

:D

I have also had dogs that would fight to the death so I would not mix dogs unless it was specified they should be

What size do you consider adequate for a large breed?

and no dogs left in wet runs :)

I want someone who will feed exactly what I want and take note of the notes I give on check in.

Someone who will not mix my dogs with others (or even my other dogs) without my permission (I may have two dogs that fight and need kennelling separately!!)

I want clean facilities which are managed so the dogs are not left in wet runs if possible when they are being cleaned (which leaves dogs coats stinky!!)

I want a facility that will not insist on the dogs being vaccinated and chemically treated up the wazoo.

I want someone handling my dogs who has at least some dog knowledge when it comes to behaviour and management.

I want them to have some attention if possible while there, particularly on longer stays.

I want facilities that are well designed to minimise stress (there is a LOT that can be done in this respect)

I want decent sized runs for large dogs!!

:D

No dogs would be run togther if the owner specified no as I have had my own dogs that would kill each other so any instructions like that would be adhered to.

What do you consider an adequate size for large dogs?

No dogs left in wet runs or hosed with dogs in them

OsoSwift,

As an owner/operator of a small kennel designed and built ourselves, I shall play devils advocate and give you some things to think of.

Devils advocate is good :)

If you expected to meet most of the needs people are asking for then I hope you have $1,000,000...... have you done any costings.... aircon for kennels...Watering systems...heating in floor etc..... really adds up. Good quality fencing costs a fortune, bigger runs cost more..... If you take into account that fencing can be $60 per metre then a good size pen has an inside area of 2mx2m and outside area of 2mx8m is costing over $1,000 for the outside area without adding flooring or the cost of the inside area or outside excercise paddocks, landscaping etc. Having a draftperson draw up a design $3,000, approval with council can cost $2,000 plus.

Yes I have done costing including council approval which I have and I have researched materials fences etc and have costings and quotes for all of those. I did originally want my exercise yards bigger but due to the cost of fencing had to make them a little smaller, I do eventually want to fence larger yards as an add on. I have researched building it, then changed my mind due to cost, then made it smaller etc. I feel the runs are of a good size, bigger would be nicer but as you have already pointed out cost is factored into that decision

Hence why some of the new kennels (such as Hanrob) are using prefabricated concrete factory panels and then they have 4 to 8 sqm size pens with vinyl floors that can be hosed down - they have fancy playground equipment with playground soft flooring which costs an absolute fortune - Huge number of staff to brush and supervise - however these kennels are charging $40-$80 PER DAY..... therefore if a family have two dogs (Which is very common) and are going away for a 10 day holiday the cost can end up around $600 - many families won't pay this. Big elaborate kennels also rely on having large numbers of dogs to help to cover their overheads.

Staff numbers can kill your business - Considering man hours to brush poodles every day or walking dogs of leads twice a day to toilet..... if you had 50 dogs you would need 10 min per day per dog and this would take two full time staff 8 hours to achieve....... You need to design your layout to give the least amount of manhours.

yes that has been considered and if someone did want a dog like a poodle groomed then yes it would have to be charged for. I do consider basic grooming part of adequate care though. The dogs would not be walked on lead to toilet there are grassed yards. If I had long term boarders then I would look at on lead walks, which of course would have to be covered by insurance

Often people are sold an the razzle dazzle of what the upmarket kennel is offering, but if you do the math I have to question what they can actually achieve. As an example: I was in Texas at a 4 day conference at a big Upmarket Kennel - I could see the (4 only) exercise paddocks all of the four days - the kennel had over 100 dogs in when we did the tour on the first day but I didnt see ANY DOGS IN ANY PADDOCK AT ANY TIME.... sheese........

my advise (this is what I did) Visit many kennels and look at there setup - go behind the scenes not the public show - determine what you think is important (ie what you would like for your dogs) and viable (costing) - zero in on providing the best you can under this and then market yourr kennel to people who feel the same - you will then build a loyal and happy client base who will love how you operate - you cant please everyone.... I wouldnt brush a poodle every day or even every second day - unless they want to pay and extra $40 a day for the time..... and even then I really don't want to as I am busy looking after all the other dogs - Therefore I dont get those clients who want or expect this service which is fine - just remember to be honest with everyone about what you really offer and you will succeed.

Yes I plan to be perfectly honest. In reality it would be rare down here to have a dog in for boarding that would require that amount of brushing. I would look at as a case by case basis

Even playing devils advocate, I shall say it is a great business to run but there is much much more to it than playing with dogs...... good luck.[

I am very aware there is much more to it than playing with dogs. I have worked at a boarding kennel in the past as well veterinary hospitals, groomed for 15 years and training. I do have a fair idea that most of what you do it pick up poo and clean. I will only do basic grooming, if they wish to have more then they can book the mobile groomer to groom the dog thoroughly

The kennel I have used has big dogs and small and elderly dogs in totally different buildings. In the past when I have used one without that I have found my shelties were overwhelmed by the noise and level of activity. I have also used kennels that had small blocks of 4-6 kennels with an attached exercise yard but separate from each other which would also help minimise noise

To have heating & air con the building would have to be totally enclosed .

This doesn't meet most councils guidelines for starters & doesn't allow air flow ,quality light all year round.

I have approval for my design which does include airconditioning. I would never use evaporative and due to our weather and patterns it would not need to be used continuously for days at a time

I owuldn't want my dogs in a enclosed kennel with no natural airflow & evap air cons the heat would be horrific .

Heating can be an issue & over heat dogs ,give them dry throats & increase the risk of disease .

The heating would be a tile fire and it would not be allowed to ebcome overheated, more to take the chill of the air to make it comfortable. I am aware it would be silly to have high temperatures as not all dogs are indoor doogs and some may have heavy coats such as a Malamute for example

Our kennels the dogs in winter are shut in so its like a laundry set up,the kennel is fully roofed so out of the weather & draft free as possible .There sleeping area is in a nook & the all kennel doors arent opposite each other .This means the draft doesn't just blow from one side to another .

yep good point

The yards outside we have a combo of grass & paved,After thousands of dollars damage done yearly & water restrictions ended up paving for the garden killers & its also better in winter for the coated & aged dogs as they don't get so wet .

The grass ones are wire under the grass one side to other incase someone tries to escape .

We do not have the water estrictions that Perth does, so that wouldn't be quite so bad. All exercise areas will have a concrete footing that extends 600mm each side of the fence so dogs cannot dig under.

Dividing walls between runs is a must ,many people think its great for social outings but they don't consider there is no off switch available for dogs that pace back & forth all day ,In 40 plus degrees you want all dogs to be quiet & calm .

Yes I agree

As for grooming charge for over the top coats ,i am a full time groomer & have all the gear & experience in brushing coats BUT some full coated breeds can be a 3/4 hr task each week ,winter takes longer due to the blow drying time & the coat getting damp .

yep it will be basic grooming, a full coated full groom would have to be done by a groomer not myself as I won't have time for that

For hosing if the dogs aren't outside & one has to factor the winter we can shut ours in there sleeping area where we then hose the run,scrape dry & the dog is in a dry run not getting wet or slipping.

Pick the grade slope wisely ,most don't select one step enough for hosing we wish we had thought of that more when we built ours .

The decide on your insurance company & see what they will cover you for.No point saying you will walk the dogs if the insurance/liability doesn't really cover that most cover what happens in the set areas.

Yes we have discussed adequate slope with the concretor. Of course insurance will be checked. If on lead walks outside the kennel area is not covered then we will have to tell people we cannot offer it

My advice think of the worse case scenarios & build a kennel that can survive that .

We originally had wooden internal doors that we used for shutting them in at night,after a few large breeds eating the doors off we have security doors (solid) .

This also comes in handy feeding 2 dogs as you shut 1 in/1 out .Some use tie hooks but we don't feel safe using that unknown dogs .

Yep will have a solid door to divide the kennels for cleaning, drying out and seperate for feeding if required

I have a thunder phobic dog who is worse on sedative medication so I would like a sound proof area for her to go into. One that she can't escape from and that she wouldn't damage herself in. She also stresses if she doesn't have human time so I would like one on one time for her too.

No interactions with other dogs as she is elderly and has back problems would be nice too and if I left bedding for her to get it back in the same condition I left it in.

--Lhok

One on one time yep, the kennels would be insulated inside and the runs fully enclosed but I wouldn't have a sound proof area. The bedding you would get back washed, dry etc. As for if it is chewed ect I guess that would depend on what your girl did to it while staying. Many dogs will shred things boarding that they wouldn't at home

OSoSwift try looking at www.boardingkennels.org

Great site with plenty of photos about kennel set ups from around the world.

Advice areas including articles about:

•The Caring Kennel: Minimising Stress for Kennelled Dogs

•Just Dogs? Or Part of the Family?

•Boarding Kennels or Dog Hotel - What is the Difference?

•How to Tell the Difference in Boarding Kennels Standards

•Just look for Kennel Photos!

•Top 10 Kennel Sins to Avoid

•Boarding Kennels Fees - What Should You Pay?

•Word of Mouse: Online Recommendations

•The Kennel Revolutionaries

Plenty of photos to give you some inspiration. They also have a sister site: www.kenneldesign.org which deals with the building of kennels, again with plenty of pics, some plans of smaller English style and scale operations.

Thank you Wayrod I will most definately have a look. I have done heaps of searching on the net, both within Australia and overseas. I will wait until the kids are in bed to look at this one so I can concentrate properly :)

Most important, my dog likes the people and acts pleased to see them - usually notice this when I go back to get her. I don't see the people yanking dogs by the neck with the lead, no scolding or hitting dogs.

they feed what I provide - I provided one extra days worth of food just in case - and I think they fed her a double ration on the last day and wondered why she wasn't very hungry when the second lot went out. Oops.

The shelters are sheltered - ie heated / air con, mozzie proofed would be nice (or mozzie zapper), and space where dogs can get away from the other dogs - not open to being bullied or intimidated. Ie a solid partition at one end so the dog can get some peace from the other dogs when it wants. And maybe open at the other end so it can interact if it wants - though this might be risky depending on the neighbouring dog's excitement levels.

Exercise with a matched dog. For mine I'd like her to be with a run-alot dog. But she matches with every dog (except rough players), so sometimes she gets more exercise times because she goes in with the old dogs and puppies as well as the boisterous ones.

Grooming eg a daily brush for 5-10 minutes or so would be nice. Would pay extra for this.

Clean environment ie no build up of dog crap.

Hydrobath before return - dogs can get a bit doggy in a boarding kennel environment. Though quick trip to beach and hose off fixed it.

If I mention a tummy rash and grass - that they check this even if she doesn't get to go on the grass. I found out for the first time - mine will get tummy rash from concrete only. If I say "don't let her do any commando crawling greetings" I mean it for a reason. Ie all greetings should be supervised and she shouldn't crawl. Drop is ok, crawling = rash.

secure runs. I'm pretty sure my dog can jump 6' (1.8m) if she wants to. 2m of corrogated iron does not look impossible. If I'm not there, she might want to. So runs with lids or very high fences (3m) - at least at the boundary - or a double fence at the boundary so she can't get a run up. Or one of those fall inwards floppy cat and fox proof fences. Probably need to be dig proof too.

I'd like grass exercise areas but the tummy rash would need to be managed.

Nice to have access to vet and administration of medication (eg for the tummy rash) if needed. Last place had this but failed to notice the tummy rash cos she wasn't chewing or scratching at it.

Both boarding kennels I have used, allowed me to provide some bedding and toys and kept them clean. I provided a couple of tshirts and jumpers in zip lock bags that smelled like me to add to the bed as needed.

I would like dog to get a treat or meal in the kennel area after exercise. One boarding place did this, the other said - can't do that cos of bloat. Not even a treat. I'm not sure about that. Especially if the food is packed in a squirrel dude so she can't eat it all at once.

I like the plastic basket bed. One place had one of these in the more sheltered end of the kennel and a hammock bed in the more open end.

I prefer someone on site with the dogs all the time. And I would prefer to be able to drop off or pick up any time between 8am ish and 6pm ish. Given the way I travel, I would probably be able to give notice of when would be likely especially for drop off, but it's annoying to be restricted to 1 hour in the morning and one in the afternoon - when the time to get there can vary by half an hour or more, or to be restricted to a couple of hours in the afternoon for drop off, and in the morning for pick up - and be closed (no pick up or drop off) for a whole day !!! Last place, I had to pay for extra time and be apart from my dog longer than needed at both ends of the trip because of this.

Pretty sure my dog spent a lot of time at the last boarding kennel acting like a yoyo at the fence. Boing boing boing... but she seemed happy enough and liked the workers there. Got a good claw trim out of it - as well as a scary tummy rash.

If the kennel is in a fire prone area - full fire fighting facilities and protected kennels - or an evacuation plan if there is a fire nearby or a catastrophic forecast (eg if a fire does break out they can't protect anyone). A boarding kennel (I think it was greyhounds) got burned near Canberra a few years back - but after their really big fires. Some dogs were saved but many were killed.

Many dogs destroy there bedding no kennel can guarantee what damage your dog may do to it & no owner can guarantee there dog wont do something it hasn't before.

We encourage clients not to bring there favourite bedding for that reason alone but something if destroyed isn't the end of the world.

We wouldn't build a sound proof room,the expense alone could not cater for the use to make it hygenic to hose out would mean a great expense & no kennel can justify it .

We have never been asked about such room & board many storm phobic dogs .

This point alone is an interesting one because you get people who ring up & think your rates are expensive but if we get dogs with such issues & the storm comes through at 2/3 am we will go up the kennel & ensure all are fine ,yep we work 24/7 365 days of the year .

For the other category:

Cleanliness, including good lighting that allows you to see if it's clean, and no smell of urine.

Real play time, several hours a day, in a play group. This requires supervision by a person who is pretty good at judging dog behaviour and able to intervene if things go wrong. (My dogs are dog friendly and love play. I want this used to advantage, but don't want them put out in the yard with some DA dog).

(Some kennels claim they exercise the dogs . . . this means kicking them out of their kennels for 15 minutes so they can hose down).

No hosing down when dogs are in kennels.

Direct involvement in the kennel by either the owner or a good full time manager. Dogs not left with some poorly paid youngster who isn't going to know what to do if something goes wrong.

Reasonable policy re. viewing the kennels before booking in.

. . . and of course . . . price.

Yep I would pay an extra fee, I know how much effort it takes! :)

Also really important to me is the boarding kennel are able to brush my dog every day/2nd day (STD poodle) and do a PROPER job :) I'd be livid if I came back and he was knotty/matted as I brush him alot to avoid that :)

Out of interest would you expect to pay an additional Grooming fee for this?

Simply from reading the OPs posts here I would think that MOST people should be more than happy with how she intends to operate. Some people will never find what they are looking for, and others may think they are finding that elsewhere but in reality may not be ;)

Ideally I would want double fencing everywhere.

I had a bad experience with the kennel master not putting our dog on leash when he was returning her to us.

Open gate + husky+ major freeway = heart attack!

Esky is pretty full on in playing with other dogs, so single playtime for her.

The one thing I would love would be structured exercise ie treadmill, particularly if it is during our peak sporting season. Free running wouldn't be enough :)

Ideally I would want double fencing everywhere.

I had a bad experience with the kennel master not putting our dog on leash when he was returning her to us.

Open gate + husky+ major freeway = heart attack!

Esky is pretty full on in playing with other dogs, so single playtime for her.

The one thing I would love would be structured exercise ie treadmill, particularly if it is during our peak sporting season. Free running wouldn't be enough :)

I would hope that any dog savy person would always put a dog on a lead - yikes no wonder you had a heart attack!!

Yes we will have double fences/gates/doors between doggies and freedom. Also will be stipulated that all dogs are brought in/out on lead :)

I guess with the treadmill it would most likely have a very small amount of animals that would use it purely becasue it would need to be a trained thing. You can't just throw any dog on it and ask them to exercise.

Down here there are a VERY small amount of people that do dog sports, ie me and two friends who actively compete/travel :)

Simply from reading the OPs posts here I would think that MOST people should be more than happy with how she intends to operate. Some people will never find what they are looking for, and others may think they are finding that elsewhere but in reality may not be ;)

I hope so but I do realise that I cannot keep everyone happy. My main aims are to run a prodcutive business that has happy safe dogs and happy owners so I will have loyal repeat customers and dogs that want to come visit and drag their owners in the door :)