Change In My Dog's Personality

nelsona

Have the dog physically checked out, have your father physically checked out, then look into behaviourist for the dog and asses a possible change in people's behavioural changes... and was the dog gradually dosed down off the cortisone, because they should be?

Thanks so much to everyone for help

My dog has been taken off cortisone gradually.

I haven't brushed him lately as he avoids my company.

I feed him beef heats, chicken hearts, chicken necks, giblets'

tinned mackerel, ricotta cheese, egg, carrots, fruit (lately plums)

My father is 88 and he himself said a week ago that he believes

the dog clings to him as he senses he (my father) won't live long

(I don't necessarily think that but perhaps indeed he is sick)

I talked to a family member who remarked that our father does not look well

lately and has lost weight.

Needless to say both, the father and the dog are going for a medical check- up

I will let you know the outcome

Thanks again

Edited by nelsona

Hoping all goes well, perhaps look at some low allergen super premium dry as a base, then add one of the menu items, one seperate item per week to see if this triggers anything skin or behavior wise. I really hope for the best outome for your father, your Shepherd and most importantly you. With negative reactions from your own dog it must be making you feel pretty awful. Try not to show any emotion at all around your dog as hard as it is, and even though he is 10 perhaps try some obedience or trick training when your father is in bed to work on the bond. I would feel so upset, anxious and confused if my dog stopped responding to me. It would also break my trust with them. There are some good behaviorists on this forum who may be able to give you some short term exercises whilst you await the tests. I would also put the dog in the laundry to sleep at night. Sorry this has happened.

I would feel so upset, anxious and confused if my dog stopped responding to me. It would also break my trust with them. There are some good behaviorists on this forum who may be able to give you some short term exercises whilst you await the tests. I would also put the dog in the laundry to sleep at night.

:( I find this sad .... that you would mistrust a dog because it was either unwell, or keeping someone who is very unwell/fragile, company.I would also feel sad for a dog ,who for 10 years has been sleeping with the family to be suddenly excluded and locked in a laundry.

Nelsona.. I hope the vet/Doctor can shed some light on what's happening .. just support your dog , make walks a wonderful time for you both , and I wish you all the best.

I would feel so upset, anxious and confused if my dog stopped responding to me. It would also break my trust with them. There are some good behaviorists on this forum who may be able to give you some short term exercises whilst you await the tests. I would also put the dog in the laundry to sleep at night.

:( I find this sad .... that you would mistrust a dog because it was either unwell, or keeping someone who is very unwell/fragile, company.I would also feel sad for a dog ,who for 10 years has been sleeping with the family to be suddenly excluded and locked in a laundry.

Nelsona.. I hope the vet/Doctor can shed some light on what's happening .. just support your dog , make walks a wonderful time for you both , and I wish you all the best.

Mistrust in the sense of not understanding the reactions. I didnt mean it in a negative way. Also, removing the dog from its obsession for a while may be useful for its master. I of all people know the importance of inclusion of my animals into our pack considering my chooks free range with my dogs and my dogs free range with my young family all day every day, but I also know how potentially harmful obsessions can become.

• 3 months later...

I am sorry to be coming back so late.

I took everybody's advice and my father was taken to his doctor.

It turned out that there was in fact a health issue.

My father had strong anemia and he is taking iron supplements.

He is much better now and my dog is back to normal.

Thanks again.

I am sorry to be coming back so late.

I took everybody's advice and my father was taken to his doctor.

It turned out that there was in fact a health issue.

My father had strong anemia and he is taking iron supplements.

He is much better now and my dog is back to normal.

Thanks again.

WOW!! that's amazing, and good news too!

Its amazing what dogs can pick up on, my 2 have deffinatly picked up on my illness if im about to have a fall diesel will stick to me like glue and when i hit the deck he almost gard's me, Ronnie goes running to find someone to help she will tug on people's pants and tell people off if they dont follow her to me.

Some may scoff at my advice, but I feel dogs are very intuitive. I feel that not only should the dog have a full health check, but so should your father. Sometimes unusual loyalties are forged because of unkown medical factors.

This was my first thought too. ^^^

For the last few months, I have had an injured knee. It's fine to walk on, just hurts like hell whenever I put any external pressure on the kneecap. I don't bandage it, I don't limp or anything and I've never put any creams on it - yet one of my rescues - a little foxy x named Princess - often comes up to it and makes a fuss sniffing it with great concern. I didn't realise at first - but then it hit me a few weeks ago - she senses my sore knee!!

Same for when Whitey boy when he was still with us. He'd have seizures and many a time I knew a seizure was coming by the other dogs pre warning me. They'd just get this certain look in their eyes and move away from him.

I knew when Whitey was going to have one because he'd start doing this head shaking thing first, but the other dogs sensed an impending seizure before the head shaking even started.

ETA Just saw your update Nelsona. Great to hear all has been sorted and that your Dad has seen a Doc and got the meds he needs. Thank Dog your boy picked up on your Dad not being well when he did. :thumbsup:

Edited by k9angel

Great news all round. Congratulations to your dog - he was trying very hard to tell something and now that he's been heard, your Dad has received the medical attention he needs. Fantastic :D.

I hope you can work out what is causing your dog the allergies he has.

Calendula Tea can help a lot in soothing and healing the skin whilst you're trying to find the cause. But if the cause remains, the allergies would continue. Good luck with that.

:)

Thanks so much Erny, I will try this tea

and thank you everybody again,

My father didn't just have anemia, but a very strong one.

It was incredible how protective my dog was of him

It shows that we should never ignore what dogs are trying to tell us.